from Susan at Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy
For the Torrone Semifreddo:
(Adapted from Marcella Hazan)
6 ounces hard Italian torrone, with almonds
6 tablespoons sugar
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon dark rum
A pinch of salt
1/2 cup carmelized almonds (1/2 cup sliced almonds and 2 tbsp. sugar)
- Line a a freezable loaf pan with a long sheet of plastic wrap, making sure that it hangs over the sides at least 3 inches. Set aside.
- In a small saute pan, add almonds and 2 tbsp. sugar. Saute over high heat until sugar starts to carmelize and the almonds are toasted. Spread out in the bottom of the terrine mold. Set aside.
- Use a sturdy chopping knife to cut the nougat into small pieces, then grind it to a granular consistency in the food processor.
- Separate the eggs, keeping only four of the whites.
- Pour the yolks into a mixing bowl, adding all the sugar. Whip them until they form a foamy mass.
- In another bowl, preferably a chilled steel one, whip the cream until it forms stiff peaks.
- Add the whipped cream, the rum, and the ground nougat to the beaten egg yolks, mixing well to distribute all the ingredients uniformly.
- In a clean bowl, whip the four reserved egg whites together with a pinch of salt until they also form stiff peaks. Fold them gently into the egg yolk, cream, and nougat batter.
- Pour the mixure into the mold, cover with the overhang of plastic wrap and place it in the freezer for at least 8 hours or overnight.
For the Chocolate-Hazelnut Semifreddo:
(Adapted from a mishmash of recipes)
4 large eggs
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 jar Nutella, divided
1 cup heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks and reserved in refrigerator
1 tbsp hazelnut liqueur (I used Frangelico)
1/2 cup roasted pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped
- Heat Nutella in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds to soften it up. Set aside.
- Place eggs and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer. Place mixing bowl over a pot of simmering water and whisk until the eggs are warm, about 2 minutes.
- Place the bowl in mixer stand. Using the whisk attachment, whip the eggs on high speed until pale and tripled in volume, about 5 minutes.
- Add two thirds of the Nutella and mix on low speed until blended. Gently fold in whipped cream and chopped hazelnuts. Scrape mixture into into the mold and spread evenly over the torrone layer. Spoon remaining third of the Nutella lengthwise down center of the mold letting it sink into semifreddo.
- Cover top of pan with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- To serve, lift the terrine out of the mold using the plastic wrap overhang. If the terrine sticks, place the mold on a dish towel soaked in very hot water for a minute or two. This should soften the terrine a bit and make it easier to unmold.
- Cut the semifreddo into 1 inch slices and serve on dessert plates with the garnish of your choice.