Pre-Installation Checklist and Requirements
Make sure you meet all of these criteria before installing Frostfall.
- Backed up your save games. Always a good idea before making a major new installation or upgrade.
- The latest, uncracked version of Skyrim. Older versions will not work. As of today (4/2/2013), this is version 1.9.32.08. If your game is cracked, Frostfall will most likely have problems, and the author will not help you fix them. Stop here, go buy the game, and come back when you're done.
- SKSE and SkyUI 4.1+ are not required, but highly recommended for certain advanced features to work.
How to Install
Steam Workshop users: Frostfall is not available on Steam Workshop.
To install the mod manually (Not Recommended!), extract the contents of the archive to Skyrim\Data.
Now might be a good time for you to scroll down to "STARTING FROSTFALL" for ways to start the mod in-game, read the FAQ, or swing over to the Compatibility page. Frostfall is made even better with complementary mods!
How to Upgrade
NEW: Migrating from Steam Workshop to Skyrim Nexus
Please see here for instructions to migrate from the Steam Workshop version of Frostfall to Skyrim Nexus.
Upgrading Frostfall (2.x to 2.5)
There should be nothing special with this upgrade. It should upgrade straight to 2.5 rather cleanly.
- Back up your save game!
- Uninstall Frostfall using your Mod Manager. You do not need to follow the normal uninstallation procedure; just get rid of the files.
- Download and install Frostfall 2.5.
Upgrading Frostfall (1.6b or earlier to 2.5)
- Please see here for legacy upgrade instructions.
When you first start
the game with Frostfall enabled, you won't notice anything different;
that's because Frostfall doesn't start until you want it to.
Starting Frostfall is simple, and there are three different ways to do it:
- Just look to the stars. Staring up at the night sky for ~8 seconds (in First Person) will start the mod. Stare at the night sky between 7PM and 7AM.
- Open the SkyUI Mod Configuration Menu, go to the Overview page, and click "Not Started". It will prompt you to start the mod.
- Open the console and enter the command: set StartFrostfall to 1.
After a few moments, you will see a message display that notes how you found a copy of a long-lost book, The Survivor's Guide to Skyrim. (This book is purely for flavor, but does contain a lot of useful information, including most of what is on this website!). Once you've found the book, Frostfall's game mechanics will start, and grant you a suite of Survival Skills to aid you along your journey.
New Dangers, New Possibilities
Once Frostfall has begun, the following new game mechanics open up to you:
- Hypothermia - You now have exposure.
This is the core mechanic of Frostfall. Cold areas will chill you to
the bone; fires, and staying in warmer climes will keep you warm
(Riverwood, Falkreath). Exposure is a resource just like health,
magicka, and stamina. Except this is a resource you want to keep close to zero!
- Cold Water Survival
- Water has different temperatures based on the location. Riverwood,
Falkreath, and the Rift areas are nice and refreshing. The Reach and
Whiterun areas have chilly water. The Pale and other snowy locations
have frigid water that can kill in a minute or less. You have another
resource, wetness. Being wet makes your exposure increase more rapidly, so try to stay dry as much as possible.
- Camping Equipment
- To make surviving with the first two points much easier. Adds a
craftable set of tents, torches, backpacks, a cooking pot, fur armor,
and more. Tents let you sleep outdoors. Cooking pots let you cook near a
campfire. To use them, just drop them and select "Place".
You will learn the following new abilities after reading the Survivor's Guide:
- Survival Skills. This is a Power found under your Magic menu that allows you to create survival equipment, harvest wood, build campfires, and so on. Press your Shout key (Z by default) to use it.
- Weathersense. A
power that displays your current Exposure and Wetness, and a
description of the surrounding temperature. I recommend you hot-key this
ability so you can check your condition at any time! (Messages will also appear without using this ability automatically, depending on changing conditions)
- Survival Settings*, which allows you to configure nearly every aspect of Frostfall. Use it the same way as Survival Skills.
of these new powers are usable by selecting them in the Powers menu
under Magic, and pressing the Power (Shout) key (Z by default).
* If SkyUI 4.1+ is installed, the Survival Settings power will not appear. All configuration is done through the Mod Configuration Menu instead.
After successfully installing Frostfall, you have two options:
- Just jump right into the game. Frostfall has a complete in-game tutorial and help system. You also might enjoy just discovering things for yourself. Have fun!
- Stick around these pages to gain a deeper understanding of how Frostfall works. Start here.
- If uninstalling the mod, you must shut it down first, or you could do damage to your character or save game that may not be able to be repaired. SkyUI 4.1+ Users: You can shut down or reactivate Frostfall from the Overview page.