1. What is an advisor and why do I need to see one?

    An advisor is an assigned professor who provides academic advice to students. Advisors work collaboratively with students to make course recommendations, explain policies, procedures and programme requirements. Students must be authorized by their advisors before they are able to register online. 

  2. [ top ]

  3. When should I see my advisor?

    Students must be advised before they can register for courses: hence, they need to be aware of their registration times as posted here. Furthermore, students should be aware that advisement for the summer and fall semesters actually occurs during the spring semester, as most advisors do not have to be on campus during the summer. 

  4. [ top ]

  5. Do I need an appointment to see an advisor?

    Some advisors see students on a walk-in basis, no appointment necessary.  However, most advisors will see students during their office hours.

  6. [ top ]

  7. Will an advisor help me choose which courses to take?

    Your advisor will offer guidance and make suggestions about course choices that will help you achieve your educational goals and fulfill your programme contract. However, it is ultimately your responsibility to ensure you are taking the appropriate courses that meet your educational goals and programme contract.

    If you plan to transfer to a college or university to pursue a Bachelors degree you should also be familiar with the admission requirements of your intended college as well as the specific admission and programme requirements of your intended major at that school.

  8. [ top ]

  9. How do I find out who my advisor is?

    You can find your out who your advisor by checking with the SMPT's office in T-06B.

  10. [ top ]

  11. Where can I find information about the programmes offered at the College of The Bahamas?

    You can find a listing and descriptions of programmes available at COB by reading COB's latest catalogue, available here.

  12. [ top ]

  13. How can I change my major?

    Please talk to your advisor if you are thinking about changing your major. He/she will know what you must do to accomplish this.

  14. [ top ]

  15. Will a "D" grade transfer?

    A grade of D will not transfer to other schools.  A grade of D will meet your program requirements at COB as long as you have a cumulative GPA (grade point average) of 2.0 or higher in your major and programme.

  16. [ top ]

  17. Will my GPA transfer after I transfer to a senior college or university?

    Your COB GPA (grade point average) will not transfer to another school.  The school you transfer into will grant you credit hours for COB courses that are equivalent to their courses.  Colleges will look at your COB GPA to determine if you meet minimum admission requirements for their college, so it is important to have as high a GPA as possible.  Once you transfer your GPA will be based solely on the courses that you take at that school.

  18. [ top ]

  19. Can I transfer to a university before completing my Associates degree?

    Completing the Associate's degree before transferring is not necessary, but it is highly advisable. 

  20. [ top ]

  21. What is a full-time course load?

    Twelve semester hours is considered full-time for most financial aid and most health insurance coverage purposes. However, if you plan to complete an associate/bachelor degree in two/four years (not counting the summer semester) you would need to take more than 12 hours each term. Should you need college prep courses or take only 12 hours per semester, your associate/bachelor degree programme may take more than two/four years to complete.

  22. [ top ]

  23. What are pre-requisites and co-requisites?

    A pre-requisite is a course or minimum requirement that must be met in order to register for another course. For example, the pre-requisite for ENG-120 is ENG-119, meaning you must have completed (or be currently enrolled in) ENG-119 or an equivalent course before being allowed to register for ENG-120.

    A co-requisite is a class that must be taken during the same semester as another class. For example, PHYL- 176 (a lab course) has a co-requisite of PHYS-176 (a lecture course), meaning you cannot register for  PHYL-176 without also registering for PHYS-176.

  24. [ top ]

    Acknowledgement: these questions and answers were adapted from here.