Welcome to my homepage!
I am a post-doctoral fellow at the Skalny Center, University of Rochester. My research interest lies mainly in Economic Development, Political Economy, and Trade.
- European Journal of Political Economy 37, pp. 102-115, 2015. (with Jakob de Haan and Sjoerd Beugelsdijk)
- “The Rise and Fall of Small Businesses during Economic Development: Evidence from Chinese Cities” (with Ana Moreno and Victoria Euse), forthcoming at Growth and Change.
- “The Missing Link: China's Contracted Engineering Projects in Africa” Review of Development Economics 18(3), pp. 564-584, 2014. (with Yin-Wong Cheung, Jakob de Haan, XingWang Qian)
- “China’s Outward Direct Investment in Africa” Review of International Economics 20(2), pp.201-220, 2012.(with Yin-Wong Cheung, Jakob de Haan, Xingwang Qian)
- “China‘s Investments in Africa” (Slides!) in The Evolving Role of China in the Global Economy 2010 CESifo Venice Summer Institute Conference Volume, edited by Yin-Wong Cheung and Jakob de Haan, MIT Press, 2012. (with Yin-Wong Cheung, Jakob de Haan, Xingwang Qian)
Work in Progress
- "Political Leader Survival: Does Competence Matter?" (with Richard Jong-A-Pin), CESifo working paper no.4465, revise and resubmit at Public Choice.
- "The Successor's Dilemma and Social Mobilization: In the Case of Mao Zedong and the Cultural Revolution" (with Yuan Li and Yongjing Zhang), submitted.
- "Africa Rising: Harnessing the Demographic Dividend" (with Paulo Drummond, Vimal Thakoor), IMF Working Paper no 14/143, cited in SSA Regional Economic Outlook (IMF, 2015).
- “Political Stability, Leader Selection, and Economic Growth” presented at the 2014 EPCS meeting, Cambridge and 2014 BBQ workshop, Heidelberg.
- "China's Outward Direct Investment: An Analysis at the Firm Level" (with Randall Stone, Yu Wang).
- "Designated Succession: When Does It Work in Authoritarian Regimes?" (with Yuan Li and Yongjing Zhang).
- “The Alma Mater Effect. Does Foreign Education of Political Leaders Influence Voting Behavior in the United Nations General Assembly?" (with Axel Dreher) presented at the 2014 SMYE, Vienna.
- ‘’Total Factor Productivity among Cities in China: Estimation and Explanation” (with Yan Xu), the Conference Board EPWP Np.12-01.
- "Family Dynasties" (with Hein Goemans).
- "Who Visits China?" (with Randall Stone, Yu Wang).
- "Investment and Demographic Transition: The Implication for Africa" (with Vimal Thakoor).
- 2014: Post-doctoral Fellow at University of Rochester (Skanly Center)
- 2013: the IMF Summer Internship Programme (Washington, D.C., USA)
- 2010: the Robert H. McGuckin III Summer Fellowship in Economics, the Conference Board (NY, USA)