Yield: One 9-inch double layer cake
Cake portion adapted from Taste of Home Magazine
½ cup unsalted butter, melted
1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour two 8 or 9-inch round cake pans, set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk well to combine. Gradually add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with the eggnog. Begin and end with the flour mixture.
- Pour batter into the two round baking pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the pans, and then turn cakes out onto wire racks to cool completely.
Pink Marshmallow Frosting (7 minute frosting):
2 egg whites
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
Pink gel food coloring
- Place all ingredients in a stainless bowl and set over a simmering (not boiling!) pan of water. Beat mixture with a handheld electric mixer until thick and fluffy. This should take about 7 minutes. Remove bowl from pan of water and continue to beat frosting until slightly cooled. Add one or two drops pink gel food coloring. Mix well. Frost cooled cakes immediately.
Note: If left uncovered, this frosting will become very gummy. Keep under a cake cloche or in a plastic air-tight cake carrier.