This Page contains some general information about the Region 01 Awards Program. Complete and more detailed information can be found in the STARFLEET Region 01 Awards and Ceremonies Manual. This page was designed to answer some basic information about the program.
If the answers you seek are not located on, these pages then please contact the Director at email@example.com.
1. Why should I get the Awards Manual or the Ceremonies Manual ?
The Manuals serve as a reference guide to the awards program and to gives information about the awards program that is vital to the regional personnel desiring to take advantage to the program benefits. It provides crucial information about the regional awards program including what awards are available, the criteria for each, and information how the annual awards work (and more). The manuals took over two solar years of research and development and are about 60 pages in length.
2. What information is included in the Manuals?
The STARFLEET REGION One Awards Manual has the following information: A listing of all the people who sweated to make this program possible and why we have it. How to recommend an award and who can do the recommending. A listing of the various Individual, Civilian, Unit, Scholastic, and Annual Awards, How the Annual awards are done. Information on the Region 01 Award Ribbons, and how to wear them. The Ceremonies Manual has information on how to put together a chapter ceremony. How to put together a STARFLEET Ball, Award Ceremony, Commissioning Ceremony, Change of Command Ceremony, Marriage Ceremony, Memorial Observance, Retirement and Going-Away Parties and invitation formats. A must for all Region One Chapters.
3. Who can receive Region One Awards? Any active SFI member, pre-chapter(chapter in training), chapter, or department currently assigned to STARFLEET Region One, or any Civilian or Civilian organization (other Trek, other SFI-FI)or Non Region One member that assists a Region One chapter.
4. Who can recommend Regional members for awards?
The awards can be recommended by members of the EC such as the Commander STARFLEET, or the Vice Commander STARFLEET. Recommendation may also come from any Region One Officers such as the Regional Coordinator (R1), Regional Staff Members (VRCs, RDCs), Chapter Commanders, Chapter XOs, and Chapter Department Chiefs, Away Team or UnitT Leaders. Officers above the Chapter Commander can recommend awards for anyone in the Region for any action that directly benefits Region One, any Department, or Chapter in Region One . Chapter Commanders and XOs can recommend Regional Awards for any member of their crew and so on. Regional members may also recommend other regional members for awards for actions they have first hand knowledge of. We ask that you also notify that member's CO to let them know. Awards on the Chapter level need to be approved by either the Commanding Officer or Executive Officer. Be sure to see the the information in the Awards Manual Appendix.
5. How often can I submit member of my crew for Awards?
We suggest that chapters submit their recommendations annually or quarterly. We would like to receive the recommendations at least one month before you need them for your awards presentations. We encourage all Regional Personnel to use the program as often as possible.
6. Does everyone who is recommended for an award receive one?
NO, but a majority are! The STARFLEET Region One awards were not designed to be given out like Candy but designed to recognize those that have gone the extra mile. Before recommending an award, the Recommending Officer must first be certain that the award is warranted in the first place. Awards must not be recommended for a member or unit that simply performs their duty as expected. Usually, if you have to ask yourself if the award is warranted, then it probably isn't. Typically, a member/unit has made a SIGNIFICANT accomplishment or achievement; or has performed their duty with ABOVE average zeal and diligence. This is what should be considered and noted. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE ADEQUATE DETAILS or DOCUMENTATION WITH THE RECOMMENDATIONS (see the Appendix in the Awards Manual). In addition, you can't get multiple regional award from a single action or award entry.
7. Can I get Awards for Stuff that I did a long time ago? If you have certain awards like OTS or OCC. Current Regional DSAs or other awards that you have a certificate for you can get the ribbon for these. Just provide a copy of the Awards Certificate.
8. The Awards Manual states that recommendations need to be approved by my immediate supervisor, why is this? Recommendations at the chapter level, they need to be approved by at least the Commanding Officer or First Officer..
9. Are the awards certificates FREE?
Yes - this is another change in the program. So long as the Awards Program can continue to generate funds to support the printing of the initial certificates. However, we do ask that those requesting awards certificates provide adequate postage and/or a large SASE. Also we limit only 1 certificate per recipient. Additional copies of award certificates can be purchased for $1. The only conditions are that the the certificates are issued to the original recipients and the award was issued less than six months ago..
10. Where can I purchase the Award Ribbons, Ribbon Holder, and Devices? Award Ribbon and Devices and be ordered from the R1 Awards Director. The form is located on the home page of the R1 Awards site.
11. What are 'UNIT' Awards A Unit is a any body of STARFLEET Members who work together on a project or task (it a Team) This could be an away team, a chapter department, the chapter, members of different chapters. We ask that the team leader submit the group for the award.
12. Where do I send my recommendations?
To the Awards Director. Annual Awards are submitted to the Deputy Director if one exists or else directly to the Awards Director. Alternatively you can use the on-line form to submit most award recommendations.
13. Is the Awards Program open to ideas for new awards?
ABSOLUTELY !! The Awards Program is designed to recognize the works and accomplishments of the members and chapters in the Region. If you have an idea for a new award that is NOT covered by an existing award that you feel is needed, give the details to your Senior Captain and they will present it to the awards Committee. This is your Awards Program.
14. Why is the Region using the triangular Ribbons as seen in The Original Series instead of the bar ribbons as seen in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country?
The ribbons used are identical to the triangular ribbons seen on the dress tunics in the classic "Star Trek" series. Of course, "Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country" used award ribbons that were the familiar rectangular military ribbons similar to those used today by the military, the Police, and even the Civil Air Patrol. The triangular ribbons are more distinctive and recognizable amongst Trek fans. The ribbons are distinctive of STARFLEET Region One (and a few other regions) and are not available anywhere else (except STARFLEET), thus persons outside the organization cannot obtain them for purposes other than for their intended purpose: for display by decorated STARFLEET Region One members!
15. How will these ribbons look on the Newer Uniforms as seen in the latest TNG Movies and DS9?
The Awards Manual has diagrams that show how you can wear the ribbons on the formals and standard duty uniforms.You can also wear these ribbons on your club jacket.
16. Who is on the Awards Committee? The STARFLEET Region 01 Awards Committee consists of all the R1Regional Coordinator ,R1 RDC Program Director, R1 Awards Director, the R1Deputy Director, and Vice Regional Coordinators also serve as ex facto members.
17.If I have questions, comments or suggestions for the awards program, who do I send them to? You can send them to the Awards Director. The Awards Committee will discuss them and get more information on the idea if necessary.
STARFLEET ANNUAL AWARD INFO
Listed below are some General FAQ on the STARFLEET Annual Awards. If you have any further questions about the awards please either refer to the STARFLEET REGION ONE AWARDS AND CEREMONIES MANUAL page 15 or contact the Awards Director. All questions are answered as quickly as possible.