History

St. Andrew's has deep roots.
 

Since 1829 people have been gathering as a Presbyterian Christian community in Maple! Our beautiful heritage building (a rare example of Carpenter Gothic in Vaughan) was built in 1862 by a congregation made up mostly of immigrants and their descendants who had settled in this area. Stained glass windows, combined with a simple, inviting, holy atmosphere make St. Andrew's a sanctuary for worship. Those pioneers long ago left a legacy for us! They were motivated by a deep conviction in the goodness of God who led them safely across the seas to this prosperous land of new opportunity.

We share that same conviction today. We continue in our Christian witness as faces from all over the globe gather in the pews to worship God Sunday by Sunday. Typical of our growing diverse community of Vaughan, people from many different countries of origin call St. Andrew's Maple their church home. People from such places as Italy, Caribbean nations, Argentina, Guyana, Sri Lanka, Singapore, India, Germany, the British Isles, the Philippines, France, and Jordan come together to share their common love for God!


Did You Know?

  • The first record is the minutes of a meeting where the decision to build a church was December 15, 1829.  This is what the minutes said: “This is to certify that a number of us inhabitants of the Township of Vaughan, being anxious to enjoy the means of divine grace and being destitute of a suitable house of that purpose, do hereby earnestly solicit the assistance of a generous and discerning public to erect a church on the rear of lot No. 19, 3rd concession of Vaughan, aforesaid.  From 90 to 100 of us, chiefly from Scotland, having lately formed ourselves into a church state, professing the doctrine, discipline, and worship of the Church of Scotland.  Signed by: Neil Malloy, Donald Cameron, and Hugh Earl Beggs”
  • On February 1844, the trustees of the Maple Church decided to purchase a lot on the seventh concession of Vaughan, north of Major Mackenzie Rd., for a second Presbyterian Church.  By August 1844, a frame building 30’ by 36’ was erected.  It was called St. Paul’s, Vaughan.  St. Paul’s is still an active church and we share our Good Friday services together.
  • Did you ever wonder about the name of MacNaughton Road?  From our record books: “in 1832, Rev. P. MacNaughton, who had come to Canada under the Glasgow Colonial Society, was inducted as minister.  He remained until 1844 when he resigned the charge, returned to Scotland, and became minister of the parish of Dores.  In September 1847, he was re-translated to Vaughan and in December 1848 left to accept a charge in Pickering.”  Now you know!
  • A record of Baptism dated 1833 has the following 5 names: Christina Cameron, William Malloy, Gilbert McCorvey, Archibald MacDonald, and Hugh McLean
  • According to the only sketch we have, the first church building was a one story framed building with a pitched roof.  Five long windows on each side and the front door at the south end.  We judge the church to be about 20 by 60 feet.  The pews and all the trim within the church were made of pine.  It was ready for occupancy in 1832.
  • Rev. Peter MacNaughton was the first minister inducted to this church in 1833 at a salary of 10 pounds per annum.  The Scots were happy to hear him preach in Gaelic.  Rev. MacNaughton remained as minister until 1844.
  • One of the first names mentioned in the history of our church is that of Neil Malloy.  We are honoured to have a beautiful stained glass window in our Sanctuary which was given by the Malloy family in his honour in 1991.
Ċ
Shawn Smith,
Apr 30, 2011, 8:50 PM
Comments