Yield: about 2 1/2 cups frosting
1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
1/4 cup whole milk
Pinch of salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 - 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, cubed butter, milk and pinch of salt.
- Place over medium heat and bring to a bubble.
- Let mixture boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Let mixture cool in the refrigerator until barely warm.
- Place caramel in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
- Whisk caramel for 1 minute at high speed.
- Add confectioners' sugar and beat on low speed until just combined, then beat at high speed for an additional 1-2 minutes.
This mixture will fill 20 sandwich cookies, or frost 15-18 cupcakes.