Study the words that are highlighted in your child's agenda.
You will the spelling activites here. Attached are extra grids and a student made wordsearch page. Enjoy!
1. Syllables Tree Map
2. Rhyme Time
3. Z to A Order
4. 5 times each
5. X Words
6. ABC Order
7. Spelling Addition
8. Categories Tree Map
9. Student Made Word Search
10. Sailboat Style
11. Rainbow Words
1. Valuable Words
4. Story Words
7. Say That Again
9. Friendly Letter
10. Ransom Words
Spelling Contract Activities Descriptions
1. Syllables Tree Map-Using a tree map, sort your words by the number of syllables. *If all of your words have only 1 syllable, you must choose a different activity.
Syllables fish lobster octopus crab catfish
fish lobster octopus
2. Rhyme Time- Write each spelling word 2 times. Write a rhyming word next to the spelling word.
ex. cat cat hat
3. Z to A Order- Write your words in Z to A order. This is the opposite of ABC order.
4. 5 Times Each- Write each spelling word 5 times.
5. X Words- Write 2 words having one common letter so that they criss-cross.
6. ABC Order- Write your spelling words in alphabetical order.
7. Spelling Addition- Write each spelling word two times. Give each spelling word a point value by adding 2 points for each vowel and 3 points for each consonant.
ex. bat bat 3 + 2 + 3 = 8
8. Categories Tree Map- Using a tree map, sort your spelling words according to the part of speech (noun, verb, adjective).
Noun-person, place or thing
Verb- an action word
Adjective- a describing word
Categories Tree Map fish run blue lobster swim large
Categories Tree Map
fish run blue
lobster swim large
9. Student Made Word Search- Use the empty grid to make your own word search. Write the weekly spelling words in the boxes. Circle or highlight the words. Fill in the remaining boxes with random letters.
10. Sailboat Style- Write each of your spelling words in sailboat style. Add a letter as you move down the sail. On the boat, write your spelling word again.
11. Rainbow Words- Write your first spelling word. Trace the word with a color (crayon or colored pencil). Trace the word again with a different color. Repeat with 3 more colors for a total of 5 colors. Do this for each spelling word.
12. Ketchup/Mustard- Write the weekly spelling words with a red and yellow colored pencil or crayon. Consonants should be in red and vowels should be yellow.
ex. f i s h
(red) (yellow) (red) (red)
1. Valuable Words- Write your spelling word down your paper. Use the table to find the value of each letter. Add up the amount. You may use a calculator. Repeat for each word.
ex. f .25
2. Sentences- Use your first spelling word in a sentence. Repeat this for every spelling word.
3. Headlines!- Search for your spelling words in newspaper or magazines. Cut out the words and glue them to a piece of paper.
4. Story Words- Write a short story using all of your spelling words. Circle your words in the story.
5. Questions- Write a question for each of your spelling words. Circle the spelling word in the sentences.
6. Definitions- Using a dictionary, find the definition of each of your spelling words. Write the spelling word and the definition. You may use an online dictionary.
7. Say That Again- Look up your words in a thesaurus. Write words that mean the same thing. You may also use an online thesaurus.
ex. look see view
8. Poem- Write a poem using 8 or more of your spelling words. Circle the words in your poem.
9. Friendly Letter- Write a letter to a friend using all of your spelling words. Use your imagination and be creative!
10. Ransom Words- Write your spelling words by cutting out letters in newspapers or magazines and gluing them together. Find each letter individually.