Read why past awardees entered
- Winners receive awards and tangible recognition of achievement
- All entrants receive detailed evaluations from the judges; this objective peer evaluation supports continuous improvement
- Awardees validate their methods and earn visibility
Who can enter?
The competition is open to anyone (student or professional) who produces technical communication, training material, or content for the web and other devices. Membership in the Society for Technical Communication (STC) is not a requirement and you don't have to belong to the STC New York, Philadelphia or Houston chapters. You may enter work as a team, an individual or on behalf of a colleague.
Enter your best work in the following categories:
- Instructional Materials train users on skills and knowledge using solutions like eLearning, mobile learning, workbooks, wikis, social media, facilitator guides, instructional animations, videos, student guides, tutorials and webinars.
- User Support Materials provide information for the user in performing specific tasks for independent use including performance support, online help, mobile help, job aids, quick start or reference guides, reference documents, user guides and websites.
- Promotional Materials market or promote a product, company, individual, or event that aim to persuade the audience to some action, using integrated figures and text. Examples may include websites, brochures, catalogs, fliers, and posters.
- Informational Materials inform the user without a specific call to action. Examples may include annual reports, articles, books, error messages, magazines, newsletters, periodicals, posters, research papers and websites.
- Contain sufficient technical, scientific, medical, or similar content to qualify as technical communication
- Have been produced or substantially revised within the past two years
- Have been originally prepared for and accepted for publication by a client, employer, or publisher.
How is the competition structured?
STC offers two levels of competition:
- Local and regional
Regional competition entries can earn the following awards in descending order:
- Distinguished Technical Communication - Clearly superior in all areas. The entry contains no major flaws and few, if any, minor flaws. It applies the principles of technical communication in an outstanding way, particularly in the way that it anticipates and fulfills the needs of its audience.
- Excellence - Consistently meets high standards in all areas. The entry might contain a single major flaw or a few minor flaws. The entry clearly (if slightly imperfectly) demonstrates an exceptional understanding of technical communication principles.
- Merit - Consistently meets high standards in most areas. The entry might contain a small number of major or minor flaws, but it still applies technical communication principles in a highly proficient manner.
Only local/regional Distinguished and Excellence awardees qualify for the next level which is the STC International Summit Awards competition.
When is the deadline for entry submission?
All entries should arrive by the Deadline: 3:00 pm EST (1530h UTC-5) on Thursday, October 17, 2013.
How do I submit an entry?
- Fill out this Online Entry Form and if you are sending physical entries (hardcopy) print 4 copies of the completed form when you finish. If you are submitting electronically, you do not need to send printed versions of the entry form.
- Pay the Entry fee before packing or sending your entry. You can pay online or by check.
- Pay for Electronic entries using a credit card or a PayPal account: Click the appropriate link below:
- Pay for Physical entries and a shipping charge of $10.00 per entry (For 2 or more entries, pay additional shipping through last link.)
- Pay by Check: make the check payable to "Society for Technical Communication New York Metro" and send it to:
Mark Yoss, STC New York Metro Treasurer
c/o Career Management Associates, 445 Park Ave., New York, NY 10022
email: Mark Yoss, email@example.com
3. Submit the entries with entry forms by 3:00 pm on October 17, 2013.
- You have 2 options for submission:
- If your entries are available in electronic format, (i.e., PDF files, online help, eLearning / mobile learning, interactive videos, CDs and DVDs), you can zip and upload your entries.
- Send an email to Tom Myers who will send GoogleDrive or FTP instructions to you.
- For each entry, you must fill out the online entry form.
- If you have physical (hardcopy
entries and entries on CD/DVD, i.e., manuals, books, publications,
posters, brochures or DVDs, and you are unable to upload your entries),
mail entries to the address below. For each entry you should have 4 completed entry forms and 4 copies of the entry, (print copies, CDs or DVDs). DO NOT combine multiple entries into one DVD.
Make sure the forms and entries arrive at Karen Levine's office by 3:00 pm on Thursday, October 17, 2013.
Karen Levine, Manager, Technical Documentation, Building 4
Draeger Medical Systems Inc.
3124 Commerce Rd
Telford, PA 18969
Volunteer to be a Competition Judge
Our trained judges are the backbone of the competition.
Read more about judging in the Call for Judges
page and volunteer.
We welcome sponsors for this regional competition! Sponsorship
opportunities include: the TechComm Roadshow, Events, Shipping,
Advertising for Awards Night.
Malu Schloss , 917-312-1567, Jake Kelly, 610-937-0283 and Julie Waxgiser, 646-822-6267