simple wisdom sutra
americ azevedo, philosopher-at-large
Dialogue & Knowledge
- Socrates mastered dialogue.
- Socrates' dialogues freely moved towards truth.
- Truth has no agenda - it just is.
- Socrates was used by Plato to support Plato's own arguments.
- Each of us knows so little; others may help us gain a greater view.
- Adjust worldviews - incorporating greater information, knowledge, and wisdom.
- The perfect dialogue ends in silence.
- Disciplinary knowledge is well-structured information supporting presentation and memorization.
- Transdisciplinary knowledge takes a step toward wisdom; it's meaningful knowledge without borders.
- David Bohm, as an older man and retired physicist, championed the use of dialogue to renew our social life.
Life - from birth to death
- Life is not fair, it's up to us to make it just.
- Where we are born is a lottary. Could be born anywhere to anyone.
- Because birth is a lotto, social justice is a good idea.
Time, Money and Love
- Time flies by like a river torrent of water.
- When we are young, the summers seem long; when we are old, the summers
- By foreseeing our own death, we may live more fully today.
- When we awaken to who we really are, the paradox of time, money
and life is transcended into unity.
- Shifting from time to eternity is "stopping the world"
here and now.
- Money is totally abstract, but is real because humans live by
- Love is all that is real - not time, not money.
- Time is not real; it's what we make of time in our lives that is real.
- There is only love. Everything else is illusion.
- Laughter happens at the moment of surrender into the eye of a paradox.
Peace on Earth, Golden Rules, and World Religions
- Justice is a basic condition of peace.
- I cannot be truly happy, forfilled or enlightened until everyone else
is. Justice allows it to be "on earth as in heaven".
- If God is real, then we belong to all true religions.
- Human words do not matter. It's the connection to God reality that
- Stopping every hour on the hour. Allow deep intuition to inform
- Know when you have worked enough. Be free from the desire to
always work the earth past its limits.
Physics & Mysticism
- Both mystics and physicists speak of fundamental reality.
- A mystic’s eyes “see” light or pure energy as well as things. Taking
de-light, “of the light”, while seeing, hearing, and feeling.
- The differences are in the use of reason and direct intuition.
- Physics seems to favor reason, but needs intuition to find reasons.
- Mystics favor intuition, but use reason to focus intuition.
- What can be spoken is what language allows us to say. There's a lot more beyond language.
- There is a deep inner transcendental pleasure in both physics and
- I imagined myself a photon of light is traveling through spacetime. It's quiet, still, and magical.
- You are at the center of the cosmos, and so is everyone else.
- Matter is coded with intelligence; otherwise, physics would not exist.
- DNA molecules are codes for living patterns.
- Atomic numbers, electrons and protons, are codes that determine DNA
- All the way down to quarks and "whatevers" there are codes for
patterns of substance leading to us!
- Because of intelligence in us, we reflect back on Universe and find
order and pattern.
- The quantum level informs (gives form to) the cosmos. Biggest and smallest meet. This is mystical.
Computing and Consciousness
- Networked world
- Computing and telecommunications are now fussed together. It's a
networked world. This means that "far" and "near" are not distinct any
more. Nor, is past, present, and future distinct.
- Computers & robots progressively manifest aspects of human
intelligence and purpose.
- Are we a link to a trans-human species? Builders of our own
- Computers took away from us the burdern of endless calculations.
- The day is coming when these calculations will be so fast and so many,
that we will feel that computers are thinking, conscious beings.
- Nonviolence is one of the "great ideas" - generative ideas that transform our world over time. Acting, as if an unstoppable force of creation.
- Nonviolence, ahimsa in Sanskrit, is the first principle in the Jain religion.
- Nonviolence is learned by way of meditation.
- Coming to a moment of silence at least twice a day improves life in unexpected ways.
- There are many, many ways to meditate. Allows methods to change as you change.
- Follow your breath; let go of thoughts as they arise.
- Everyday, take awareness breaks to reflect back on our own states of
- It's been said that Bill Gate's watch chimes every hour - so that
he can remember to take inventory of what he is going.
- The practice of meditation leads to a life of constant meditation,
constant being-here-and-now. That is fully living; fully being here for
life. "Life abundant", as Jesus suggested.
- Home is being dynamically at rest within ourselves; in contrast to
the world, where there is no rest from a sense of darting around.
- Enlightenment does not need meditation to happen - for it is already with us from the beginning but is usually covered up. Meditation is merely a way of cleaning the mind so that the true light that is already us can shine through.
- Being enlightened is being ultimately
Many of us feel so guilty that we cannot allow life to be really easy, lazy.
- With wisdom comes a vast vision and deep feeling - of wholeness.
- With wisdom "ignorance is bliss", but without wisdom
"ignorance is hell".
- Understanding information gives knowledge / understanding knowledge
gives insight / understanding ignorance gives wisdom.
- Let go of all readings and oral teachings. In the end, the vehicle of liberation must also be dropped.
- Enlightenment is nothing at all, yet it is everything. We live between "yes" and "no" - beyond all distinctions. Free.
Copyright 2007-2016 by Americ Azevedo. Updated almost frequently.