Club News

Here you will find match reports and other news from Sorrento FC. For regular news and updates, 'Like' us on Facebook.

Gulls Issue Bayswater With First Defeat

posted 15 Jun 2014, 22:11 by Ryan Platten

By Kerry Slater

BAYSWATER 0 v SORRENTO 1 (Todd Harnwell 4)

HT: 0-0

BAYSWATER (4-4-2): GK Devon Spence, 3 Adam Bachiller, 5 Andy Reale, 13 Trent Kay (c), 16 Jamie Coyne, 6 Todd Howarth, 2 Declan Hargreaves (20 Sam Mitchinson, 11 Adam Caceras (17 Sahr Musa 69), 23 Chris Saldaris, 12 Steve Burton, 21 David Heagney (9 Gustavo Giron Marulanda). Subs not used: RGK Joel Driscoll, 10 Damian Catalano. Cautions: Jamie Coyne 18. Send Off: Nil.

Sorrento (4-3-3): GK Curtis Aspden, 2 Danny Cain, 6 Daryl Patten, 13 Steve McDonald, 22 Ryan Pearson, 8 Brodie Martin, 7 James A Morgan (c), 10 Jason Mirco (15 Raz Geloo 70), 17 Reece Vittiglia, 11 Scott Bulloch, 9 Todd Harnwell, Subs not used: RGK James Morgan, 4 Shaun Kilkelly, 21 Michael McGinley. Cautions: Curtis Aspeden 60, James A Morgan 62. Send Off: Scott Bulloch 70.

Referee: Adam Fielding; AR1: Elliot Cirkovic; AR2: S Skinner


The Sorrento Gulls inflicted Bayswater’s first defeat this All Flags sponsored Football West league season on Saturday at Frank Drago Reserve. In 2013 the Gulls were the first team to defeat Bayswater who had a 17 match unbeaten run in all competitions. This year Bayswater were victors in all their 10 previous league matches. A Todd Harnwell goal in the 4th minutes was all the separated the teams at match end. Bayswater remains top of the league by a margin of 7 points. The Gulls’ challenge for victory was made even greater when they were reduced to 10 men in the 70th minute when Scott Bulloch was sent off for dissent.

18 degrees with no breeze in overcast conditions on a softish pitch at the Garrett Road venue. Gulls Captain James A Morgan called correctly the toss of the coin by referee Adam Fielding and asked Bayswater Captain, Trent Kay to defend the city (western) end goal.

Sorrento had controlled the majority of the first half after the momentum gained from their early goal. Perth Glory target, Reece Vittiglia cross from the Gulls left to where the in rushing Todd Harnwell powered his header past Devon Spence to the absolute delight of his team mates and sky blue supporters. At 8 minutes the Gulls should have been two goals in front. Harnwell crossed from the right to Scott Bulloch, but his diving header was narrowly wide of the right post.

Steve McDonald and Danny Cain were instrumental at the back for Sorrento in clearing their fair share of balls from the danger zone, but it was Daryl Platten and keeper Curtis Aspden who were the shining stars in denying Bayswater an equaliser. Even with a star-studded front line, consisting of Adrian Caceras, Steve Burton and David Heagney, Bayswater lacked their usual cohesiveness. When they did up the ante, innovate and break through, their attempts were met with equal brilliance by Aspden.

At 23 minutes Bayswater’s keeper Spence mis kicked his clearance straight to Harnwell, but the return attempted lob of the keeper skimmed the top of the cross bar. It took until the 26th minutes before the home team created a decent opportunity. Todd Howarth high cross from the left was meet by a Steve Burton header, but Gulls keeper Curtis Aspden turned around the foot of the left post. Six minutes later it was again Aspden who repelled by tipping over a Adam Caceras free kick from 20 metres. On 38 minutes Asped was again applauded as he turned away a David Heagney header following a chip in from the left by Steve Burton.

The start of the second half was tight with only a very few shots and crosses from distance, which both defences & keepers in control. At 72 minutes the Bayswater crowd were halfway on their feet as they followed a Jamie Coyne bullet goalwards, but Aspden reacted to turn the powerful effort away for a corner.

Sorrento held on tight with their solid defence as the second half brought a greater intensity from the hosts. There were few opportunities for Sorrento to advance and stretch their lead, despite attempts by Bulloch and Reece Vittiglia to break away through the midfield. Then at 70 minutes, Bulloch succumbed to a hamstring injury and as urged by the Referee to leave the pitch quickly, he reacted and was sent off for abuse of a match official. Thus the Gulls couldn’t carry out their intended substitution of Bulloch. Raz Geloo Had just previously replaced the tiring Jason Mirco for the Gulls and took up a right midfield position where he added fresh speed.

With the send-off of Bulloch the Gulls were left with only Harnwell up front for the remaining 20 minutes. Bayswater were unrelenting in their attack in the last fifteen minutes and seemed likely to find an equaliser with several corners and their entire team, even Keeper Devon Spence, on hand to assist in the box. On one such occasion, Todd Howarth’s delivery was met by Chris Saldaris, whose header hit the bar.

Substitute Gustavo Maralunda was awarded a free-kick with just five minutes remaining and his shot was saved by Aspden. With Bayswater out of time and chances, Sorrento held on to take the 3 points.

Gulls Co-coach Jamie Harnwell described the Gulls rollercoaster season. “We really stuck to our game plan today to try and stretch them and utilise our quick front men but we probably scored about 85 minutes too early,” he said.  “After that we were forced to defend and be disciplined and that’s what we did. Curtis was superb in goals and Steve McDonald cleared balls left, right and centre. They threw everything at us and we made it hard for them to create chances today. We’ve still got a lot of work to do but it’s a step in the right direction.”


RESERVES: BAYSWATER 1 (Matt Kerridge 69) v SORRENTO 1 (Jordan Burgess 80)

UNDER 18: BAYSWATER 2 (Simon Lopez 24, George Driscoll 83) v SORRENTO 1 (Brandon Oosthuizen 84p)


Armadale Hold Sorrento

posted 15 Jun 2014, 22:09 by Ryan Platten

By Kerry Slater

SORRENTO 1 (Reece Vittiglia 90p) v ARMADALE 1 (Dannie Richman 52)

HT: 0-0

Sorrento (4-4-2): GK Curtis Aspden, 22 Ryan Pearson (2 Danny Cain 75), 6 Daryl Platten, 4 Shaun Kilkelly, 13 Steve McDonald, 15 Raz Geloo (11 Scott Bulloch 45), 7 James A Morgan (c), 14 Chris Reid, 5 Adam Luca (21 Michael McGinley 65), 17 Reece Vittiglia, 18 Sean Canham. Subs not used: RGK Jesse Wagener. Cautions: Chris Reid 21, Shaun Kilkelly 54, Steve McDonald 69. Send Off: Nil.

ARMADALE (4-4-2): GK Matthew Gould, 11 Daniel Richman, 2 Jackson Bealey 5 Nathan Costello, 13 Sam Loveless, 12 Alec Solomons, 4 Billy Quinncroft (c), 14 Mitch Castrilli (8 Llewellyn Blake 69), 6 Jason Barrera, 7 Faustinho Machochi (17 Alex Clarke 85), 9 Raveshlan Kuppusamy (16 Mwansa Musonda 79). Subs not used: RGK Darren Haywood, 18 Dennis Gaye. Cautions: Matthew Gould 90. Send Off: Nil.


Referee: Matt Southern; AR1: Colin Duncan; AR2: Alex Best.


The Sorrento Gulls, second in the league, found it extremely frustrating that they couldn’t get the ball in the net at home to Armadale who were second last in the All Flags sponsored Football West season match at Percy Doyle Reserve on Saturday. The Gulls did finally score from the penalty spot in the last minute of normal time to force a 1-1 draw.

A very strong wind from the south and with 18 degrees on an overcast day with patchy sunshine it was not a good environment for supporters at “Windy Hill”. The footballers may have enjoyed battling the elements.  Armadale Captain, and former Gulls player Billy Quinncroft called incorrectly the toss of the coin by Referee, Adam Fielding and Gulls Captain, James A Morgan choose to attack with the wind to the Warwick Road (northern) end goal. The home team had Todd Harnwell (illness), Brodie Martin (concussion) and Jason Mirco (soreness) unavailable.

The Gulls should have opened the scoring in the 13th minute when Vittiglia raced down the right and crossed low into the unmarked Ryan Pearson, but he blasted well over when straight in front. Five minutes later a Vittiglia corner from the Gulls right was meet by Daryl Platten, but his header was hacked off the goal line. At 26 minutes again it was the Vittiglia with a deep cross from the left meet by Platten, but his shot was across the face of goal and wide of the left post.


The team in black & red had their first chance at 27 minutes when Sam Loveless fired a low cross from the right and Raveshlan Kuppusamy could make up the ground to get to it. The home team had the better of the closing period of the first half. Sean Canham saw his shot held by keeper Matthew Gould. Then James Morgan fired over to much frustration for the team in sky blue.


Three minutes into the second half and the frustration continued with Canham heading over.

Then Armadale opened the scoring in the 52nd minute when Dannie Richman poked the ball in at the back post under heavy pressure to meet a cross from the left at the back post. The away side had the chance to go 2-0 three minutes later but Rav Kuppusamy missed from the penalty spot; Curtis Aspden saving the tame effort on goal.  A further two minutes later Gulls substitute Scott Bulloch should have put his team level as he raced clear but his attempted lob was turned away by Gould with his left hand. Within a minute a diving Canham header looked to have got the home team back in the match, but an offside flag ruled out the goal. Many thought the ball had been cut backwards to Canham, so scrutiny of the video during the week.

The Gulls were applying the pressure. Patten’s shot was straight to Gould who held. On 67 minutes a Chris Reid free kick from the left created confusion in the Armadale penalty area where Canham’s header came back off the bar and Vittiglia’s follow up was off Gould and Platten’s third attempt was also off the keeper. Steve McDonald had a header saved in the 80th minute that looked like it had snuck past Gould, but the keeper managed to get a hand low and slightly behind him to stop the effort going in.

With minutes disappearing Canham’s run into the area was halted by Gould who took his back leg forcing referee Matt Southern to award the home side a penalty kick. The keeper only being cautioned instead of seeing the red card.

Armadale assistant coach Saul Contera said that if you give Sorrento a sniff they’re going to be a chance after conceding a 90th minute penalty in their 1-1 draw at Percy Doyle Reserve. “Making a mistake and giving away a penalty is a bit heartbreaking but the performance was there from the players,” he said. “We were the better team on the park today.”

Sorrento coach Jamie Harnwell said he was happy to get something out of the game after describing his side’s first half as a friendly game. “Conditions weren’t ideal, we had a few chances but couldn’t take them,” he said. “I wouldn’t say it would’ve been five-one or something because we could have conceded a few but five-four on a different day. “Armadale are always going to be a tough game, they’ve always been competitive and that’s been proven again today.”

The draw means Sorrento lose a bit of momentum in their chase of league leaders Bayswater and are now 10 points behind with Perth on the same total of 20.

Armadale remain second from bottom with four points but will be boosted by both performance and result after their game with Sorrento.

RESERVES: SORRENTO 2 (Jaydn Bruce 42, Jake Cherrie 61) v ARMADALE 4 (James Atkins 7, 71, 79, Jett Shaw 59)

UNDER 18: SORRENTO 0 v ARMADALE 2 (Sam Khankhalili 35p, Daryl Ong 52)

Sorrento’s next Football West match is away to Bayswater in the league on Saturday, 31 May at Frank Dargo Reserve, Garrett Road, Bayswater. Kick off times are 18s at 11am, 20s at 1pm and First Team at 3pm.

Club and fixture details from Kerry Slater on 9448 5908

Canham Hat-trick Denies Floreat

posted 19 May 2014, 17:45 by Ryan Platten

By Kerry Slater

SORRENTO 3 (Sean Canham 35, 37, 63) v FLOREAT 2 (Jamie Eames 68, John Thornley 70)

HT: 2-0

Sorrento (4-4-2): GK Curtis Aspden, 22 Ryan Pearson, 4 Shaun Kilkelly, 13 Steve McDonald, 15 Raz Geloo, 14 Chris Reid, 8 Brodie Martin (5 Adam Luca 7), 10 Jason Mirco (6 Daryl Platten 72), 17 Reece Vittilgia, 9 Todd Harnwell (c), 18 Sean Canham (11 Scott Bulloch 64). Subs not used: RGK James Morgan, 21 Michael McGinley. Cautions: 14 Chris Reid 25, 5 Adam Luca 42. Send Off: Nil.

Floreat (4-4-2): GK Tom Dixon, 33 Mark Walsh, 12 Cameron Yorke, 4 Gary Hill (3 Jack Allen 46), 8 Ryan Pretorius, 14 Ludo Boi, 17 Callum Fransz (c), 10 Aryn Williams, 16 Ashley Cocker (18 Shane Nunes 46), 19 John Thornley, 9 Jamie Eames. Subs not used: RGK Michael Woolcott, 2 Blair Govan, 13 Andrew Scaldaferro. Cautions: 10 Ayrn Williams 23, 16 Ashley Cocker 36, 8 Ryan Pertorius 88. Send Off: Nil.


Referee: Steven Gregory; AR1: Pedro Vasquez; AR2: Rory Jackson.


Striker Sean Canham of the Sorrento Gull scored a well-deserved hat trick to ensure a 3-2 victory over visitors Floreat in Round 9 of the All Flags sponsored Football West season at Percy Doyle Reserve on Saturday. The Gull’s victory see them move to second behind run away leaders, Bayswater who they play away in two weeks. Canham, a signing by the Gulls from Hume City in the Victorian League, returned from a two match suspension to show his class as he goes onto an 8 goal tally.

A sunny 24 degrees at “Windy Hill” with no breeze making it good for footballers and great for supporters. Floreat Captain, Callum Fransz called correctly the toss of the coin by Referee, Steven Gregory and asked Gulls Captain, Todd Harnwell to attack the hill (southern) end goal. The Gulls were missing Captain, James A Morgan due to suspension whilst Floreat were without Bobby Wilson.

Sean Canham’s hat-trick helped Sorrento hold off a late surge from Floreat Athena in a nail-biting 3-2 win at Percy Doyle Reserve. Despite being 3-0 down, Jamie Eames and new signing John Thornley scored in quick succession for Floreat but couldn’t score another to grab a point against the Gulls.

The match was only 7 minutes old when Gulls midfielder Brodie Martin had to be substituted due injury with Adam Luce getting an early start. Four minutes later the home team somehow did not concede during a frenetic goal mouth scramble.

On 23 minutes the team in sky blue when close as Todd Harnwell’s header came off the cross bar and the ensuing scramble ended when Floreat were able to hack the ball away. The home team’s next opportunity came at 28 minutes when the free flowing Jason Mirco had the pluck to try and dipping volley but the ball was just over.

At 35 minutes Reece Vittiglia cross from the right was meet by Canham who held off his marker, Mark Walsh to head across goal and in at bottom right.

Two minutes later Jason Mirco shrugged off a foul down the right wing and referee Gregory allow play to continue where Mirco delivered a brilliant ball from the right to the back post which Canham again headed in superbly past Tom Dixon. He almost got his third in as many minutes when he pestered the Floreat defence into giving him a free shot on goal, but goalkeeper Tom Dixon reacted quickly. A minute into stoppage time Ryan Pearson worked space for himself and fired a low left footed effort that Dixon turned away from the foot of the left post.

Canham finally got his well-earned hat-trick in the 62nd minute when he was conveniently positioned to bounce deflection off Dixon into the goal with his shin after Todd Harnwell’s shot wasn’t held.

Sorrento was controversially denied a fourth when Mirco’s powerful strike from outside the box seemed to bounce over the line off the crossbar, but the officials thought otherwise.

The third goal put Floreat into a nothing to lose mentality, and with a change of formation and a double substitution they began their attempted comeback. Canham was replaced by Scott Bulloch due to a hamstring strain.

Jamie Eames scored in the 68th minute after the hard working Aryn Williams and Ludovic Boi linked up to gift him a one-on-one with keeper Curtis Aspden. Athena’s pressure forced Sorrento into a defensive error two minutes later and Thornley fired in another. They immediately fought hard to capitalise on their momentum but Eames’ shot was directed straight into the gut of Aspden and Sorrento rode out the pressure to the final whistle.

Sorrento co-coach Jamie Harnwell said he couldn’t have asked for any more effort and commitment from his side. “I thought we were in control for the majority of the game up until some sloppy defending,” he said. “We just managed to hold off in the end. Floreat did well; they put us under pressure and took their chances.”

Floreat coach Peter Murphy was chuffed with the second-half performance but thought they should have dealt better with Canham. “I feel disappointed with the two goals in the first half,” he said. “The big guy (Canham) did really well with the two headers but we should be able to defend against that.”

RESERVES: SORRENTO 2 (Jadyn Bruce 63, Matt Cherrie 85) v FLOREAT 1 (Andrew Scaldaferro 59)

UNDER 18: SORRENTO 5 (Own Goal 19, Matt Higgins45, Jamie Sandell 56, Ben Cross 68, Lovro Jelenovic 77) v FLOREAT 2 (Stef Cujanovic 8, Sam Guthridge 87)

Sorrento’s next Football West match is away to Bayswater in the league on Saturday, 1st June at Frank Drago Reserve, Garrett Road, Bayswater. Kick off times are 18s at 11am, Res at 1pm and First Team at 3pm.


Then on Monday, 3rd June Sorrento FC is away to Floreat in the Cup at Britannia Road, Mt Hawthorn. Kick off times are 18s at 10am, Res at 12.15pm and First Team at 2.30pm.

Club and fixture details from Kerry Slater on 9448 5908

Sorrento Take the Glory

posted 4 May 2014, 22:31 by Ryan Platten

Report by Kerry Slater

PERTH GLORY 2 (Jamie MacLaren 11pen, Riley Woodcock 23) v SORRENTO 3 (Todd Harnwell 48, Reece Vittiglia 58, 64)

HT: 2-0

PERTH GLORY (4-4-2): GK Jack Duncan, 2 Matt Davies, 3 Rocco Pizzato (15 Scott Robertson 34), 4 Brandon O’Neil, 5 Riley Woodcock (9 Joe Knowles 59), 6 Blamo Qua Qua (c), 14 Danny De Silva (11 Jacob Collard 59), 8 Cameron Edwards, 7 Bor Bor Sambindi, 10 Jamie MacLaren, 17 Harry O’Brien. Subs not used:  18 Josh Tucker, 20 Fraser Greenwood. Cautions: Nil . Send Off: Nil.

Sorrento (4-4-2): GK James Morgan, 22 Ryan Pearson (2 Danny Cain 86), 13 Steve McDonald, 4 Shaun Kilkelly, 14 Raz Geloo, 14 Chris Reid (5 Adam Luca 79), 7 James A Morgan (c), 10 Jason Mirco (6 Daryl Platten 73), 8 Brodie Martin, 9 Todd Harnwell, 17 Reece Vittiglia. Subs not used: 20 Jesse Fuller, 21 Michael McGinley. Cautions: James A Morgan 24, 65, Chris Reid 72. Send Off: James A Morgan 65

Referee: Josh Mannella; AR1: Alex Novatsis; AR2: Daniel Cole


The Sorrento Gulls fought back from a two goal first half deficit to take the lead and then hold out with 10 men after Captain James Morgan was sent off in the 8th round of National Premier League on Saturday. The Gulls showed tremendous determination to battle out the win over the star packed Glory team.

A half-time speech from Co-coach, Jamie Harnwell prompted a stirring Sorrento fight back as they turned a two-goal deficit into a 3-2 victory against a potent Perth Glory side at Intiga Stadium yesterday.

Trailing 2-0 at the break, Sorrento were given a rousing address from Harnwell and responded with three goals in 15 minutes. “We are a physical side and if we need to use that to win games, we will do it,” Harnwell said. “They had A-League players in their side and the boys were up for the challenge and it was superb.”

The fight back also came at a cost with captain James Morgan collecting a second yellow card in the 65th minute but Sorrento battled on to claim the win.

23 degrees with no breeze for the 3pm kick off at Inglewood United’s home ground, which is utilized by Perth Glory for their home matches. The pitch surface a little damp, but still good for player’s grip.

Gulls Captain, James A Morgan called correctly the toss of the coin by referee Josh Mannella and asked Perth Glory Captain, Blamo Qua Qua to attack the club house (Eastern) goal. The visitors were without Sean Canham (suspension) and Scott Bulloch (work).

Glory were given a penalty on 11 minutes when Blamo Qua Qua raced into the penalty area and seemed to make the most of the slight touch as Raz Geloo chased and caught up to the Glory Captain. Jamie Maclaren emphatically fired the penalty in at bottom left to give Glory the lead. At 20 minutes the Gulls Reece Vittiglia shot just wide of the right post after a clever one-two with Todd Harnwell. The margin was doubled at 23 minutes when Riley Woodcock’s questionable cross from the left lobbed goalkeeper James Morgan and went in under the bar at top right. “I was trying to give a ball to Jamie (Maclaren) but I shanked it,” Woodcock admitted after the game.

James Morgan picked up his first caution and the first for the match at 24 minutes for a mis-timed tackle. At 29 minutes a Gulls free kick from the right was swung in by Vittiglia to where Brodie Martin’s header was tipped over by Glory’s keeper Jack Duncan. The corner from the right by Vittiglia reached past the far post to Jason Mirco, but he headed over.

Sorrento’s fight-back started just three minutes into the second half when a swift counter attack resulted in Todd Harnwell expertly lobbing the exposed keeper Jack Duncan. Six minutes later Harnwell should have been awarded a penalty when he was unceremoniously clattered in the back as he protected the ball’s exit for a corner.

The Gulls’ barrage did not stop, but continued with ex-Glory player Reece Vittiglia scoring a brace in eight minutes. Harnwell’s shot from outside the area came back of keeper Duncan and Vittiglia was first to the ball and fired truly through the crowd at 58 minutes. At 64 minutes James Morgan’s long throw-in from the right was headed on by Steve McDonald to where Vittiglia adjusted well to volley inside the left post to give the team in sky blue the lead.

Within a minute the Gulls had to adjust their formation as Morgan received his second caution, again for a tackle. On 68 minutes MacLaren was clear and his shot beat the keeper Morgan, but struck the left post and rebounded into the arms of Morgan.

Glory substitutes Joe Knowles and Jacob Collard provided fresh legs, but the Sorrento defence, featuring a superb performance from young defender Razack Geloo, held firm including the six minutes of stoppage time added.



Sorrento’s next league Football West match is away to Stirling Lions in the Cup on Saturday, 10 May at Macedonian Park, Albert Street, Balcatta. Kick off times are 18s at 10am, 20s at 12.15pm and the First Team match of Stirling v Floreat at 3pm.


Sorrento Defeat in Harnwell's 400th

posted 28 Apr 2014, 17:51 by Ryan Platten

By Kerry Slater

SORRENTO 2 (Steve McDonald 20, Shaun Kilkelly 81) v COCKBURN 3 (Alan Carroll 13, Conor Kavanagh 37p, Ross Diamond 56)

HT: 1-2

Sorrento (4-4-2): GK Curtis Aspden, 2 Danny Cain (20 Jesse Fuller 85), 4 Shaun Kilkelly, 13 Steve McDonald, 6 Daryl Platten (c), 22 Ryan Pearson, 14 Chris Reid, 5 Adam Luca (8 Brodie Martin 64), 9 Todd Harnwell, 17 Reece Vittiglia, 21 Michael McGinley (10 Jason Mirco 64). Subs not used: RGK James Morgan. Cautions: Steve McDonald 30, Curtis Aspden 69, Daryl Platten 88. Send Off: Nil.

Cockburn (4-4-2): GK Dejan Aleksic, 5 Alan Carroll, 17 Paul Natale (c) (16 Julian Teles 90), 4 Euen Grant, 10 Ross Diamond, 9 Eamon McNelis, 3 Blake Adams, 14 Conor Kavagh, 11 Devon Gibson, 18 Liam Murray (19 Jonty Turner 74), 12 Feizel Zaw (7 Ryan Haslett 74). Subs not used: RGK. Eric Cutri, 8 David Araya. Cautions: Euan Grant 45, 77, Ross Diamond 66. Send Off: Euan Grant 77.

Referee: Steve Lucas; AR1: Tim Mihevc; AR2: Tom Doyle.


On a day that Todd Harnwell marked an incredible 400 first-team appearances with the Gulls, 10-made Cockburn City tore up the script and defeated Sorrento 3-2 at Percy Doyle Reserve on Saturday.

Overcast and 20 degrees with a breeze from the north at “Windy Hill” making it okay footballers, but not the best for supporters.

Cockburn Captain, Paul Natale called correctly the toss of the coin by Referee. Steve Lucas asked Gulls Captain, Daryl Platten to attack the Warwick Road (northern) end goal.

After Cockburn defender Euen Grant was sent off in the 77th minute, Cockburn weathered a furious Sorrento onslaught that culminated in a Harnwell volley being cleared off the line in the dying minutes of the match.

Cockburn in their white strip certainly started the stronger of the two sides with Feizel Zaw continuing his run of good form and created some early scares before teammate Alan Carrol converted the pressure into a goal with a glancing header off a fine Conor Kavanagh corner from the right on 13 minutes.

Towering Sorrento centre back Steve McDonald restored parity shortly after with a neat right footed low finish inside the right post from the top of the box after latching onto Harnwell’s cross from the right on 20 minutes to level the score.

The tempo of the game increased with plenty of half opportunities at either end before Kavanagh somehow managed to receive the ball behind the Sorrento back four and went down with Shaun Kilkelly chasing. Referee Steve Lucas awarding a penalty. Kavanagh duly stepped up and converted in the top-left corner.

The anticipation of celebrating a win along with Harnwell’s milestone appearance appeared to dwindle further when Devon Gibson through pass to Ross Diamond in a seemingly offside position finished with aplomb. With Sorrento making a double substitution later and making McDonald their target man, the home side began to threaten Cockburn custodian Dejan Aleksic with increasing regularity.

Once Grant received his marching orders it was one-way traffic and Shaun Kilkelly scored, pulling the deficit back to only one goal. A frenetic finish failed to deliver the equaliser as Cockburn valiantly held on to claim three precious away points.

Sorrento co-coach Jamie Harnwell was disappointed his side didn’t start well at all. On his brother’s landmark achievement, Jamie said “it’s fantastic for the club, he’s always been a hard-working, honest professional and a pleasure to work with, it’s a shame we’re not celebrating a win with him today.”

Cockburn coach Marc Anthony was delighted in his side’s steely resolve to withstand immense pressure with only 10 men against a difficult Sorrento side.

On the man of the moment, Anthony said: “400 games is a hell of an achievement, it’s terrific for Sorrento and Todd who is a top lad and a top player.”

RESERVES: SORRENTO 1 (Jake Cherrie 89) v COCKBURN 2 (Monty Grigo 20, 30)

UNDER 18: SORRENTO 3 (Zac Edwards 51, Connor Holmes 80, Joel Keen 85) v COCKBURN 7 (Dylan Catalano 2, 25, 81, Daniel Robinson 6, Alex Bridges 43, Andy Clay, 43, Ella Mastrantonio 85)

Sorrento’s next Football West match is away to Perth Glory in the league on Saturday, 4 May at Hamer Parade, Inglewood. Kick off times are 18s at 11am, Res at 1pm and First Team at 3pm.

Club and fixture details from Kerry Slater on 9448 5908

Floreat Beat 10-Man Gulls

posted 28 Apr 2014, 17:50 by Ryan Platten

By Kerry Slater

MONDAY, 21 April 2014.

FLOREAT 5 (Ashley Corker 51, 72, Mark Walsh 77, 90+1, Yves Mwilia 87) v SORRENTO 0

HT: 0-0

Floreat: GK Tom Dixon, 2 Blair Govan, 3 Jack Allen, 8 Bobby Wilson (13 Yves Mwila 27), 33 Mark Walsh, 9 Jamie Eames, 10 Aryn Williams, 12 Cameron Yorke, 14 Ludovic Boi, 16 Ashley Corker, 17 Callam Fransz. Subs not used: RGK Michael Woolcott, 11 Zdenek Bezdek, 19 Kye Douglas, 20 Josh Pugh.. Cautions: Nil. Send Off: Nil.

Sorrento: GK Curtis Aspden, 2 Danny Cain, 6 Daryl Patten, 14 Chris Reid (13 Steve McDonald 64), 22 Ryan Pearson, 8 Brodie Martin, 5 Adam Luca, 17 Reece Vittiglia (11 Scott Bulloch 73), 18 Sean Canham, 20 Jesse Fuller (Jason Mirco 73), 21 Michael McGinley. Subs not used: RGK James Morgan, 4 Shaun Kilkelly. Cautions: Danny Cain 25. Send Off: Sean Canham 34.

Referee: Steven Gregory; AR1: Stephen Knight; AR2: Marcus Watts


Floreat Athena crushed a 10-man Sorrento 5-0 in the second round of the Cool Ridge Cup at E&D Litis Stadium on Monday.

Ashley Corker bagged a brace and substitute Yves Mwilia grabbed a goal in between two long-range screamers from Mark Walsh.

A 35th minute red card for Sorrento’s top goal scorer Sean Canham proved to be the catalyst in their downfall. 

Sorrento co-coach Jamie Harnwell said the decision changed the game, as they were very comfortable up until that point. While he said it left them exposed, he thought they could have coped better towards the end. “It’s a cup game, if we get knocked out we get knocked out, so we wanted to go out and have a bit of a crack, but I was pretty disappointed with the boys in the last 15 minutes or so.”

New Floreat coach Peter Murphy thought his team failed to take advantage of the extra man until later in the game. “But all credit to [Sorrento], they tried to go forward, they tried to do whatever they could do to get back into the game.”

Sorrento’s frustration at not being able to penetrate the back four showed when Canham was sent off after allegedly lashing out at Floreat player whilst chasing an optimistic through-ball. A very contentious interpurtation.

The only clear-cut chance of the first half came immediately after when striker Jamie Eames made use of a stray ball, only to hit the post after skipping past goalkeeper Curtis Aspden. 

The opening goal came six minutes after the restart, Corker converting a cross from Jack Allen who managed to work his way behind the defence on the right hand side. His next goal came in the 72nd minute when Mwilia delivered a neat chip across goal for him to head in from point blank range.

At 2-0 down Sorrento were still showing signs of resilience with substitute Scott Bulloch fighting hard for a loose ball and firing it inches above the crossbar.

But going forward ultimately opened them up to further attacks and Floreat seemed to become more clinical in finishing as the game wore on.

Athena’s persistence in long-range shooting eventually paid off in the 77th minute when Walsh smashed one into the bottom right corner from 25 yards out, catching Aspden offguard.

Their fourth goal was salt in the wounds when a drained Sorrento team gifted Eames time to hold a ball up outside the box, waiting for Mwilia to sprint in unmarked and volley his well-placed cross.  Walsh got his second with a perfectly composed first-time shot, this time into the opposite corner.

Murphy’s second game in charge for Athena ended exactly as his first, coming away with five goals and a clean sheet. The ex-Armadale coach hopes he can bring some structure and organization to the squad. “Obviously the plan for the future is to educate them, basically to be as good as they can be and to play things they are capable of playing,” he said. “You want total cohesion, so everybody understands what role each player plays.”

RESERVES: GOSNELLS 1 (Tony Ton 81) v SORRENTO 5 (Ben Fairbairns 12, Mike Kelly 55, Liam Peacock 62, Ryan Burgess 86, Tom Bramley 87)

UNDER 18: GOSNELLS 1 (M Hamdon 86) v SORRENTO 3 (Lovro Jelenovic 30, Zac Edwards 36, 78)

Sorrento’s next Football West match is at home to Cockburn City in the league on Saturday, 26 April at Percy Doyle Reserve, Warwick Road, Duncraig. Kick off times are 18s at 11am, Res at 1pm and First Team at 3pm.

Club and fixture details from Kerry Slater on 9448 5908

Gulls Swoop on Subiaco

posted 28 Apr 2014, 17:49 by Ryan Platten

By Kerry Slater

SUBIACO 2 (Jordan Rhodes 72, Nathan Diaz 90+3) v SORRENTO 4 (Todd Harnwell 32, Reece Vittiglia 50, 61, Sean Canham 89)

HT: 0-1

SUBIACO United (4-4-2): GK Sam Stone, 2 Nathan Diaz, 15 Laurence Graughan, 12 Mitch Steinbery, 3 Rowdy Yates, 6 Brad McDonald, 4 Alex Randall, 10 Fuy McDonald, 11 Matt Akehurst, 8 Jordan Rhodes, 7 Ger Fitzgerald Subs not used: 5 George Tchami, 17 Nathan Steel, 21 Henry Davier. Cautions: Nathan Diaz 44 . Send Off: Nil.

Sorrento (4-4-2): GK Curtis Aspden, 2 Danny Cain (6 Daryl Patten 55), 13 Steve McDonald, 4 Shaun Kilkelly, 14 Chris Reid, 7 James A Morgan (c) (8 Brodie Martin 69), 9 Todd Harnwell (21 Michael McGinley 66), 17 Reece Vittiglia, 18 Sean Canham. Subs not used: RGK James Morgan, 5 Adam Luca. Cautions: Todd Harnwell 45, Scott Bulloch 58, James A Morgan 68, Sean Canham 76. Send Off: Nil

Referee: Adam Fielding; AR1: Elliott Cirkovic; AR2:


The Sorrento Gulls first ever visit to the WA State Athletic Stadium to face opponents Subiaco ended with a 4-2 win in the 6th round of National Premier League on Saturday. The Gull’s took some time to adjust to the venue and to the extra athletic white markings on the pitch, but once in front never look like being caught. The win takes them to clear second in the League.

26 degrees with a stiff breeze straight down the ground west to east for the 3pm kick off. A minute’s silence was observed by all before the match in memory of Dylan Tombides who passed away during the week. Dylan was a tremendous junior player in WA and was signed by West Ham United. He also played for the Australian National team.

Gulls Captain, James A Morgan called incorrectly the toss of the coin by referee Adam Fielding and Subiaco Captain, Guy McDonald, a former Sorrento player choose to attack the City (eastern) end goal.

Sorrento co-coach Jamie Harnwell said the confidence of scoring the first few goals helped his side control the game in a 4-2 win against Subiaco at the WA Athletics Stadium. “Suddenly you start wanting the ball more and you want to play, so that helped,” he said. “We pushed an extra player up front and they had to come and press us which gave us more room to play once we broke the press.”

Sorrento opened the scoring in the 32nd minute through Todd Harnwell who read a clever cross by Sean Canham to flick a header past Sam Stone and into the back post.

Subiaco came out and pressed right from the restart which opened the game up for the away side who had their second five minutes into the second half.

Reece Vittiglia scored his first of a brace after picking up a loose ball in the penalty area and slotting past Stone with a clinical finish.

Vittiglia scored again 11 minutes later in the 61st minute when a long throw was flicked on by Steve McDonald to Todd Harnwell who showed good strength to hold the ball up with his back to goal, then laying the ball off for the right winger to convert.

Subiaco pulled one back in the 72nd minute through Jordan Rhodes who received a clever backheel pull back from Guy McDonald and slotted past Curtis Aspden calmly.

Sorrento restored their three goal lead through Canham who hung up at the back post to nod home a pinpoint Vittiglia cross in the 90th minute.

With possibly the most impressive goal of the game left until last, Nathan Diaz beat a couple of defenders and curled the ball into the top corner from 20 yards out, but unfortunately it was too little, too late for Subiaco.

Ian McMurray said his young teammates will learn from games like this and will motivate them to improve.

“Every game we are getting stronger and gaining confidence,” he said.

“We created enough chances to still be in the game going into half time. We need to keep learning and keep progressing as we are.”

The result keeps Sorrento five points behind NPL WA leaders Bayswater and Subiaco remain on the bottom of the table.

RESERVES: SUBIACO 0 v SORRENTO 1 (Ben Fairbairns 26)

UNDER 18: SUBIACO 5 (Max Auburn 25, Brynn Labey 26, 71, Owen Coates 74, 89) v SORRENTO 1 (Lovro Jelenovic 45)

Sorrento’s next league Football West match is at home to Cockburn on Saturday, 26 April at Percy Doyle Reserve, Warwick Road, Duncraig. Kick off times are 18s at 11am, 20s at 1pm and First Team at 3pm.

Gulls Cruise Past Swans

posted 9 Apr 2014, 04:37 by Ryan Platten   [ updated 9 Apr 2014, 04:38 ]

By Kerry Slater

SWAN UTD 0 v SORRENTO 6 (Michael McGinley 5, 29, 92, Todd Harnwell 8, 12, Scott Bulloch 28)

HT: 0 - 5

SWAN UTD: GK Connor Anderson, 2 Reegan Borzecki, 3 Owen Curtis, 4 Kevin Baker, 5 Anthony Papalia, 6 Ian McLean, 7 Chol Lual, 8 Fraser Burt, 9 Danny Chapman, 10 Jimmy McPhail, 11 Andy O’Neill. Subs: 12 Omer Ahmed, 13 Cameron Anderson, 14 Chris Marshall, 15 Liam Hurley, 16 Adam Gabremasrel. Cautions: Nil. Send Off: Nil.

Sorrento: GK Curtis Aspden, 6 Daryl Patten, 13 Steve McDonald, 4 Shaun Kilkelly, 2 Danny Cain, 8 Brodie Martin, 7 James A Morgan (c), 11 Scott Bulloch, 21 Michael McGinley, 9 Todd Harnwell, 17 Reece Vittiglia. Subs: RGK James Morgan, 3 Alex Brain, 5 Adam Luca, 20 Jesse Fuller, 22 Ryan Pearson. Cautions: Nil. Send Off: Nil.

Referee: Matt Southern; AR1: Gary Frost; AR2: Stephen Walters.


The Sorrento Gulls overcame what looked like a difficult road trip to Swan United in the Swan Valley for the first round of Football West’s Coolridge sponsored Cup. The seasiders comfortably winning 6 – 0 to progress to the second round where they travel away to Floreat on Easter Monday, 28th April.

Warm and sunny at 27 degrees was prefect for the spectators and the result was prefect for the Gulls supporters.

RESERVES: SWAN UTD 1 (86) v SORRENTO 6 (Michael Kelly 43, Ryan Pearson 58, 90, Jason Mirco 63, Jake Cherrie 75, 80)

UNDER 18: SWAN UTD 0 v SORRENTO 4 (Lovro Jelenovic 17, Jamie Sandell 21, Connor Holmes 45, Zack Edwards 79)

Sorrento’s next Football West match is home to Stirling Lions in the league on Friday, 11th April at Percy Doyle Reserve, Warwick road, Duncraig. Kick off times are Res at 6pm and First Team at 6pm. 18s play on Sunday, 13th April at 1pm.

Club and fixture details from Kerry Slater on 9448 5908

Sorrento Win in Rivalry Round

posted 31 Mar 2014, 00:00 by Ryan Platten

Report by Kerry Slater

ECU JOONDALUP 1 (Jon Stynes 11) v SORRENTO 1 (Reece Vittiglia 42, Brodie Martin 49, Todd Harnwell 89)

HT: 1 - 1

ECU JOONDALUP (4-4-2): GK Andy Banks, 2 Ryan Lowry, 3 Joh Higgins (c), 4 Charlie Comyn-Platt, 6 Jon Stynes (9 David Foster 70), 7 Dave Caine, 8 Joe Smith, 10 Andy Higgins, 11 Lee Jones, 14 Jake Benson-Cooper, 13 Tommy Amphlett (16 Genaveo Human 56). Subs not used: RGK Ramiro Lescano, 12 Gareth Crawley, 12 Jack Cairns. Cautions: Nil. Send Off: Nil.

Sorrento (4-3-3): GK Curtis Aspden, 6 Daryl Patten (5 Adam Luca 79), 13 Steve McDonald, 4 Shaun Kilkelly, 2 Danny Cain, 8 Brodie Martin, 7 James A Morgan (c), 14 Scott Bulloch (21 Michael McGinley 75), 9 Todd Harnwell, 17 Reece Vittiglia, 18 Sean Canham. Subs not used: RGK James Morgan, 15 Raz Geloo, 3 Alex Brain. Cautions: 7 James A Morgan 20. Send Off: Nil.

Referee: David Costello; AR1: Tom Dowell; AR2: Rory Jackson.


Football West’s National Premier League rivalry round had ECU Joondalup Jacks at home in northern derby to the Sorrento Gulls on Saturday. The Gulls with an impressive 2nd half performance overcame conceding an early goal to win 3-1. The Gulls suffered their first loss of the season last week at home to Perth and started this match as poorly as their display was last Saturday, but after the half time break the Gulls were a different team as thus they stayed in touch with league leaders Bayswater.

Overcast at 18 degrees with likelihood of showers that would have soften the bumpy pitch at the University Campus venue. A reasonable wind that changed direction during the match. Gulls Captain James A Morgan call incorrectly the toss of the coin by likable referee David Costello and ECU Joondalup captain, Jon Higgins choose to attack the lecture rooms (northern) end goal. The construction site right behind the northern goal captured many a match ball.

The visitors had the ball in the net on 3 minutes, but surprisingly it was judged by AR Tom Dowell to be an offside movement by Todd Harnwell. The ball came from a throw in on the right to Sean Canham who headed on to Scott Bulloch whose shot came back of keeper Andy Banks to Harnwell who tapped over only for the travelling supporter’s cheers to be cut short. Five minutes later a Reece Vittiglia shot skimmed the top of the crossbar giving the team in sky blue encouragement. However, on 11 minutes they were a goal down. From a Joh Higgins corner an unmarked Jon Stynes managed to loop his header into the left hand top corner for the Jacks. Their cause aided by a Jack’s team mate pushing Canham over as the ball came into the area.

Going a goal down early in the match and the Gulls usually dependable defence faltered and they struggled to contain their opponents for the majority of the first half. ECU Joondalup kept their shape and kept the pressure on with Lee Jones and Jake Benson-Cooper creating plenty of play, but unable to capitalize on their opportunities.

Andy Higgins was also eager in his persistent attack on the ball and advancing, often without much support, but he and Jones couldn’t break through the Gulls central defensive pair of Steve McDonald and Shaun Kilkelly. Sorrento seemed as if it would be a good result to only go to the break one goal down.

Then on 42 minutes Scott Bulloch was tripped a couple of metres outside the area. From the resultant free kick, Vittiglia curled the ball around the wall and inside the right post as keeper Andy Banks just couldn’t get across to it. 

Tensions boiled over in the 44th minute with a dubious tackle sparking a short-lived, but enthusiastic melee between the rivals.

It was all Sorrento in the second half as they asserted themselves in all areas of the pitch. The Gulls went in front with just less the 5minutes of the second half played. Canham headed down the right for the overlapping Daryl Platten who crossed for the inrushing Brodie Martin to head goalwards, but Banks reacted to block the effort only for the ball to fall to the feet of Martin who bundle the ball over the goal line.

On 57 minutes the team in black had a counter attack where Lee Jones set up Jake Benson-Cooper, but Gulls keeper Curtis Aspen reacted superbly to tip away with his left hand. 3 minutes later at the other end Harnwell’s volley smacked into the crossbar and Canham couldn’t control the rebound and the ball skied away.

The Gulls had the bulk of possession, but the Jack’s defence held. The final five minutes plus 2 minutes of stoppage time was played in a downpour as the heavens opened.

The last minute of the game sealed the deal for Sorrento as Harnwell controlled a Canham cross from the left and took on Banks at close range and chipped it over him and home.

Coach Jamie Harnwell admitted that the rivalry was certainly alive and well in the context of today’s match.  “ECU, as a club, are like our younger brothers,” he said. “The rivalry is certainly real, it’s always a big game every time we play them and form doesn’t always matter, so it was good to get the win. It’s a big three points for us today against ECU.” 


Sorrento Down Balcatta in Historic Match

posted 11 Mar 2014, 23:22 by Ryan Platten

Report by Kerry Slater 

SORRENTO 2 (Sean Canham 25, 75) v BALCATTA 1 (Adam Tong 45)

HT: 1-1 

Sorrento (3-5-2): GK Curtis Aspden, 2 Danny Cain, 3 Alex Brain, 4 Shaun Kilkelly, 6 Daryl Platten, 7 James A Morgan (c), 9 Todd Harnwell, 11 Scott Bulloch (20 Jesse Fuller 90+4), 17 Reece Vittiglia, 18 Sean Canham (13 Steve McDonald 87), 21 Michael McGinley (8 Brodie McGinley 61). Subs not used: RGK James Morgan, 25 Wes Padley. Cautions: Scott Bulloch 54, Todd Harnwell 62. Send Off: Nil 

Balcatta (4-4-2): GK Damien Stanoevski, 4 Kieron Stellard, 5 Adam Tong (c), 6 Luke Randazzo,, 9 Carlo Coelho (8 Ben Meredith 74), 10 Marc De Francesh, 12 Matt Brook, 13 Benny Kovadio, 14 Kieran Colewell, 16 Kris Gate, 18 Gustavo Catarcione. Subs not used: 7 Patrick Sara, 17 Alex Suleski, 19 Matt Izzo, 21 Clint Davies. Cautions: Kieron Stellard 69. Send Off: Kris Gate 67.

Referee: Steven Gregory; AR1: Mathew Cheeseman; AR2: Ammar Timmour.

Crowd: 400


The Sorrento Gull’s new signing Sean Canham was the highlight of the Gulls 2 – 1 win at home against Balcatta in their opening league match of the All Flags sponsored Football West National Premier League season at Percy Doyle Reserve on Sunday. Canham brace on debut just overshadowed keeper Curtis Aspden’s display at the other end of the Gull’s formation.

Very pleasant 27 degrees with a strong breeze from the south-west at “Windy Hill” making it comfortable for footballers and absolutely beautiful for supporters. The addition seating and new standing area popular with the supporters  …… and close to the bar. The wind too strong for the waving men, but the bouncing castle was hammered by the younger gulls.

Balcatta Captain, Adam Tong called incorrectly the toss of the coin by Referee. Steven Gregory and Gulls Captain, James A. Morgan chose to attack the Warwick Road (northern) end goal with assistance from the breeze. The Gulls team also included new signings of defender Alex Brain and Michael McGinley as Canham’s strike partner as well as new/old re-signings of Reece Vittigila, Scott Bulloch & Shaun Kilkelly. Ryan Pearson and Adam Luca unavailable due to injury. Sorrento’s best player of 2012 Jason Mirco who missed the entire 2013 season due injury had a strong performance over the 90 minutes of the Reserves match.

The Balcatta side only included one player from their 2013 squad; Adam Tong. These two teams had played out a 1-1 draw in their Night Series fixture three weeks earlier. 

Balcatta started the game more comfortable on the ball, causing problems early on and capitalising on some sloppy Sorrento possession to test their defence.

However, it was Sorrento who broke the deadlock with Canham sending a looping  header over keeper Damian Stanoevski from a Daryl Platten’s cross from the right on 25 minutes after some neat play down the right wing by the Gulls.

Sorrento’s goal was the kick that Balcatta needed. They immediately began to threaten with sustained pressure that yielded corner  following corner, but the home defence with Aspen in control held firm. That was until the final minute of the half. From another Balcatta corner from their left the ball was attempted to be played out, but possession was lost straight to Tong who struck a sweet thunder bolt strike high into the net from 22 metres. It was no more than Balcatta deserved.

After the break the play was even and positive from both teams. But the match turned when Balcatta midfielder Kris Gate was sent off for what was deemed to be a dangerous tackle on James A Morgan in the center of the field on 69 minutes. Six minutes later the team in sky blue capitalised on their numerical advantage, with Canham heading in at the far post to a cross from the left wing by Scott Bulloch.

Despite some further good end-to-end football in which both sides could have scored, the Gulls went on for the three points. 

Sean Canham earning praise from Gulls co-coach Jamie Harnwell. “He’s a danger in the box,” Harnwell said. “We’ve just got to make sure he gets good service and he did a couple of times today. I think there’s more to come from him and I’m looking forward to him having a good season.”

Balcatta coach Ramon Falzon was unhappy with the decision to send-off Gate.

“Unfortunately, it decided the game for us,” he said. “Until that point in the second half, I think we dominated and created chances, which unfortunately we didn’t take.”


UNDER 18: SORRENTO 2 (Matt Cherrie 5, Joel Keen 68) v BALCATTA 2 (Slade Rule 14, Yatin Pawar 48)

Sorrento’s next Football West match is away to Inglewood United in the league on Saturday, 15 March at Hamer Parade, Inglewood. Kick off times are 18s at 11am, 20s at 1pm and First Team at 3pm.

Club and fixture details from Kerry Slater on 9448 5908

1-10 of 144