Senior Research Scientist (Tech lead), Baidu ADU, Sunnyvale, CA USA (Nov. 2014 - present)
I'm one of the founding team members of the Baidu Autonomous Driving Car project. I joined Baidu in 2014. I'm a senior research scientist(tech lead) at Baidu Autonomous Driving Business Unit in United States (ADU-US) now. Since Jan. 2016, I spend most of my time in Beijing, and lead the vehicle positioning team and high precision map team at Baidu ADU.
Doctor of Philosophy (2008 - 2014) in University of California, San Diego.
My research interests include Computer Vision, Robotics, LiDAR/Camera based Vehicle Localization, Visual Perception, Visual Odometry (VO), Simultaneous Localization and Mapping (SLAM), Structure from Motion (SFM), 3D Reconstruction.
Email: songshiyu [AT] baidu.com
- Xinwen Lianbo spent 2min30s introducing Baidu driverless car! Check here! (12/10/2015).
- Baidu driverless car completes test on Beijing roads (I feel very proud that the localization technology is developed by me) Check here! (12/10/2015).
- Received Award Employee of the Quarter at Baidu IDL US (Q3 2015).
- Patent US-9,148,650 is grant. (09/29/2015).
- A paper is accepted by T-PAMI. (07/31/2015).
- Patent US-9,070,202 is grant. (06/31/2015).
- A paper is accepted in CVPR 2015 (Oral). (03/02/2015).
- I joined Baidu IDL as a research scientist. (11/03/2014).
- I defended my PhD dissertation today~! (06/10/2014).
- A paper is accepted in CVPR 2014 [project][pdf] [video] [bibtex] (03/01/2014).
- I joined Media Analytics Department of NEC Labatories America Inc, Cupertino (01/06/2014).
- A paper is accepted in ICRA 2013 [link] [project][pdf] [bibtex] (03/22/2013).
- Received Spot Recognition Award for the project "Real-Time Monocular SFM for Autonomous Driving" in NEC Laboratories America (12/02/2012).
Projects and Publications
- Employee of the Quarter, Baidu IDL US, Q3 2015
- Spot Recognition Award, "Real-Time Monocular SFM for Autonomous Driving", Department of Media Analytics, NEC Laboratories America, 2012
Shiyu Song, Manmohan Chandraker, "Joint SFM and Detection Cues for Monocular 3D Localization in Road Scenes", In CVPR 2015: IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, Boston, Massachusetts, June 8-10, 2015, [pdf] (Oral presentation Acceptance Ratio: 3.3%).
Shiyu Song, Manmohan Chandraker, Clark C. Guest, "High Accuracy Monocular SFM and Scale Correction for Autonomous Driving", accepted in IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (T-PAMI), to appear.
Shiyu Song, Manmohan Chandraker, "Robust Scale Estimation in Real-Time Monocular SFM for Autonomous Driving", In CVPR 2014: IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, Columbus, Ohio, June 24-27, 2014, [link][project][pdf] [video] [bibtex]. Acceptance Ratio: 29%.
Shiyu Song, Manmohan Chandraker, Clark C. Guest, "Parallel, Real-Time Monocular Visual Odometry", In ICRA 2013: IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Karlsruhe, Germany, May 6-10, 2013, [link] [project][pdf] [bibtex], Acceptance Ratio: 39%.
Shiyu Song, Mohammed Billoo, Clark C. Guest, Kamran Mahbobi, "Multi-Sensor Comparison and Data Fusion for Mapping Enclosed Spaces'', Journal of Electronic Imaging, 21(2), 021104 (May 10, 2012). doi:10.1117/1.JEI.21.2.021104. [bibtex]
- Jan. 2016 - present, Senior Research Scientist (Tech Lead), Baidu Autonomous Driving Business Unit (Baidu ADU), Sunnyvale, CA USA
- Nov. 2014 - Dec. 2015, Research Scientist, Baidu IDL, Sunnyvale, CA USA
- Jan. 2014 - Oct. 2014, Senior Associate Researcher, NEC Laboratories America, Cupertino, CA USA
- Apr. 2012 - Dec. 2013, Research Intern, NEC Laboratories America, Cupertino, CA USA, advised by Dr. Manmohan Chandraker
- Jun. 2011 - Mar. 2012, Research Assistant, High Performance GeoComputing Lab, San Diego Supercomputer Center, La Jolla, CA USA, advised by Dr. Yifeng Cui
- Apr. 2011 - Jun. 2011, Software Engineer Intern, MaXentric Technologies LLC, La Jolla, CA USA
- Jun. 2009 - Jan. 2011, Research Assistant, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, USA, advised by: Prof. Clark C. Guest
- "Moving Object Localization in 3D Using a Single Camera", United States Patent # 9,070,202, grant on 06/31/2015, Assignee: NEC Labs America.
- "Real-time Monocular Visual Odometry", United States Patent # 9,148,650, grant on 09/29/2015, Assignee: NEC Labs America.
- "Real-time Monocular Structure from Motion", United States Application # 13/858,041, filed on 04/06/2013, published on 05/22/2014, Applicant: NEC Labs America.