1. St. George's Monastery in Wadi Qelt, Israel, began in the fourth century with a few monks who sought the desert experiences of the prophets, and settled around a cave where they believed Elijah was fed by ravens (1 Kings 17:5-6).
This Greek Orthodox monastery was built in the late 5th century A.D. by John of Thebes. He became a hermit and moved from Egypt to Syria Palaestina in 480 CE. The monastery was named St. George after the most famous monk who lived at the site – Gorgias of Coziba. Destroyed in 614 CE by the Persians, the monastery was more or less abandoned after the Persians swept through the valley and massacred the fourteen monks who dwelt there. The Crusaders made some attempts at restoration in 1179. However, it fell into disuse after their expulsion. In 1878, a Greek monk, Kalinikos, settled here and restored the monastery, finishing it in 1901. The traditions attached to the monastery include a visit by Elijah en route to theSinai Peninsula, and St. Joachim, whose wife Anne was infertile, weeping here when an angel announced to him the news of Mary's conception. The bones and skulls of the martyred monks killed by the Persians in 614 CE can still be seen today in the monastery chapel.
This ancient icon of St. George dating back to the 19th century is painted in the style of Greek iconography. It depicts the seven crowns that the Great Martyr won for the seven full years of torture before his martyrdom. In the upper part of the icon are two angels descending from heaven. The angel on the right holds six crowns with his left hand while together, the two angels place the seventh crown on St. George’s head. This proves the promise of God to him.
The historical shrine of St. George comprises the main hall, which dates back to the 10th century. The hall consists of seven rooms with wooden doors leading into them. All the doors are decorated with detailed carvings. The wooden ceilings, also delicately carved, are supported by stone arches. The seven rooms adjoined to the hall resemble a hermitage. Some historians (Russle, Coqqin, Lezine) say they were used as private rooms for the nuns.
In an oblong shape of 23 m long and 9 m wide, it also includes numerous architectural units and decorative doors and windows. The most important of these is the huge door measuring almost 7.6 m high and flanked by two smaller doors. These doors lead to the interior compartment of the martyr’s shrine.
piece divided into units with ornamental wooden fillers.
Part of the frieze on the south ceiling of the main hall contains verses from Psalm 91: “Whoever dwelleth under the defense of the Most High”. The words that appear in the picture are “…to keep thee in all thy ways”.
Within the shrine itself, relics of St. George’s martyrdom are kept from his trial under the Persian King Dadianos. 70 rulers were gathered to cast judgement on St. George’s faith and sentenced him to be tortured. They used all sorts of torturing instruments as well as a chain to which he was tied during his tortures.
This chain is a cause of blessing
because it was put on the body of the martyr where his blood ran. We believe that the things that touch the bodies of saints become a blessing, as the Bible said about Paul: “So that handkerchiefs or aprons were carried away from his body to the sick, and diseases left them and the evil spirits came out of them” (Acts 19:22).
This chain is found in the middle section of the shrine. Through it, and by faith, many miracles take place and evil spirits are overcome.
The new library of the convent was established in 1995 and contains many different books and manuscripts. It was designed on two levels with an audio-visual library.
3. George Monastery Mitt of Damsis , EGYPT
Picture is worth thousand words... please look at the those youtubes expalining and showeing the Monastery