Outlook Express 6 (OE6) for Windows Vista,Windows 7,Windows 2008,Windows 2008 R2,Windows 8,Windows 2012, Windows 10
If you have tried Outlook 2010/2007/2003, Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird, Becky, The Bat, Foxmail, Dream Mail ..., and still love Outlook Express 6, and still think it's your favorite email client, then this is the solution for you.
HOW IT WORKS:
The reason that OE6 cannot run in Win7 or newer system, is Microsoft make some OE6 core DLLs incompatible, something called "DLL HELL".
Mainly these files: inetcomm.dll, msoert2.dll, msoeacct.dll, directdb.dll.
However, we cannot simply replace the system DLLs because that may make system or some applications stop working.
So the trick is to let OE6 load old DLLs in current directory when running, and leave system DLLs untouched, then everything should be ok.
The way to let this happen is to hijack NtQueryValueKey of ntdll.dll for OE6 process, then change the return Path to current directory if needed.
Microsoft provide a free tool to do this kind of job, so we just use it: Detours.
HOW TO USE:
1. extract the zip file to a directory
2. run setup.bat as administrator, login as "administrator" account is recommended, any other user account is not "true" administrator
3. For Win7, if you want to save password, you need to replace Protected Storage service with writable version;
For Win8, Protected Storage is removed completed but seems you don't need it
4. start msimn.exe
5. for win10 and common issues, check Comments below the article (if you can't see comments, try sign in with google account at first)
Re-extract all files from XP SP3 with all latest patches applied
Set msimn.exe to XP3 compatibility
Add proper registry entry for eml and nws
Add Build.bat script to help you extract localized copy from XP:
1) Install new XP SP3
2) Copy and extract my 7z file to the XP
3) Run build.bat
4) You localized copy is in build directory
Fixed issue: OE can't start on newly installed OS because directdb.dll is not registered in setup.bat
Add Windows 8 and Windows 2012 support
Fixed issue: "The command failed to execute" error when opening attachement; attachment cannot be saved
Fixed inproper "HOW TO USE" steps