We are looking for the best and brightest in TechComm today.
Did you or your company produce great instruction, information, user support, or promotional content for the web, multiple platforms and mobile devices? Was the content substantially revised within 24 months prior to September 1 of the current year? Help us recognize the best among us.
The Greater New York, Philadelphia and Houston Regional TechComm Competition is now open for entries.
Deadline for submission for all entries is on Thursday, 3.00 pm EST (UTC-5) October 30, 2014.
Why should you enter?
In the words of past awardees...
- Winners receive awards and tangible recognition of achievement
- All entrants receive detailed evaluations from the judges; this objective peer evaluation supports continuous improvement
- Awardees validate their methods and earn visibility
The competition is open to anyone (student or professional) who produces technical communication, training, or content for the web and other devices. Membership in the Society for Technical Communication (STC) is not a requirement and you don't have to belong to the STC New York, Philadelphia or Houston chapters. You may enter work as a team, an individual or on behalf of a colleague.
Enter your best work in the following categories:
- Instructional Materials train users on skills and knowledge using solutions like eLearning, mobile learning, workbooks, wikis, social media, facilitator guides, instructional animations, videos, student guides, tutorials and webinars.
- User Support Materials provide information for the user in performing specific tasks for independent use including performance support, online help, mobile help, job aids, quick start or reference guides, reference documents, user guides and websites.
- Promotional Materials market or promote a product, company, individual, or event that aim to persuade the audience to some action, using integrated figures and text. Examples may include websites, brochures, catalogs, fliers, and posters.
- Informational Materials inform the user without a specific call to action. Examples may include annual reports, articles, books, error messages, magazines, newsletters, periodicals, posters, research papers and websites.
- Contain sufficient technical, scientific, medical, or similar content to qualify as technical communication
- Have been produced or substantially revised within the past two years
- Have been originally prepared for and accepted for publication by a client, employer, or publisher.
- Best of Show - One Best of Show award can be given by the judges every year.
- Distinguished Technical Communication - Clearly superior in all areas. The entry contains no major flaws and few, if any, minor flaws. It applies the principles of technical communication in an outstanding way, particularly in the way that it anticipates and fulfills the needs of its audience.
- Excellence - Consistently meets high standards in all areas. The entry might contain a single major flaw or a few minor flaws. The entry clearly (if slightly imperfectly) demonstrates an exceptional understanding of technical communication principles.
- Merit - Consistently meets high standards in most areas. The entry might contain a small number of major or minor flaws, but it still applies technical communication principles in a highly proficient manner.
- Fill out this Online Entry Form (one for each entry). If you are submitting electronically, you do not need to send printed versions of the entry form. If you are sending physical entries, prepare 4 copies of each entry.
- Pay the Entry fee before packing or sending your entry. You can pay online or by check.
- Pay for Electronic entries using a credit card or a PayPal account: Click the appropriate link below:
- Pay for Physical entries and a shipping charge of $10.00 per entry (For 2 or more entries, pay additional shipping through last link.)
- Student $25.00 + $10.00
- STC Member (NY , PMC or Houston) $50.00 + $10.00
- Member (Other Chapter or Community) $75.00+ $10.00
- Non-STC Member $100.00 + $10.00
- Pay shipping for 2 or more entries (If you have 2 or more physical entries, add the quantity and click Update.)
- Pay by Check: make the check payable to "Society for Technical Communication New York Metro" and send it to:
3. Submit the entries with entry forms by 3:00 pm on October 30, 2014.
- You have 2 options for submission:
- If your entries are available in electronic format, (i.e., PDF files, online help, eLearning / mobile learning, interactive videos, CDs and DVDs), zip and upload your entries.
- If you have physical entries, (i.e., hardcopy, CD/DVDs, manuals, books, publications,
posters or brochures and you are unable to upload your entries),
mail the entries to the address below.
- Complete an online entry form and print 4 copies of the completed entry form.
- Submit 4 copies of the completed form and 4 copies of each entry, (print copies, CDs or DVDs). DO NOT combine multiple entries into one DVD.
- Be sure that your entries will arrive at Karen Levine's office by 3:00 pm on Thursday, October 30, 2014.
Karen Levine, Manager, Technical Documentation, Building 4
Draeger Medical Systems Inc.3124 Commerce Rd
Telford, PA 18969
(To contact Karen Levine, Entries Co-Manager, email: Karen Levine, firstname.lastname@example.org , phone: 215.660.2109)