In cooperation with the Maryland DNR, IWLA Sportsman's Chapter will be offering the Hunter Education course on the following dates:
2014 Schedule of Classes:
June 8, 14 and 15
August 10, 16 and 17
September 6 or 7 (Internet course Exam/Field Day)
The three day course includes lectures, hunter safety skills demonstration, range skills demonstrations (including live firing), and a final exam that will complete all requirements. The course runs from 12 noon to 5 p.m. each of the three days. Participants who successfully complete the course will receive a "Certificate of Competency in Firearms and Hunter Safety", which is required to hunt or purchase a hunting license in Maryland. This course is well suited for younger participants.
Internet course Exam/Field day starts at 12 noon.
Seating is limited for all courses. The course fee is $10 per person
Please contact Jerry Rutkowski for additional information or to register for a class.
Hunting Rules for Sportsman's Chapter Property (as of September 10, 2011)
General Rules for hunting on IWLA Sportsman’s Chapter property
1. To be eligible to hunt on the property, you must be a member in good standing and have volunteered at least 4 hours during the calendar year at a sanctioned IWLA Sportsman's Chapter work days or pre-approved event. This must be completed prior to when you want to hunt; preferably by September 1. Schedule work days have and will be posted in the newsletter and on the website calendar.
2. You must be pre-approved by the Dovedale Huntmaster to hunt on the property. He will maintain a list of who may hunt on the property each year. The Huntmaster's contact information, and these rules, will be posted on the website.
3. There may be no more than 3 hunters on the property at any one time, unless pre-approved by Huntmaster.
4. There will be no hunting on the property while the facilities are being rented.
5. Only shotguns, muzzleloaders, bows and crossbows may be used for hunting on the property. No .22s for squirrels unless pre-approved by Huntmaster..
6. Whenever anyone hunts the property, they must display the "Hunters on Property" flag to let others know that you are hunting on the property. In addition, you must sign in on the “hunt log” book found on the Hunt Board in the corner of the parking lot.
7. All hunters must abide by the rules of Fair Chase and practice safe and ethical behavior at all times and must be legally licensed.
Deer Hunting Rules
8. During deer season, the property will be divided into 3 areas as defined on the map in the chapter house. Each will have defined boundaries. You are limited to hunt only in the area you sign up for.
9. If you wish to hunt deer, you must notify the Huntmaster ahead of time and sign up for the day you wish to hunt. You may request to hunt in one of three regions not yet taken by someone. Adult members may sign up not earlier than 6pm, 3 days in advance, youth members and their non-hunting, adult companion may sign up not earlier than 6pm, 4 days in advance. You may sign up to deer hunt no more than one day at a time. (For example, if an adult would like to hunt on a Saturday morning, he may sign up after 6pm on the Wednesday before. Youth members may sign up after 6pm on Tuesday.)
**Anyone in violation of any of the above rules will loose their hunting privilege on Dovedale.
Lee Dennis, IWLA Sportsman’s Chapter Huntmaster 2011 – 2012
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or cell phone at: 443-752-1034