Courses‎ > ‎Courses offered‎ > ‎

Natural Sciences

Natural Science is a magic and marvellous learning area where you will find out all about how the world works.  In this subject, learners get the opportunity to become “Scientists.”  They observe, ask questions, suggest a theory, plan and do experiments.

 

The subject covers four knowledge areas/strands:

·       Life and living.

·       Planet Earth and beyond.

·       Matters and materials.

·       Energy and Change

 

Natural Science is based on an outcome based approach (OBE).  It strives to enable all learners to achieve their maximum ability by setting outcomes to be achieved at the end of the process.  It encourages a learner-centered and activity based approach to education.

 

Natural Science has been shaped by the search to understand the natural world, viewed through observation, codifying and testing ideas.  It has evolved to become part of the cultural heritage of all nations.

 

Purpose (why do we teach Natural Science?)

·       For the development of and use of scientific processing skills in a variety of settings.

·       For the development of an application of scientific knowledge and understanding.

·       For the appreciation of the relationship and responsibilities between science, society and the environment.

 

What does the learner gain from Natural Science?

·       They can gain skills in an environment that supports creativity, responsibility and growing confidence.

·       They can develop the ability to think objectively and use a variety of forms of reasoning.

·       They can use process skills to investigate, reflect, analyse, synthesize and communicate.

 

Natural Science is allocated an amount of 3hr 35min in a 5 day cycle/weekly.  In a 7 day cycle, 5 periods are allocated.

 

Continuous assessment

In the General Education and Training band (GET), continuous assessment in Natural Science weighs 75% of the learner’s final mark.  The other 25% comes from test and exams.  Learners are required to complete at least 8 formal tasks for the year.  These tasks are structured so as to incorporate as many skills as possible.

 

Formal assessment

Performance-based assessment

(Formative assessment)

Summative assessment

Forms of assessment

·       Presentations

·       Investigation activities

·       Projects

·       Research

·       Assignments

·       Practical demonstration

·       Case studies

·       Simulations

·       Role-play

·       Translation tasks

·       Interviews

·       Questionnaires

·       Structured questions

·       Mind mapping

·       Concept mapping

·       Brainstorming tasks

·       Functional writing

·       Presentations

·       Tests

·       Exams

 

Through Natural Science we share a minds-on (knowledge), hands-on (skills) and hearts-on (attitude) approach to the magic, marvel and mystery of the natural world around us.