FSX and Real F-111 Aircraft

 F-111E 68-0020 'My Lucky Blonde'

 

  General Dynamics F-111E “Aardvark” was brought on charge on December 17, 1969 and allocated to the 27th TFW at Cannon AFB, New Mexico. In October 1970 the aircraft was transferred to the 474th TFW located at Nellis AFB, Nevada. In March of 1971 68-0020 moved back to the 27th TFW and later that year transferred to the 20th TFW at RAF Upper-Heyford, England. The aircraft was retired and entered the Hill Aerospace Museum where it was painted and displays as “My Lucky Blonde”.


 F-111F 70-2390 ‘Miss Liberty II’

 “Miss Liberty II” was the lead F-111 in Operation El Dorado Canyon. This was retaliation for a Libyan sponsored bombing of a Berlin night club that killed 1 U.S. Serviceman and a civilian also injuring 200 others of which 63 were U.S. Military personnel. 70-2390 flew with the call-sign Remit 31.

  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F-111F 72-1446 492nd TFS

F-111F 72-1446 is the aircraft that released GBU-15 IR guided bomb on the evening of 27 January 1991 to shut off the manifold at the Al Amadi oil pumping facility that was being used by the Iraqis to pollute the nearby sea.

 

F-111G A8-272 'Boneyard Wrangler'

  'Boneyard Wrangler' of the RAAF 6th Squadron. This aircraft was removed from storage and transported to McClellan AFB in California for refurbishment. It was sold to Australia in May 1994. It was nicknamed 'Boneyard Wrangler' as it was the first F-111 to be recovered from the Boneyard (or aircraft graveyard). The tail depicts a skull wearing a red slouch hat with a yellow lightning bolt behind - tail number A8-272. This was the aircraft involved in the 'flyover' at the closing ceremony of the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games.


F-111G A8-274 '6th Squadron'

 

  In 1995, a new chapter in Australian F-111 operations commenced with the arrival into service of 15 F-111G aircraft. These ex-USAF Strategic Air Command aircraft were purchased to extend the life of the type in RAAF Service, and served exclusively with No 6 Squadron. From October 2008, No 6 Squadron became the sole operator of the F-111. Finally, in December 2010, the F-111 fleet was retired.

 

F-111G A8-274 6 Sqn. ‘60 Years’

   This F-111G originally was USAF FB-111A s/n 68-0274 that had been upgraded. This aircraft along with 14 other “G”s were purchased by the RAAF in 1993 to complement or replace some of their existing “C” variants. In 1999 to celebrate 60 years service the 6 Squadron aircraft “A8-274” was selected to receive the special 60th Anniversary paint scheme.


FB-111A 69-6510 'Sleepy Time Gal'

 During 1986, the 380th BW adopted some of the 380th Bombardment Group's B-24 nose-arts and started to name each aircraft of the Wing. "Sleepy Time Gal" was a B-24H s/n 42-0749 assigned to the 392nd Bomb Group (H), 577th Bomb Squadron at Raf Wendling from August 1943 to May 1945. Painted on FB-111A 69-6510. On the left side, had a scroll containing the legend "The Flying Circus" and four World War 2 squadron badges displayed beneath with the 380th BW emblem and the inscription "380th Bombardment Group Association".


FB-111A 69-0509 'Spirit of the Seacoast'

  "Max Effort' first appeared on B-29A s/n 44-27296 from the 393rd Bomb Squadron in 1945. Because that B-29 had a name only and no nose-art, it was given to FB-111A 69-6509 which was dedicated to the Seacoast Community and assigned as Wing Commander's aircraft on 17 Sept. 1982.


FB-111A 68-0265 'Net Results'

  During 1986, the 380th BW adopted some of the 380th Bombardment Group's B-24 nose-arts and started to name each aircraft of the Wing.

 

FB-111A 69-6508 ‘Strange Cargo'

  

"Strange Cargo" was a B-29A s/n 44-27300 assigned to the 509th Composite Group (VH), 393rd Bomb Squadron at North Field, Tinian from May 1945 until October 1945. Painted on FB-111A 69-6508 with 'Tiger Meet' tail.


FB-111A 68-0247 'Tiger Meet'

  

 In July 1978, the 393rd BMS deployed one FB-111A to the Tiger Meet 78 taking place at Keine-Brogel AB in Belgium. The FB-111A 68-0247 flown by Jake Mentz and Doug Kohlhepp was given tiger stripes on its tail with automobile paint and a SAC milky way banner from a missile was applied across the nose. The pilot and navigator had their names painted below the cockpit.

 


FB-111A 68-0269 'New Hampshire Special'

 

In 1948 all U.S. bomber units were ordered to concentrate on improving their bombing accuracy and navigation skills. This would be accomplished through a competition that would become known as “Operation Giant Voice”. The 509th BW from Pease AFB in New Hampshire took home the top prize the Fairchild Trophy. In 1974 the “Bomb Comp” as the crews called it was held at Barksdale AFB in Louisiana. The insignia on the tail is SAC’s 2nd Air Force “Flying Deuce”.

 

FB-111A 67-194 "Frankenvark"

 

 FB-111A #8, tail number 67-7194. It was nicknamed "Frankenvark" due to the rebuild efforts after 2 nearly catastrophic crashes. Since the rebuild efforts used major airframe components parts from other 'Varks' ( a la Dr Frankenstein ), the jets became widely and affectionately known within the FB community as "Frankenvark". The magicians at GD used structural parts from at least five aircraft already in the boneyard to rebuild Frankenvark. Between the two mishaps at least eight aircraft contributed structural parts.


YFB-111A 39783 Prototype

  The prototype YFB-111A was converted from the last pre-production F-111A (S/N 63-9783). The major changes to the aircraft included a larger wing initially developed for the F-111B (U.S. Navy version). The wing had a span of 70 feet in the fully extended (16-degree sweep) setting seven feet more than the F-111A. The aircraft also was designed with a stronger landing gear and more powerful versions of the Pratt & Whitney TF30 engines. The prototype's first flight was on July 30, 1967, when it was equipped with F-111A engines (TF30-P-1).

 

F-111A 39771 NASA

 

 Over a span of about 23 years from 1967 to about 1990, records indicate around six General Dynamic F-111 Aardvark aircraft were at the NASA Dryden Flight Research Center, Edwards, California. During this time span, four areas of significant flight testing stand out. The first tests occurred during the late 1960s when NASA worked on evaluating problems with the early F-111A (#63-9771 and #63-9777) for the Air Force and Navy.



F-111A 39778 AFTI

 The 13th F-111A was used in the joint USAF/NASA F-111 Mission Adaptive Wing project, part of the Advanced Fighter Technology Integration (AFTI) program, was sponsored NASA Langley, NASA Dryden, the Air Force Flight Test Center, Air Force Wright Aeronautical Laboratory, and Boeing. The airplane is now part of the AFFTC Museum collection, and is currently in storage at Edwards on the old South Base ramp.


F-111A 39778 TACT

 Starting in 1971 the NASA Flight Research Center and the US Air Force undertook a major research and flight testing program, using F-111A (#63-9778), which would span almost 20 years before completion. NASA and the US Air Force started the Transonic Aircraft Technology (TACT) program. The supercritical wing improved the performance of the TACT/F-111A. The wing delayed the drag rise at transonic speeds and produced substantially more lift then the conventional wing.

 

FB-111A-CF 67-0159

 USAF s/n 67-0159 is an FB-111A-CF, the first of 76 built by General Dynamics in Ft Worth, TX. It was delivered to the USAF on 4 September 1968 and assigned to the Air Force Flight Test Center (AFSC), Edwards AFB, CA. In July 1980 it was assigned to the Sacramento Air Logistics Center (AFLC), McClellan AFB, CA, to test and verify technological and weapons modifications. Originally painted in the white and orange of Sacramento Flight Test, it was retired in August 1990 and painted in the camouflaged color scheme used by strategic and tactical forces.

 

F-111B 151970 PROTOTYPE

 The F-111B was part of the TFX program, an ambitious early-1960s project to combine the U.S. Air Force requirement for a fighter-bomber with the U.S. Navy's need for a long-range carrier-based Fleet Air Defense fighter. First F-111B flight 18 May 1965 crewed by Ralph 'Dixie' Donnell and Ernie Von Der Hayden. Ejection seats fitted. Scrapped December 1969. Remains in a Washington DC scrap metal yard were eventually destroyed by July 2000


F-111B 151972 PRE PRODUCTION

The F-111B was part of the TFX program, an ambitious early-1960s project to combine the U.S. Air Force requirement for a fighter-bomber with the U.S. Navy's need for a long-range carrier-based Fleet Air Defense fighter. Believed to be used for spares in the eventual restoration of 152715 also at NAWS China Lake


F-111C AB-125, 25 Years

 

RAAF 25 years of  F-111 operations at Amberley celebrations were held on 31 May and 1 June 1998.


F-111C AB-131, 30 Years

Amberley’s No. 82 Wing and the F-111 community celebrated the 30th anniversary of F-111 operations in the Royal Australian Air Force on June 1, 2003.


F-111C AB-147, 1 Squadron

 1 Squadron operated F-111s in the low-level strike role following their arrival in Australia in 1973. Although they were never used in combat, the F-111Cs gave the RAAF a powerful strike capability. The squadron flew its last F-111 sortie in October 2008.