In cooperation with the Maryland DNR, IWLA Sportsman's Chapter will be offering the Hunter Education course (dates to be posted soon)
The internet course Exam/Field Day will be the only course option offered this year. Internet course Exam/Field day will start at 12. Registration is required as seating is limited.
Participants who successfully complete the course will receive a "Certificate of Competency in Firearms and Hunter Safety", which is required to hunt or purchase a hunting license in Maryland. The course is limited to participants age 16 and older.
You may register for courses on the Maryland DNR Hunter Education website.
IWLA SPORSTMAN’S CHAPTER HUNTING RULES
1. In order to be eligible to hunt the Sportsman’s Chapter property, a member in good standing must have attended one monthly membership meeting and have completed 6 hours of documented service activities prior to September 1 of the current year. This time can be completed in any or all of the following ways:
A member working towards eligibility shall be responsible for logging time and maintaining their page in the “Service” book in the Chapter house. Any service time completed or meetings attended after September 1st will count towards eligibility for the next year’s hunting season.
Members must attend a Hunting Committee meeting in August just prior to the start of the deer archery season. At this meeting rules for the hunting season will be discussed and IWLA hunting permission cards will be issued to eligible members. Permission cards must be carried on person while hunting.
It is encouraged that members new to hunting the property attend a Hunting Committee meeting in the spring to help mark property lines and discuss any hunting related issues.
2. No guest hunters permitted.
3. Must abide by all current Maryland DNR hunting regulations and remain on IWLA property when hunting.
4. Center fire/rim fire rifles or handguns are not permitted.
5. Sign in and out of your hunting area daily. Sign out anytime you leave the property. Display the red flag when hunting. The property is divided into three areas as defined on the map in the hunter sign-in box and on the website. Areas are chosen on a ”first-come, first-serve basis”. The only exceptions are the opening day of muzzleloader and firearm deer seasons. A lottery will be drawn during the October membership meeting to determine the 3 hunters and their area preference for opening day of muzzleloader season. A second lottery will be drawn during the November membership meeting for opening day of firearm season. This gives all qualified hunting members an equal opportunity to participate.
6. Document your harvest at the end of the day on the sign in sheet. The harvest record will be posted in the chapter house at the end of the season.
7. In regards to minor children of members hunting the property, only one firearm is allowed in each hunting area per family per day. (Example- son/daughter hunts, parent guides). During archery deer season up to 2 members may hunt one area if both agree. When waterfowl hunting over the pond in area 3, a hunting group of multiple members and shotguns is permitted.
8. Limit of 2 deer per membership (individual or family) of which only 1 can be a buck, per season.
9. Tree stands and ground blinds must be temporary and removed at the end of the day. No screw-in steps or spikes. Natural ground blinds are permitted to stay up for the season. A fall arrest system must be worn at all times when using a tree stand.
10. IWLA property is used and enjoyed by the membership with many different activities taking place throughout the year. Hunting is not permitted while the property is being rented or being used for IWLA scheduled activities. Hunting is a privilege that carries responsibility with it. Any violation of the rules or any hunter acting in an unsafe manner will result in immediate suspension of their hunting privilege by the hunting committee until further review by the Sportsman’s IWLA Board of Directors. All disciplinary actions made by the Board of Directors are final.
Approved by the Hunting Committee 8/28/2014
Revised and approved by General Membership 2/4/2015