from Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy
1 cup fresh Bing cherries, pitted and halved
1/4 cup cherry brandy, such as kirschwasser
2 tablespoons sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup half-and-half
3/4 cup sugar
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Combine cherries, brandy and 2 tablespoons sugar in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer a few minutes until sugar is dissolved and liquid is absorbed. Chill until ready to mix into ice cream.
- Pour 1 cup of the cream into a medium saucepan and add the sugar. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla pod into the saucepan and add the pod to the pot. Warm over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add the remaining cream, the half-and-half, and the vanilla extract.
- Chill mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, for at least eight hours or overnight.
- When ready to churn, remove the vanilla pod (reserve the bean for another use), then freeze in your ice-cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Turn ice cream into a freezer proof container. Mix in cherry mixture and freeze until firm.