Ingredients :- (Makes one 8" tall cake)
[Adapted from here ]
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 whole ripe apricots
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tsp unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp freshly grated lime zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Wash the apricots if using fresh.Ceach cut in half and pit them.Set aside.If using canned apricots, drain them and discard the liquid.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 8" cake pan with at least 2" high sides. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over bottom of skillet. Arrange apricot halves, cut side down, over brown sugar.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, granulated sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and baking soda until blended.
- In a small bowl, whisk buttermilk, eggs, butter, oil, lime zest, and vanilla extract until blended.
- Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and fold with a spatula until just blended. Pour batter over apricots and using a spatula spread evenly.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until skewer inserted in center of cake comes out clean.Mine took 32 minutes.
- Let cool in skillet on wire rack 10 minutes. Run knife around side of skillet. Place platter on top of skillet and carefully invert cake onto platter. Remove skillet.
- Cool cake slightly to serve warm, about 30 minutes.
- I thought that just 4 tbsp oil+butter for a 10" cake was less.So I increased the oil quantity by a tbsp.
- If you like your cakes very sweet, then you may need to increase the sugar quantity in this recipe.
- This recipe will work well with all kinds of fruits.