| Sandbox Tools
Time to play in the Sandbox
The Sandbox tools come from a Ruby script language extension that ships with SketchUp. Several of the tools can be used on all types of geometry besides topological terrain.
To use these tools for the first time, enable Sandbox in Window (SketchUp in Mac) > Preferences > Extensions.
Also visit Tips & Tricks. The Organic/Sculpting section has some tutorials that also use Sandbox tools as demonstrated below.
Smoove going - kitty pregnant now
By design, Sandbox's Smoove tool will lift geometry along the Z-axis. But if you HOLD DOWN the SHIFT key while the tool is active, the geometry will move Normal - perpendicular - to the selection.
- Set the tool to a small radius for the greatest control. A small enough radius will lift individual segment ends.
- Do not have any geometry pre-selected before activating the tool.
- Note: This works best with "organic" models. The Smoove+Shift feature may select the opposing model faces (like the opposing side of the kitty geometry being worked on in the animation on the right) if that triangulated geometry is distributed in a mesh pattern similar to the front faces. If this happens, use the Scale tool (demonstrated on some bunny ears). Select the geometry you wanted to Smoove - edges and/or faces - and use the Scale tool instead. The Artisan plugin has a Sculpt tool which work like Smoove + Shift. That tool only modifies the surface the tool touches.
This a a nice Sandbox tool to selectively add detail anywhere extra geometry is needed.
The tool first adds geometry, then move it along the Z-axis or perpendicular - normal - to the surface, if Shift is press once the tool is in motion.
More on Add Detail sculpting coming soon-ish.
Flippin' Good Pedicure
Before adding a bunch of extra geometry, try using the Flip Edge tool to re-contour the surface.
To readily see how edge direction affects the surface, check Use sun for shading in the Shadow Setting browser palette.
Note: To download plugins from SketchUcation, join the forum and logon.
- Artisan Dale Martens - Subdivision modeling with additional sculpting and soft transformation tools.
- AutoSmooth ThomThom - Automatically softens and smooths autofolded edges created by the native tools.
- Bezier Surface ThomThom - WIP
- Curviloft Fredo6 - Loft and skinning.
- ExtrudeTools - Zippered Set TIG - Extrudes a faced-mesh group along various polyline rail-curves.
- HoverSelect Fredo6 - Multiple selection of lines.
- Joint Push Pull Fredo6 - Push/Pulls a curved surface.
- Nudge Todd Burch - Nudges, moves, selected geometry with the keyboard arrow keys.
- Point Merger Tools BTM - developed tools to merge multiple edges.
- RpTools Render Plus Systems - Suite of tools including a move wizard which nudges geometry. Windows
- Sculpt Tools BTM - Suite of sculpting tools.
- Shape Bender Chris Fullmer - bends a model to a curved path.
- Sketchy FreeForm and Deformation Chris Phillips - Deforms a model.
- Subdivide And Smooth Dale Martens - Organic modeling with a Push/Pull-like workflow. This plugin can add excessive geometry, but many people find it useful. Precursor to Artisan.
- triangulateFaces TIG - Triangulates faces so the Sandbox tools can be used.
- Vertex Tools ThomThom - Selection tools for organic modeling. - Fee