The Stafford Historical Society, Inc.
Stafford Springs, CT 06076
The Stafford Historical Society was founded in 1962 by a group of local citizens who were interested in preserving Stafford's history. The following year the Society became incorporated as a non-stock corporation and since then have qualified for non-profit 501(c)3 status.
Since it's founding, the mission of the Society has been to
collect, preserve and exhibit all materials relating to the history
of the Town of Stafford for the education and enjoyment of present
and future generations. A diverse collection of historical artifacts
from Stafford are on display at the Museum. The Society also maintains
a library with research facilities on local topics. Lecture, slide, and/or PowerPoint presentations on various topics of historical interest are
frequently provided for local organizations. Frequently these presentations include authentic historical artifacts displayed from the presenter's private collection.
The Stafford Historical Society is an active organization. In 1982 the Society produced a one-hour, narrated video, "Old Postcards and Photos of Stafford", showing over 300 local scenes. This video received an Award of merit from the Connecticut League of Historical Societies for its "outstanding contribution to the development of interest in local history." It is now available in both VHS and DVD format.
In 1987, the Society was primarily responsible for the identification and establishment of The Stafford Hollow Historic District, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The historic building which serves as our Museum, located at
5 Spring Street, Stafford Springs, was recently listed on the
Connecticut Register of Historic Places, as was the adjacent Stafford
Springs Mineral Spring. This building previously served as the town Library, and prior to that served as the probate judge's office, offices of the Converse Woolen Co, and as the bottling house of the Stafford Mineral Waters Co. dating back to its construction in 1885.