Ultimate Cinnamon Buns from Cook's Country
- ¾ cup whole milk, heated to 110 degrees
- 1 envelope (2 ¼ teaspoons) rapid-rise or instant yeast
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 4 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 12 pieces and softened
- 1 ½ cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups confectioner's sugar
- Alternatively, make glaze of milk, powdered sugar and vanilla.
For the dough:
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 200 degrees. When oven reaches 200 degrees, shut it off. Line 13X9 baking pan wiht foil allowing excess to hang over pan edges. Grease foil and medium bowl.
2. Whisk milk and yeast in liquid measuring cup until yeast dissolves, then whisk in eggs. In bowl of stand mixer, fitted with dough hook, mix flour, cornstarch, sugar, and salt until combined. With mixer on low, add warm milk mixture in steady stream and mix until dough comes together, about 1 minute. Increase speed to medium and add butter, one piece at a time, until incorporated. Continue to mix until dough is smooth and comes away from sides of bowl, about 10 minutes. Turn dough out onto clean surface and knead to form a smooth, round ball. Transfer dough to prepared bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and place in warm oven. Let rise until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
For the filling:
Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in small bowl. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Roll dough into 18-inch square, spread with butter, and sprinkle evenly with filling. Starting with the edge nearest you, roll dough into tight cylinder, pinch lightly to seal seam, and cut into 8 pieces. Transfer pieces to prepared pan. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in warm spot until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
For the glaze and to bake:
Heat oven to 350. Whisk cream cheese, milk, vanilla, and confectioners’ sugar in medium bowl until smooth. Discard plastic wrap and bake buns until deep golden brown and filling is melted, 35–40 minutes. Transfer to wire rach and top buns with ½ cup glaze; cool 30 minutes. Lift buns from pan and top with remaining glaze. Serve.