|Aug '16: Data Scientist @ Twitter Cortex - Artificial Intelligence Scientist (AI) natural language understanding (NLU)
Jul '16: Ph.D. defense
Apr '16: Won $250k funding from NIST Data Science Evaluation series, Washington DC
Nov '15: Presentation at LDBC 7th TUC at IBM TJ Watson in New York. details
Nov '15: Presentation at MIT CSAIL Database group.
Oct '15: Journal Paper in Journal of Applied Remote Sensing
Sep '15: Internship @ MERL Mitsubishi Research Labs (MERL): "Deep Learning for Spoken Language Understanding"
Apr '15: Founded Deep Morph LLC in state of Florida. With first flagship product HoodPantry.com
Feb '14: Won $750 as 2nd place in Hoggetowne hackathon. Department news covers our win here!
Jun '13: Big data challenge NIST TREC KBA- SSF. 45 TB text scala/java spark. Knowledge base. FLAIRS-27
Jun '12: News coverage on me introducing Iran for children in Levy County, Florida public library Here
|In love with Artificial Intelligence (AI), he started with Lisp in his undergrad in 2003 and these days through Deep Learning for Natural Language Understanding. Whether at Twitter Cortex, MERL, or UFL he applys deep learning to various NLP tasks. Received his Ph.D. from University of Florida, working with Dr. Daisy Wang on constructing a continuous probabilistic knowledge base from text. - Knowledge base construction - question answering systems - chat bots -Memory systems - deep learning architectures.
He has founded Deep Morph LLC in the state of Florida with a first flagship product Hoodpantry.com
He has participated in ACM ICPC (International Collegiate Programming Contest) for over 3 years; achieving an Honorary Degree with his team in the Asia
regional contest, 2005. In this contest he was
both the coach and a contestant of the team here.
He has advocated voluntary services in communities in Salt Lake City UT, San Antonio TX, Gainesville FL, etc.
Deep Learning for natural language understanding (NLU/NLP) Machine Learning & Data Mining
Big Data Systems
Probabilistic Knowledge Base Construction and Maintenance
Shahriari Nia, M. and M. Valipour, "
of Programming Contest (SE for UVA)", translation to Persian, 2007
1. Shahriari Nia, M., DZ Wang, SA Bohlman, P Gader, SJ Graves, M Petrovic, "Impact of atmospheric correction and image filtering on hyperspectral classification of tree species using support vector machine" Journal of Applied Remote Sensing 9 (1), 095990-095990, 2015
2. Shahriari Nia, M., C Grant, Y Peng, DZ Wang, M Petrovic, "Streaming Fact Extraction for Wikipedia Entities at Web-Scale" The Twenty-Seventh International Flairs Conference 2013
3. Shahriari Nia, M., C Grant, Y Peng, DZ Wang, M Petrovic, "University of Florida Knowledge Base Acceleration Notebook" The Twenty-Second Text REtrieval Conference (TREC 2013)
4. Shahriari Nia, M., Khaxar, M., Rashti, S.M., N.M. Charkari, "Discrete Probabilistic DV-Hop: Reengineering High Accuracy Range-free WSN Localization", Ultra Modern Telecommunications & Workshops, 2009. ICUMT '09. International Conference on. IEEE SASN'09 12-14 Oct. 2009
5. S.M. Rashti, M. Mollanoori, Shahriari Nia, M., and N.M. Charkari, "A Prediction-based Algorithm for Target Tracking in Wireless Sensor Networks", Ultra Modern Telecommunications & Workshops, 2009. ICUMT '09. International Conference on. IEEE SASN'09 12-14 Oct. 2009
6. Shahriari Nia, M., "Sensor Network Localization via Mass-Spring Relaxation", M.Sc. Thesis, ECE Dept. Tarbiat Modares University, 2009 --- In Persian: This covers the approach we took towards WSN localization
7. Shahriari Nia, M., "Localization in Wireless Sensor Networks", M.Sc. Seminar, ECE Dept. Tarbiat Modares University, 2008 --- In Persian: This is an extensive survey over the popular localization algorithms
8. Shahriari Nia, M., "Autonomous Robocup Simulation Challenges", B.A. Thesis, CE Dept. Tarbiat Moallem University, 2007
He has fell in love! with open source development on various projects that you can find on his github page. On his spare
times, he enjoys playing soccer, volleyball, badminton, hiking, riding
his mountain bike off-the-road, swimming, ... . He used to ride his bike at least 160 miles every month!
He also enjoys philosophy and challenging theological aspects of
different religions. He also enjoys doing service for the people in need
as he believes everything we have is not a privilege for us, but an
opportunity to get closer to the real intention of being a human being. His wikipedia contributions are Wiki(or here).
Motto: "Have no fear of perfection, You'll never reach it" Salvador Dali 1904-1989
It doesn't matter what you choose to be, whatever you choose to be be damn good at it
You can't get what you want if you don't know what you want.