- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 orange, juice and zest
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 5 tablespoons Merlot
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups fresh or frozen and thawed cranberries
- If you are using fresh cranberries, give them a wash and pick them over to discard rotting ones
- Finely grate the zest from the orange and squeeze the juice.
- Add all liquids into a non reactive sauce pan, stir in the cranberries, apple and orange zest.
- Cook, uncovered,
until the fruit is soft and the juice has thickened slightly.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients
- Continue stirring reduce by a 3rd.
- Place on smoker when film or skin appears on top stir into the sauce, reduce until its a thick consistency.