St. George Astronomy Group
The St. George Astronomy Group is an informal association of amateur astronomers in St. George, Toquerville and other nearby communities in southwest Utah.
The group was formed to (a) exchange ideas and
foster fellowship among people with an interest in astronomy, (b) to host
public star parties, and (c) to promote proper lighting and dark skies over southwest Utah.
are no officers, dues, or formal meetings. Membership is open to anyone who
wishes to actively participate in hosting star parties and working for dark
skies over St. George.
People who wish to know about the group's public
activities can join our mailing list.
2015 Annual Christmas Party
Sonny Boys Restaurant
980 West State Street
Hurricane, Utah 84737
Friday December 11th
Hopefully you got to see the total Lunar eclipse Sunday night. This was the last eclipse in the tetrad of four total Lunar eclipses that began in April of 2014.
The Moon at that time was in a moderately rich star field and you can see several background stars in the image. At about the 9:30 position is a 9th magnitude (faint) star just about to be occulted by the Moon. At about the 3 o'clock-position is a brighter (7th magnitude) star that had reappeared from behind the Moon earlier.
The red color is caused by the Earth's atmosphere and is what has led to the total Lunar eclipse being called a blood moon. If you missed this eclipse, it will be several years before the next one.
Astrophotography by Manning Butterworth
- April 26, 2014: We participated in the celebration of Dark Sky Designation for Grand Canyon Parashant National Monument at Dixie State University on April 26
- May 10, 2014: Springdale's Astronomy day.
- May 30, 2014: Star Party, Manning Butterworth's home
- June 27, 2014 Star Party, Dick Stones home
- June 25-28, 2014: Annual Bryce Canyon Astronomy Festival
- July 19, 2014: Star Party at Pine Valley
- August 23, 2014: Star Party at Pine Valley
- September 18-20, 2014: Great Basin Astronomy Festival
- September 24-30, 2014: Goblin Valley astronomy training and star parties. John Mosley is working with Goblin Valley State Park.
- September 29, 2014: Instant Star Party, Dick Stones home
- October 23, 2014: Solar Eclipse. 2 Public Solar Viewing Locations.
- We will also issue a series of press releases that inform the public of events of local astronomical interest, such as eclipses. We plan to become Dixie’s source for local astronomical news.
- November 22, Star Party at Dick Stone's Home
- December 2, 2014 Telescope class/demonstration at Gorge Washington Academy
- Christmas Party Dec. 12, 2014. Sonny Boys in Hurricane, Ut
- January 16, 2015: Star/Comet Party, Mark Shelton's home
- February 20-21, 2015 Joint star party with Ogden Astronomical Society
- March 20, 2015 Star Party at Gunlock Reservoir
- April 9, 2015 Astronomy presentation at Snow Canyon High.
- April 25, 2015 Star Party.......Astronomy Day,,,,,,,,,, Cancelled because of rain
- May 7, 2015 Astronomy presentation at Arrowhead Elementary
- May 21, 2015 Public Star Party at Unity Park. Ivins
- June 12, 2015 Star Party at Toquerville City Park
- June 17-20, 2015 Bryce Canyon Astronomy Festival, Star Party
- June 26, 2015 Sunset on the Square, St. George City Town Square, Star Party
- July 10, 2015 Silver Reef Museum, Leeds, Ut (Star Party for the Museum)
- August 12, 2015 Perseid Meteor Shower, Star Party, Ivins Ut.
- September 11, 2015 Leeds Wild West Star Party. Silver Reef Museum. Leeds Ut.
- September 27, 2015 Total Eclipse of the Moon, Unity Park, Ivins Ut.
- October 9th 2015, Pipe Spring Star Party (Telescope operators not needed)
- October 9th 2015, Member Only Star Party at Dick Stone's Home
- December 11th 2015 Annual Christmas Party. Sonny Boys Restaurant in Hurricane, Ut.