The Space Portal at the NASA Ames Research Center was organized to help accelerate the establishment of the new space economy by:
- Developing mutually beneficial partnerships among industry, universities, nonprofits and government.
- Serving as the catalyst between NASA and entrepreneurial space organizations to promote commercial space development.
- Organizing and executing pioneering developments and demonstrations that open new markets.
- Supporting space activities that benefit the public.
- Promoting increased demand for space.
- Acting as the “friendly front door”, the Space Portal will help make NASA space infrastructure available for commercial development.
The Space Portal brings together the three necessary pieces of a successful commercial enterprise for NASA or national benefit:
- Suppliers of space products and services;
- Customers for these products and services; and
- Investors to support the customers and the suppliers in the development of profitable endeavors.
The Space Portal promotes spin-offs, spin-ins, and joint development projects.
The Space Portal works to develop the customer base.
Because it is a crucial but underrepresented sector, the Space Portal maintains a special focus on developing the customer and investor base for commercial space. In addition, the Space Portal supports commercial suppliers by helping them leverage public assets for projects of mutual benefit in the public interest.
The Space Portal staff has been instrumental in the development of the science of Astrobiology, the Vision for Space Exploration, life support systems for the International Space Station, technologies for the Stardust Mission, management of the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence Project, and research and development projects that have flown on the Space Shuttle, Mir and the International Space Station.
- Facilitate use of government infrastructure and expertise for commercial projects.
- Provide a forum for development of mutually beneficial collaborations.
- Serve as a broker among government, investors, new customers and the commercial space industry.
- Facilitate economic development by identifying new targets of opportunity.
- Act as a catalyst for aligning goals and leveraging capabilities among member organizations to create new opportunities.
- Marshal resources and execute strategies for high-value commercial space enterprises.
- Identify opportunities and obstacles and develop approaches for success.