Gas Pipeline Educational Forum
Old Town House, 1
Town House Road, Pomfret Center
Please attend our forum if you want answers to the following questions:
1. How will pipeline expansions affect my town & neighborhood?
2. How will the cost of these new projects affect my energy bill?
3. Is methane, or fracked, natural gas, really a bridge fuel?
4. What are the health and safety impacts for local residents?
5. What is the effect on the environment of piping fracked gas under rivers, through wetlands, and across sensitive ecosystems?
6. How does leaked methane impact climate change?
7. More gas = more fracking = more toxic, radioactive fracking waste. What does this mean for CT?
There is significant concern about the effects of these construction projects on the economy, environment, health and safety of the citizens of Connecticut, and development of low carbon, renewable energy alternatives.This event is free and open to the public.
What should climate activists do in 2015 now that the PCM is a happy memory? http://grist.org/climate-energy/heres-what-climate-activists-should-do-in-2015/
1. Target 100 percent clean energy. The best defense is a good offense. The costs of wind and solar are a fraction of what they were just a few years ago. Clean energy — plus savings from energy efficiency — is now cheaper than gas, coal, and nukes in many parts of the country and the world. Why keep fracking, mining, and burning dirty fuels when investing in clean energy creates more jobs; cuts air, water, and carbon pollution; and saves people money? As we organize, we need to set our sights on 100 percent clean energy cities, 100 percent clean energy campuses, 100 percent clean energy corporations, dive bars, NBA teams, and more. State-by-state, the president’s Clean Power Plan gives us an opportunity to begin building a 100 percent clean energy economy that works for everyone.
2. To change everything, we need everyone. Climate activists joined forces with economic-justice organizations, unions, housing advocates, and so many others for the People’s Climate March — the largest climate demonstration in U.S. history. Our movement is finally making long-overdue progress on becoming more diverse and building meaningful relationships with the communities on the front lines of climate change. We can’t succeed unless our solutions work for everyone, not just a privileged few. Access to clean energy and a safe, healthy environment is a fundamental human right and essential to a free and democratic society.
3. Will the empire strike back, or
strike out? The coal, oil, and gas industries are fighting so hard for a
reason. The coal industry knows it’s losing its chokehold on the power sector,
and oil and gas executives see growing resistance to fracking, tar sands, and
oil trains. They’ve spent millions to buy a friendly Congress. Will they
prevail? Will Republicans — and some Democrats — be allowed to roll back
protections for air, water, and our climate? Sometimes you have to hunker down
and play defense: We cannot afford to give up the ground we’ve gained in
stopping polluters over the past five decades.
Cash back for customer, fundraising for local chapter, and clean energy (win for the environment!) This is what happens when you go solar through Sungevity! Join the solar revolution and help your local Sierra Club at the same time. Get a quote and see how you can join the revolution. Just go to: www.sierraclub.org/solarhomes
For more information about the program click here for the FAQ (frequently asked questions)
Get a free consultation and sign up for solar panels soon!
1) CLEAN ENERGY MOVES US BEYOND COAL AND OTHER DIRTY ENERGY SOURCES: Going solar supports the mission and work of the Sierra Club.
2) OPPORTUNITY TO PARTICIPATE IN CLIMATE SOLUTIONS: Going solar now supports green jobs and helps clean energy grow.
3) TESTED PROGRAM: Feedback from pilot was overwhelmingly positive—good experience with process, Sungevity, and they love using clean energy!
4) SUPPORT LOCAL CHAPTERS: National Sierra Club promotion of the Solar Homes program supports local chapters who will receive unrestricted funds for advocacy and conservation programs as well as crucial overhead costs.5) TIME IS RIGHT FOR SOLAR: Affordable leasing options are available and you can be a part of the growing solar revolution.
6) DIRTY ENERGY IS COSTING US ALL: Coal is making our kids and adults sick by polluting the air we breathe and the water we drink. Big Coal profits at the expense of people.7) CLEAN ENERGY IS CREATING JOBS AND POWERING THE ECONOMY: Wind and solar already provide more jobs than the coal mining industry. Generating power with solar creates seven times more jobs than doing so with coal. __________________________________________________________________
Coal 101: A simple way to visualize the problems with coal, the outdated way to make power. A clean energy future is available now; why don't we move beyond coal? (click on image)