The 3rd CMR

The 3rd Canadian Mounted Rifles was organized in December 1914 under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel F. O. Sissons.

Authorization for its formation was published in General Order 36 of 15 March 1915.

The Regiment was mobilized at Edmonton and Medicine Hat and recruited in Alberta. Vegreville's "C" Squadron of the 19th Alberta Dragoons (commanded by Major Frank Fane) was transferred complete to 3 CMR as a sub-unit upon the latter's formation.

The 3 CMR left Montreal on 12 June 1915 aboard MEGANTIC and arrived in England 21 June 1915 with a strength of 28 officers and 598 other ranks.

It arrived in France on 22 September 1915 as part of the 1st Brigade, Canadian Mounted Rifles and was to serve at the front until being disbanded and absorbed by the 1st and 2nd Battallions, Canadian Mounted Rifles in January 1916.

The 3rd CMR was officially disbanded by Privy Council Order 3355 of 8 December 1917.

It was perpetuated by The Alberta Mounted Rifles, which amalgamated with the 19th Alberta Dragoons in 1936.