The organ of St John's Parish Church was built in 1894 by the English organ builder 'Father' Henry Willis, given by the Revd. Cyril Stacey, Curate of the Parish for two decades. It is a fine, powerful instrument. Few like it remain, unmodified from its original construction. About half of it was working when work undertaken by Liverpudlian organ builder David Wells restored it to original working condition in 2004-5. The Welsh Heritage Lottery Fund granted £199,000 towards the cost of £265,000. The rest was raised by enthusiasts and public support.
Click to see the archive of restoration work photographs
St John's organist Philip Thomas, took on the role of project co-ordinator, and Organ Curator. He is co-organiser of Cardiff Organ Events, which promotes organ concerts in several churches across the city. Any enquiries about organ concerts at St John's, and use of the organ should be directed to him at the church office.
The annual programme of monthly Friday lunchtime organ recitals for 2014 can be downloaded or viewed by clicking on the link 2014LTCs.pdf below.
St John's Father Willis Organ, is located to the south side of the
choir, and it speaks into the church as well as the chancel. It is located in a 15th century aisle, which until the middle of the 19th century, contained the pews belonging to the Mayor and Corporation of Cardiff, known as the Aldermen's aisle.
In addition to recitals, the instrument is used to accompany the Parish Sung Eucharist and Evensong every Sunday, and for many other major worship occasions throughout the year.