St. George Astronomy Group
The St. George Astronomy Group is an informal association, which is currently changing into a formal club of amateur astronomers in St. George, Toquerville and other nearby communities in southwest Utah.
The group was formed to (a) exchange ideas and
foster fellowship among people with an interest in astronomy, (b) to host
public star parties, and (c) to promote proper lighting and dark skies over southwest Utah.
Membership is open to anyone who
wishes to actively participate in hosting star parties and working for dark
skies over St. George.
People who wish to know about the group's public
activities can join our mailing list.
SGAG STAR PARTY
QUAIL CREEK STATE PARK
(south boat ramp area)
FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 30TH
8:00 to 11 PM
OCTOBER CLUB MEETING INFORMATION
October 11th General club meeting at DSU
September 30th, Star party at Quail Creek State Park. South boat ramp.
September 13th, First General Club Meeting of SGAG
August 26th Star Party at mountain meadows, Ut.
August 10th Star Party for Southern Utah Veterans home.
- Virgin River Star Party Friday July 8th 9:30-11PM.
- June 10th Mountain Meadows Star Party 9-11PM.
- May 12-14 Astronomy training for Parashant National Park.
- May 9th, Solar telescope viewing of the transit of Mercury. At St. George Ut. in Town Square.
- April 29th, Astronomy presentation at Sunriver assisted living center. St. George.
- April 12, Solar presentation/viewing at Southern Utah Veterans Home in Ivins.
- April 6th, solar/astronomy presentation at Arrowhead Elementary.
- March 11, Members only..... star party at Dick Stone's Home.
- February 10th, Star Party for Gorge Washington Academy students and parents.
- February 4th DSU Space Club star party for Bloomington Elementary. 7-8:30 PM
- January 16th, Star Party at Ivins Ut.
- January 16, 2015: Star/Comet Party, Mark Shelton's home
- February 20-21, 2015 Joint star party with Ogden Astronomical Society
- March 20, 2015 Star Party at Gunlock Reservoir
- April 9, 2015 Astronomy presentation at Snow Canyon High.
- April 25, 2015 Star Party.......Astronomy Day,,,,,,,,,, Cancelled because of rain
- May 7, 2015 Astronomy presentation at Arrowhead Elementary
- May 21, 2015 Public Star Party at Unity Park. Ivins
- June 12, 2015 Star Party at Toquerville City Park
- June 17-20, 2015 Bryce Canyon Astronomy Festival, Star Party
- June 26, 2015 Sunset on the Square, St. George City Town Square, Star Party
- July 10, 2015 Silver Reef Museum, Leeds, Ut (Star Party for the Museum)
- August 12, 2015 Perseid Meteor Shower, Star Party, Ivins Ut.
- September 11, 2015 Leeds Wild West Star Party. Silver Reef Museum. Leeds Ut.
- September 27, 2015 Total Eclipse of the Moon, Unity Park, Ivins Ut.
- October 9th 2015, Pipe Spring Star Party (Telescope operators not needed)
- October 9th 2015, Member Only Star Party at Dick Stone's Home
- December 11th 2015 Annual Christmas Party. Sonny Boys Restaurant in Hurricane, Ut.
- April 26, 2014: We participated in the celebration of Dark Sky Designation for Grand Canyon Parashant National Monument at Dixie State University on April 26
- May 10, 2014: Springdale's Astronomy day.
- May 30, 2014: Star Party, Manning Butterworth's home
- June 27, 2014 Star Party, Dick Stones home
- June 25-28, 2014: Annual Bryce Canyon Astronomy Festival
- July 19, 2014: Star Party at Pine Valley
- August 23, 2014: Star Party at Pine Valley
- September 18-20, 2014: Great Basin Astronomy Festival
- September 24-30, 2014: Goblin Valley astronomy training and star parties. John Mosley is working with Goblin Valley State Park.
- September 29, 2014: Instant Star Party, Dick Stones home
- October 23, 2014: Solar Eclipse. 2 Public Solar Viewing Locations.
- We will also issue a series of press releases that inform the public of events of local astronomical interest, such as eclipses. We plan to become Dixie’s source for local astronomical news.
- November 22, Star Party at Dick Stone's Home
- December 2, 2014 Telescope class/demonstration at Gorge Washington Academy
- Christmas Party Dec. 12, 2014. Sonny Boys in Hurricane, Ut