¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons sweetened flaked coconut
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Combine all streusel ingredients in a bowl. Blend using fingers to well incorporate.
- Set aside while you prepare the remaining components.
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons instant coffee such as Starbucks VIA (or sub. 1 ½ tbsp. espresso powder)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In another bowl, combine milk and coffee granules until coffee is dissolved. Add the butter and egg . Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups half full. Set aside and prepare cream cheese filling.
Cream cheese filling:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
¼ cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
- In a medium bowl beat cream cheese, ¼ cup sugar and egg on high speed with an electric mixer until fluffy and smooth. Add in vanilla; mix well. Transfer mixture to a piping bag fitted with a plain tip or a zip-top bag with the corner snipped.
- Insert piping bag or corner into the cappuccino batter and pipe until the batter rises and fills the muffin cups two-thirds full. Alternatively, you may also spoon cream cheese mixture over cappuccino batter and swirl with a knife or skewer.
- Generously top with coconut streusel.
- Bake at 375° for 13-15 minutes, or until coconut is well toasted. Cover muffins with a piece of aluminum foil to prevent the coconut from over-browning and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes. Muffins are done when a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.