K-Toy #1


Home

My First K-Toy Experiment

 1/25/07

This page is intended to be a 'diary' of my experimenting with different constructions and configurations of the toy described in the Kenetica Thread.

I had, from an earlier  project a bunch of abec 7 sealed skateboard bearings which are readily available on the internet for very good prices.  I also had some .5 and .3 inch by .25 inch N40 NEO magnets which I wanted to use as well.

Looking at the pictures from the Kenetica toy, I thought I would take a shot at duplicating the basic physical components, ie. use plastic for the rotor and the pacman.

The other day I drew up some configurations of various sized rotors in a cad program, bought some 1/4 inch Plexiglas and then trotted over to my buddies to cut it on his Laser cutter.

The parts I ended up with are very preliminary and are designed to have the best configuration options. Ultimately they will be thrown away as I firm up the best designs for my needs.

 

The following are pictures of the parts I cut along with some descriptions: 

(I think if you click on the images you will see them full size). 

  

 

These are the three parts I cut.

The top one is a candidate for the pacman.

The bottom left is a candidate for the pacman or alternatively a rotor to the larger pacman.

The bottom right is intended to be a rotor to either of the other two.

 

 

This image shows the smallest part (proped up on its bearing), designed to be used as a rotor. 

 

This part is 3 inches across.

There are a number of slots and holes around the perimeter, two of which are filled for illustration.  The smaller holes are for the .33 inch NEO's and the larger holes are for the .5 inch NEO's.  

You can see at the bottom left a .5 inch NEO has been inserted in a hole.

The slots are for holding the NEO's in a different orientation.  You can see this at the top right.

 

In all cases, the NEO's and the bearings are a 'press' fit.  They can be inserted by pressing firmly with your thumb.

 

This is the medium sized part.  It is intended to be used as either a pacman or as a rotor depending on how my experimentation goes.

 

This part is 4 inches in diameter.  You can see that the bearing has been inserted in the center of the rotor.

It also has multiple slots and holes designed to support multiple orientations of NEO's

 

 



This is the largest part.  It is 7 inches in diameter and is designed to be a candidate for the pacman.

 

In this design, there are only positions for .5 inch NEO's either in the flat orientation (the hole) or in a vertical orientation (the slot).


In future iterations of the pacman part, I will include a mounting area for an array.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 This is a shot of the smallest part fully loaded with NEO's and a bearing, ready to be mounted on the device.

 

NB.  The NEO's edge is exactly lined up with the circumference of the disk.  This will allow me to create a device with an extremely small air gap between the rotor and the array on the pacman, hopefully in the small numbers of thou.  (of course this may be contrary to the proper functioning of the device)

 

  

Next step is to design the frame to hold the rotors and pacman.   In addition, in the next iteration of the above parts, I will include holes for pegs which will be used to hold weights.  I will also create a rotor to hold the output weight. 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2/2/07 

 

Update

 

With this update, I have what I consider a finished 'base' model.  

There is:

  • an Input Rotor with an Input Weight
  • a Pacman with an Array and a peg for a string
  • an Output Rotor with a Pulley and an Output weight
  • an input rotor latch for releasing the input weight
  • an output rotor latch for catching the output weight once it is lifted.

Depending on how things transpire in the DC, additional latches, ratchets and other rods etc can be added to orchestrate the timing and movement.

At the current state of the design it is ready to be cut on the laser and assembled.  I do have a couple more things to attend to such as the correct hole sizing for certain tapped holes etc. 

You may notice in the design certain slots facilitating the placement of some of the parts.  I did this to allow for the greatest flexibility for change as knowledge of the workings of the device present themselves. 

These are rather crude screen videos of the device working:

 Video 1 

 Video 2

In these simple videos, I am moving the various components in sequence by hand, but hopefully you will be able to see how it might work once constructed. 

 

The following is a series of images of various elevations of the design.  Click an image to enlarge. 

 

The red object is the output weight latched in the 'up' position after having been lifted by the pacman.

 

 

 

 

 

Notice the weights in red.

 

The small input weight is on the right and is latched at the upright position.

 

The larger weight on the right is the output weight. 

 

 

The red object is the input weight latched in the ‘up’ position, ready for the latch to be lifted allowing the weight to cause the rotor to rotate down. 

 

 

 

 Notice the input weight on the left ready to drop and the output weight on the right ready to be lifted.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Please stay tuned for updates.  Feel free to offer comments on the thread describing this project.