Agnes Ralston, wife of Christopher Ingram, died 20 October 1918, aged 72; also Christopher Ingram, husband of above, died 30 June 1924, aged 81.
FATAL FIRE AT AVONDALE
ELDERLY WOMAN BURNED TO DEATH
A fatal fire occurred at Avondale on Saturday evening, which resulted in the death of an elderly woman, Mrs Agnes Ingram, aged 72 years, residing at St George's Road, Avondale.
A young man named Hugh Heron was passing the house at about 7.30 on Saturday evening, when he noticed smoke issuing from the house. He immediately rushed inside and extinguished the outbreak with a few buckets of water. He then noticed Mrs Ingram lying on the floor badly burned. Dr Florence Keller was immediately summoned, but on arrival she pronounced life extinct. The husband of deceased was in the yard at the time, and it is thought that deceased, who had been ironing, had gone into the room to put away some clothes, and that a candle which she was carrying set fire to the wall. Deceased was an old resident of Avondale.
Auckland Star 21 October 1918
DEATH FROM BURNS.
OLD LADY SUCCUMBS.
FATALITY AT AVONDALE.
An old resident of Avondale, Mrs. Agnes Ingram, aged 72,
died at midnight on Sunday as the results of burns received the previous
evening. At an inquest held by Mr E C Cutten, S M, yesterday, evidence was
given by Hugh Heron, a next-door neighbour, to the effect that seeing smoke
issuing from the house occupied by Mr and Mrs Ingram, he rushed in, and found
Mr Ingram endeavouring to extinguish a fire in the bathroom by means of buckets
of water. The room was full of smoke, and when witness succeeded in putting out
the fire, which was confined to the woodwork, he saw on the floor what he
thought was some clothes smouldering. When he threw water over them there was a
movement, and he then discovered that Mrs Ingram was lying there. David Ralston
Ingram, a son of deceased, said that he saw his mother on Sunday. She told him
that, hearing a crackling of burning in the bathroom, she went to investigate,
but was overcome by the smoke, and could not find her way out. She then became
unconscious, and did not know what happened afterwards. Dr Florence Keller
attended the deceased after the accident. Evidence was also given that Mr Ingram
was very deaf. The inquest was adjourned until to-day to obtain medical
evidence as to the nature of Mrs Ingram's injuries.
VERDICT BY THE CORONER.
Dr F Keller said that when she saw deceased at 9 p.m., Mrs Ingram
was unconscious. Death-occurred at midnight. Death was due to shook following
burns. While conscious for a time deceased said she was sitting in the dining room
when she heard a noise in the bathroom. She found the room on fire and tried to
put out the flames. She felt herself being burned and then lost consciousness.
The coroner found that death was due to shock caused by burns received in
endeavouring to extinguish a fire.
MR C INGRAM
A resident of the Auckland province for nearly 44 years, Mr Christopher Ingram, passed away on Monday at the residence of his daughter, Mrs J H Webb, Epsom. Mr Ingram was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, 81 years ago and served his apprenticeship as an engineer on the Clyde. With his young family arrived in New Zealand in November, 1880. After a two years' residence in Whangaroa, as engineer in the Auckland Timber Company’s mill, Mr Ingram went to Avondale to erect the machinery for the brick works established by the late Mr W Hunt. He became manager of the works, remaining in that position through the various changes of ownership until 1918, when failing health necessitated his retirement. Mr Ingram was a prominent worker in the Avondale Presbyterian Church, being for many years both manager and elder, and for over 20 years superintendent of the Sunday School.
Mrs Ingram died six years ago. Mr Ingram is survived by five
sons—Messrs W N Ingram, of Swanson, C and J Ingram, of Victoria, Australia, D Ingram,
of Avondale, and R S Ingram, of Okoroire—and a married daughter, Mrs J H Webb,
of Epsom. There are 19 grandchildren.