To harvest wood, use Survival Skills, and then select Harvest Wood.
Harvesting wood is a very important part of Frostfall's gameplay. It allows you to build campfires anywhere in Skyrim that there are trees to harvest from. Each time you harvest wood, one hour passes, during which time you will gain exposure if in a cold area.
The kind of wood you can harvest depends on the tools you have available:
Firewood - Only harvestable if you carry a Woodcutter's Axe or a Stone Hatchet. This is the quickest, most effective way to gather enough wood to start a fire and build other supplies.
Deadwood - You can gather deadwood from fallen branches and limbs without any tools; however, the results are more random, and you require more deadwood than you do firewood to start a campfire. However, you have a small chance to obtain a Dense Stone, which can be used to create a Stone Hatchet or Stone Arrows using Survival Skills.
Be warned: if you are Freezing to Death, you will be unable to harvest wood. So, it is advised that you always carry a Woodcutter's Axe in very cold places, so that you can harvest enough wood to start a fire very quickly.
Woodcutter's Axe Durability & Repair
Each time you harvest firewood, your Woodcutter's Axe will be slightly damaged, which is noted in the item's description. After 15 harvests, your axe will break and must be repaired. Woodcutter's Axes can be restored to their full durability at any forge using Iron Ingot(s).
Click below to view 3D models of the stages of disrepair of your Woodcutter's Axe.
Stone Hatchets can only be used once to harvest firewood, after which they break. They can, however, be used as a makeshift war axe indefinitely. Click below to view in 3D.
This feature can be turned off by using Survival Settings, and selecting Camping, Axe Durability. SkyUI 4.1+ Users: This setting is on the Gameplay page.
Once you've gathered some wood, you can choose to build a campfire to restore your exposure and dry yourself off. Use Survival Skills, and select Build Campfire. A campfire placement icon will appear in front of you that will move with you. When you have selected where you would like your campfire to go, place the Action button.
Once you've placed the campfire location on the ground, select it to place your wood on the fire. You need 6 Firewood or 15 Deadwood or 10 ruined books to start a campfire. If your Campfire Mode is "Automatic", your campfire will be lit as soon as you select your fuel. If your Campfire Mode is set to "Manual", you will have to light the fire yourself in one of the following ways:
- "Bashing" the campfire with a torch.
- Using a fire spell.
- Using a fire staff.
- Using the Fire Breath (YOL) shout.
To destroy your campfire, select it, and select "Destroy Campfire". Your campfire can also be put out at any time (without destroying it) using one of the following ways:
- Using a Frost spell.
- Using a Frost staff.
- Using the Unrelenting Force (FUS) shout.
- Using the Frost Breath (FO) shout.
- Using the Ice Form (IISS) shout.
Finding Unlit Campfires
You can use the above methods of lighting a campfire to light any unlit campfire you come across in Skyrim. This includes Giant campfires.
- The Woodcutter's Axe is the single, most important tool to carry in Frostfall. Many of Frostfall's features stem from being able to harvest firewood. Keep it close, and keep it sharp!
- Firewood campfires burn out after 6 hours.
- Deadwood campfires burn out after 3 hours.
- If you sleep in a tent near a campfire, you will always wake up warm, even if your campfire burned out during the night.
- Campfires that have no fuel or are unlit will delete themselves from the world after 48 hours.
- Unused piles of Firewood and Deadwood will delete themselves from the world after 48 hours.
- You cannot put out campfires that were already lit in the world.