3 tablespoons butter
1 cup onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1 clove minced garlic
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
3 tablespoons flour
3 cups chicken broth
1 (16-ounce) package frozen broccoli, thawed and separated
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1) In a medium pot, melt the 3 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions, salt, pepper, and nutmeg and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes.
2) Add the garlic and thyme. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, for 20 seconds. Add the flour and cook, stirring, until the mixture is well blended and smells fragrant, 2 minutes.
3) Slowly add the chicken stock, whisking constantly, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the broccoli and cook, stirring, until tender, for 10 minutes.
4) Remove the pot from the heat and puree with a hand-held immersion blender or, alternatively, puree in batched in a blender or food processor and return to the pot until soup is to desired consistency.
5) Add the milk and bring to bare simmer to heat through. Add the cheese and cook over low heat, stirring, until melted. Remove from the heat serve immediately. Enjoy!