Controlling Documents Procedure
Controlling documents is key to controlling the quality of your
- Directors, managers,
ensure information is effectively selected, managed, & used to
support key processes & activities and improve overall performance.
- Writers ensure documents are adequate, comprehensive, clear,
concise, & accurate.
- Writers ensure document names are
adequate, comprehensive, clear, concise, & accurate. This is
critical for retrieval because ABC’s
default search engine is by document name.
- Writers write
most documents with a word processing application (e.g., Word or ABC’s
DCS) to ensure legibility.
- Writers publish documents,
excluding sensitive personnel records, in ABC’s DCS. Writers store
sensitive personnel records in personnel files located at each site.
- In ABC’s DCS, writers configure who can view documents by company,
role, & security clearance level.
- Writers specify in
the document title the external origin of documents.
describe changes made to a document when submitting for approval.
- ABC’s DCS provides unique document numbers & revision numbers.
- ABC’s DCS provides approval workflows (parallel groups &
- Directors & managers setup approval
workflows as necessary.
- Writers submit documents to
appropriate approval workflow.
- Approvers ensure all of the
above was done as necessary.
- ABC’s DCS provides effective
& efficient retrieval of documents at point of use via the web.
- ABC’s DCS controls distribution of documents as configured.
- ABC’s DCS maintains obsolete documents & old revisions but
doesn’t display them unless specified.
- ABC’s DCS displays
document number, revision number, revision history, change descriptions,
issue date, & approval workflow for each document.
review documents, update, & submit for re-approval as necessary.
- Users/readers review documents & make them obsolete as
- Director of IT ensures electronic documents are
secure & backed up.
- Internal Auditors monitor all of
- ABC = Fake name of company used in our procedures.
Document = Any document that cannot be changed, revised, modified, or
obsoleted without prior approval.
- DCS = Document Control
System for users to write, approve, publish, find, & read controlled
- Writer = Every reader/user can also be a