Instructions to create a Today date field in a SharePoint List that is updated by workflows using SharePoint Designer.
This helps solve the problem for calculated fields that need to use the current date.
This method utilizes an "endless loop", so keep that in mind if you decide to implement. Also, in my example I do not store Version History.
1) Create a new column called Today.
2) Create a new column called 1stTodayEntry.
3) Create a new column called TodayUpdateCount.
4) In SharePoint Designer, create a workflow called Workflow - Current Date.
5) In SharePoint Designer, create a workflow called Workflow - Current Date Loop.
If you already have some items existing, just edit the properties & change the following to have the shown values: