1/2 lb shredded chicken breast or lean ground beef
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons mild green chilies, chopped
1/3 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
4 (8 inch) fat free tortillas, flour
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray a nonstick baking sheet with nonstick spray; set aside.
- Spray a medium nonstick skillet with nonstick spray; set over medium-high heat.
- Add the turkey, onion, garlic, chili powder, oregano, and cumin.
- Cook chicken and shred or brown ground beef, whichever you decide to use.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and the chiles; bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the flavors are blended and the mixture thickens, slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheddar cheese.
- Meanwhile, wrap the tortillas in foil and place in the oven to warm for 10 minutes.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup of the filling into the center of each tortilla.
- Fold in the sides, then roll to enclose the filling.
- Place the chimichangas, seam-side down, on the baking sheet.
- Lightly spray the tops of the tortillas with nonstick spray.
- Bake until golden and crisp, about 20 miuntes.
- Do not turn.
Top with low fat shredded cheese if you wish
Serve with fat free refired beans and homemade salsa and chips.