2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
¼ teaspoon allspice
1/2 cup molasses (not blackstrap)
1/2 cup strongly brewed coffee
1 ¼ cups unsalted butter, softened
1 ¼ cups light brown sugar, packed
3 large eggs plus, room temperature
2 large egg yolks, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 10 cup Bundt pan with vegetable shortening and flour. Tap out excess flour and set pan aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice.
- In a small bowl, combine the molasses with the brewed coffee.
- Cream the butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add the brown sugar and beat until lightened, about 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs and yolks, adding one at a time and scraping down the bowl intermittently. Add the flour and coffee mixture alternately, beginning and ending with the flour. Mix until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth top with a rubber spatula. Gently drop the pan onto a work surface two times to remove any air pockets. Bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cake cool in the Bundt pan for 10 minutes. Turn cake out onto a wire rack and allow to cool until just barely warm.
For the coffee glaze:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1-1/2-2 tablespoons strongly brewed coffee, or 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules diluted in a small amount of hot water
- Combine the confectioners' sugar and coffee in a small bowl. Whisk until smooth. Pour glaze over cake. Drizzle the cake with the glaze and then let cool to room temperature before serving.