Welsh connections

How Sarah Ann Jones came to marry Frederick Charles Saville in 1891 at Trinity Church, Stepney

To the south-east of Aberystwyth in the region of Tregaron in what was then called Cardiganshire, central Wales, there were many small farms in the 18th and early 19th Centuries, but life was very hard for these Welsh-speaking people. The farmers often had to drive their animals into England to sell them, and Llandovery, to the south-east of Tregaron, was the meeting-place for drovers. There is a bronze statue of a typical drover outside the Information Centre at Llandovery. 


One such farmer was Nathaniel James, who was born at Penlon in 1781 and became a farmer at Tynyswydd. He married Gwenllian Jones, the daughter of farmer John Jones of Llannsawel, at Tregaron Church on December 27th 1811. They had two daughters:

  • Mary James, baptized on April 20th 1812 at Tregaron, and 
  • Sarah James, baptized on December 21st 1814. Sarah married a farmer called David Davies of Caron is Clawdd at Tregaron Church on June 12th 1835. 

David Davies was born in 1803 and baptized at Llanbadarn Odwyn Church on April 17th 1803, the fifth son of eight children of Enoch and Mary Davies. Enoch and Mary, née James, were both born in 1768 and Mary, the daughter of Thomas James of Blaen Ayron, was baptized on May 24th 1768. Enoch Davies was a weaver who lived at "Tynyar", Caron-is-Clawdd and he married Mary James at Llanbadarn Odwyn Church on April 18th 1794. In the 1841 Census Return, when he was aged 73, he had a live-in manservant aged 18, called Benjamin Evans. Enoch and Mary Davies’ eight children were: 

  • Mary, who was born at Tynycornel, but was baptized at Llanbardarn Odwyn on February 8th 1795;
  • Thomas, baptized January 15th 1797; 
  • Enoch junior, baptized May 10th 1799; 
  • Anne, baptized September 13th 1801; 
  • David, born in 1803 and baptized at Llanbadarn Odwyn Church on April 17th 1803;
  • Catherine, baptized April 4th 1805; 
  • Daniel, baptized March 30th 1807; and 
  • Elizabeth, baptized May 7th 1809.

Enoch was buried on March 13th. 1850 and his wife Mary on November 5th 1830 aged 62. Enoch had an older brother David Davies, who had married an Elizabeth Davis. David, who lived at Pyllaudun, was buried June 19th 1847, aged 87. He had five children, including John who emigrated to Canada and David who emigrated to the U.S.A., but returned home to Wales a few years later.

David Davies the son of Enoch and his wife Sarah had three daughters:

  • Margaret, born in 1832; 
  • Mary Eliza, born in 1836; and 
  • Anne, born in 1842. 
Mary Eliza Davies was later to marry David Jones the Second, as described below.

Margaret married William Williams, a lead-miner of Gwnnws and had four children:

  • Thomas, born in 1865, 
  • David, born in 1867, 
  • Sarah, born in 1869, and 
  • Elizabeth, born in 1872. 

Thomas was born at Llangeitho, but the other children were born at Gwnnws. The boy Thomas migrated to London and worked for a time in the dairy business of his aunt Mary Eliza and her husband. His mother later joined him after she had been widowed.

Farmer David Davies died in 1849 and was buried on March 13th at Blaenpennal. His widow, Sarah, née James, moved to Tancastell Caron and married a widower weaver called William Evans of Penlone at Buelchgwynt Chapel near Tregaron on February 24th 1855. Sarah died in 1868 and was buried on August 22nd. Her youngest daughter, Anne, then married her stepfather William Evans, who by then was a farmer, on November 3rd 1871 at Aberystwyth Registry Office, though she was exactly twenty years his junior. Ann produced five children; Sarah, Mary, Enoch, Jack and William Benjamin, who all eventually emigrated to Canada, which was at that time thought to be the land of promise.


Another such farming family was that of David Jones the First, who was born in 1788 and who married a wife called Jane c1811. They had three children: 

  • Morgan Jones, who was born in 1813 at Blaenpennal, though a baptism for him has not been found; 
  • Gwen, who was baptized at Blaenpennal Church on October 23rd 1814; and 
  • Elias, baptized at Blaenpennal on May 4th 1816. 

Morgan Jones became a farmer at Gwargeulan, and later a hatter, when the latter occupation could bring in more money. On January 6th 1841 he married Margaret Williams, the elder of two daughters of William Williams, a miner and hatter of Fanygary (who had been born c1792) and his wife Margaret, whom he had married on May 12th 1814 at Blaenpennal.

Morgan Jones and his wife Margaret also had three children: 

  • David Jones the Second, born in 1842 at Blaenpennal, though no baptism for him has been found; 
  • William Jones, baptized at Blaenpennal on January 8th 1843; and 
  • Elias Jones the Second, born at Blaenpennal in 1847.

Morgan Jones died and was buried at Gwargeulan on December 31st 1883, aged 72. His widow Margaret, was buried there on October 21st 1890, aged 77. 

William Jones and his wife Mary migrated to Bromley in Kent, where they had four children: 

  • William Jones the Second, born in 1868; 
  • Morgan R. Jones (Morgan the Second), born in 1873; 
  • Kate Jones, born in 1874; and 
  • David Jones the Third, born in 1877.

David Jones the Second migrated to London in 1866 at the age of 24. He went by train from Llandovery Station, which had been opened in 1858. David lived at 9 Norwich Court, Fetters Lane in East London, where he met Mary Eliza Davies, the middle daughter of David Davies and his wife Sarah (née James), who had migrated to London. She was several years his senior, and was living at 10 Braziers Buildings, Farringdon Street. He married her on May 22nd 1867 at the Ebenezer Chapel on the western border of the City of London. The ceremony was performed by a pastor named William Davies who may have been a relative. The witnesses were Enoch and Mary Jones, who may also have been relatives. At that time David was a carpenter and joiner by trade, but he had not forgotten the business of farming and later took a job as a dairyman, thus becoming the proverbial "Jones the Milk". At first he and Mary Eliza lived at 82 Central Street, Clerkenwell. They had eight children: 

  • William Morgan Jones, born on July 7th 1868 at Clerkenwell; 
  • Sarah Ann, born November 21st 1869 at Sydenham; 
  • Margaret, born in 1872 at Bow; 
  • Mary, born in 1874 and who died in 1884; 
  • Flora, born in 1876 and who died in 1879; 
  • Elizabeth, born in 1877; 
  • Eleanor, born in 1878; and finally 
  • Florence, born in 1880, the latter five all born at Bow.

David and Mary Eliza and their family had moved to 180 Roman Road, Bow, in the 1880s, to the house and shop next door to that owned by the Saville family. In the 1881 Census Thomas Williams aged 15, who was also a milkman, and was the son of Mary Eliza’s sister, was lodging with the family, so the influx of relatives into the capital city was continuing. The eldest daughter of David and Mary Eliza Jones, Sarah Ann Jones, went into domestic service until the age of 22, when on May 16th 1891 she married Frederick Charles Saville at Trinity Church, Stepney.

David Jones died at Cricket Field Cottages, Ashford Road, Eastbourne, on April 24th. 1900, aged 59. He had had a serious cold which left him with chronic bronchitis and the doctor prescribed sea air, so he and one of his daughters went to Eastbourne so that he could recuperate. He died suddenly in his chair as he was talking to his daughter. He left £1645..18s..6d to his widow, so he had not done at all badly, for when he arrived in London thirty-five years earlier he had nothing but the clothes he stood in, and yet he had raised six children. Mary Eliza died shortly afterwards. Their daughters Eleanor and Margaret became clerks before their marriages.

Of the other children of David and Mary Eliza Jones:

  • William Morgan Jones started his working life as a milkman, but then became a tram driver at Clerkenwell in London. He married a girl called Lily Hart, who had been born near Castle Carey in Somerset c1890 and then moved to Twickenham and had two children; Winifred, who was born in 1891 and who later married Herbert Hammond and who died in 1980 aged 89; and John, called ‘Jack‘, who was born c1894. No further details of Jack are known, but he would have been eligible for the carnage of Flanders and so may not have survived the First World War. He may be the soldier next to David F.W. Saville standing on the back row in the large wedding group photograph taken at Leyton in 1915. 
  • Margaret Jones, who was always known as ‘Peggy’, married William Goodwin Hinton, a widower with two grown-up sons, Norman and Stephen, and by him had a daughter, Margaret Frances Hinton, who was also known as ‘Peggy’, and who was born May 5th 1909 at 5 Dukes Avenue, Muswell Hill, London. Margaret Hinton senior died at Ipswich in 1938. Her daughter had been sent to a Boarding School at an early age and during school holidays was looked after by a London shopkeeper called Miss Elizabeth Waters, whom the girl knew as "Aunt Libby". When she left school she went to live with her Aunt Nell at "Whitegates", Warwick Bench, Guildford, for a short while and finally went off to Newcastle to live with another aunt called Florence, who was unmarried. 
  • Elizabeth Jones was always known as ‘Beth’. She went to live at Hastings with a Miss Bluett, where she worked as a nurse and died unmarried. 
  • Eleanor Jones, known as ‘Nell’, married Charles Smith and lived at Guildford in Surrey. She became a Sister in a hospital in that town. 
  • Florence Jones, the youngest of the family, became Matron of a Nurses’ Home in Newcastle, and, after her retirement, moved to Corby in Northamptonshire, where she died in 1958, aged 78. She did not marry. Peggy Hinton (née Margaret Jones) then moved to Hexham in Northumberland.

The Jones family had a great ear for music and could sing well and play various instruments ‘by ear’. These talents were passed on to some of the descendants of Sarah Ann. Dorothy Welch (née Saville) could play the piano untaught. David F.W. Saville could play the violin and the flute untaught.

Unfortunately the Jones and Davies families cannot be traced further back in Wales than 1788 and 1768 respectively as the Church Registers have not survived.

Comments