St. Bede's Catholic Church, Newport Pagnell

History of St Bede's

  

In the past the building was a Magistrates Court and a Temperance Hall 

 

1953
Opening of St. Bede's, the building was dedicated by Bishop Parker of Northampton, for years Catholics of Newport Pagnell had attended mass in nearby Wolverton and Olney.

1957
First resident priest, Father Herman Hartmann (a Dutchman)

1961
Father Patrick Connolly became priest at St Bede's

1969
Father Neville McClement was appointed as Parish Priest and St. Bede's was recognised as a Parish Church

1978
Father John Osborne arrived at St. Bede's, during his time the town and the Catholic community increased at a rapid rate

1985
Father Brendan Gorman became Parish Priest

1987
The church underwent a major refurbishment

1993
Brendan Kileen became the first priest to be ordained from St Bede's

1999
St. Bede's was twinned with Christ the King, Kents Hill and Father John Danford took over as parish priest

2003
At the Mass celebrating the 50th anniversary of St. Bede's, Anne Ingham and Pat Murray were awarded the Bene merenti medal for long and exceptional service to the Catholic Church 

2006
Father James appointed Parish Priest, twinning with Christ the King, Kents Hill, continues


Parish Priests of St. Bede's

1953-1957
Father Wilfried Johnston

1957-1961
Father Herman Hartmann

1961-1967
Father Patrick Connolly

1967-1969
Father Everard Faulkner

1969-1975
Father Neville McClement

1976-1978
Father Daniel Kiely

1978-1985
Father John Osborne

1985-1999
Father Brendan Gorman

1999-2005
Father John Danford

2005
Father Chris Whitehouse

2006-
Father James Evans