Dera Ghazi Khan the Royal City of Balochistan until anglo time of 1857. But later British Empire separated it from Balochistan and it formed as the Division of Punjab Province in recent Pakistan. D.G. Khan was founded by Ghazi Khan in 1494 A.D. Dera Ghazi Khan always remained the center of Balochi Culture and civilization. It forms three major areas in its depth and they are Tribal Areas, semi Tribal Areas, and Nun Tribal Areas.
D.G. Khan contains one of Pakistan’s main Textile Industries. All five rivers of Punjab including the Indus River flow through out this region. And combine them into one near Kot Mithan. Main Tribes of Dera Ghazi Khan includes Lighari,Mazari,Khosa, Rind, Qaisrani, Lakani and Umrani and Buzdar.
There are many tribes in D.G.Khan. Buzdar is one of them. It has many sub-tribes such as Rustomani Bahdurani Jalalani , Dostalani, Bajrani Baliani, Ladwani,Merrkhani Lashari, and Bohur.
Basti Rind is away from Dera Ghazi Khan at 50KM.which is involved in Shadan Lond union Council.
Dera Ghazi Khan (Saraiki, Urdu: ڈیرہ غازی خان) is a city located in Dera Ghazi Khan District, Punjab, Pakistan. Dera Ghazi Khan is one of the most populous cities in Southern Punjab and it is the largest district in Punjab in terms of area, being approximately 5,306 square miles (13,740 km2) in extent.
The city was founded at the close of the 15th century and named after Nawab Ghazi Khan Mirrani, son of Nawab Haji Khan Mirrani, a Balochichieftain, who had declared independence from the Langhi Dynasty Sultans of Multan. Together with two other Deras i.e. settlements, Dera Ismail Khan and Dera Fateh Khan, it gave its name to Derajat. Derajat eventually came into the possession of the British after the Sikh War in 1849 and was divided into two districts: Dera Ghazi Khan and Dera Ismail Khan. After the partition of India, many of the city’s Hindu residents settled in Derawal Nagar colony of Delhi, India. The district of Rajanpur was later carved out of the Dera Ghazi Khan district. Some of them also settled in various part of India, including Bhiwani, Delhi, Jhansi, Ranchi, Ambala and Haridwar.
Dera Ghazi Khan was founded in 15th century by Amar a Tribal Sardar of Mirani tribe. The old city of Dera Ghazi Khan was situated at the distance of 10 miles (16 km) towards east of the present city. In 1908, the old city of Dera Ghazi Khan was abolished due to heavy flood in the river Indus. Resultantly the existing city of Dera Ghazi Khan was came into being in the year 1910. The city is divided into different blocks. The British ruler established colonial system in the continent and declared D.G. Khan as district in the year 1849. General Court Land was appointed as first Deputy Commissioner of this District. Keeping in view the rapidly increasing population of the area and deteriorating law and order situation district D.G. Khan was divided in two districts i.e. D.G. Khan and Rajanpur. Presently there are two revenue sub division of the District. A tribal belt/political area spread along with western side of the District.
Dera Ghazi Khan city of Sohail Leghari is situated on the western bank of the Indus river. It was founded by a Balouch ruler, nawab Haji Khan Mirrani, also called Mirani Balouch, in 1476; he named the town after his son Ghazi Khan Mirrani. In those days, game abounded near Dera Ghazi Khan and the fields were green. Haji Khan Mirrani was a great cattle owner and was attracted to the site by the plentiful supply of grass. It was known as “Dera Phoolan Tha Sehra” due to plenty of gardens and kastori canal, supplied by the Indus river.
In 1909-10, this cradle of Mirrani civilisation was inundated by the Indus. At that time, there was a population of about 23,731. The present town was built 10 miles (16 km) from the old town. It was laid out on a grid pattern comprising 66 blocks with wide long roads and streets. Two open spaces were planned in each block for social gatherings. Some of these have been encroached upon.
The population of the new developed town in 1911 was 18,446. This 2.22% decrease of population was due to dislocation of population after the destruction of the previous settlement.
In the year 1913, the Municipal Committee came in to existence. At that time, the area of the town was very small. Physical growth continued and now the area was about 4 square miles (10 km2). The major growth of the town has taken place since 1947. The town has largely spread to the north and south; it could not expand to the west due to the danger of flooding torrents such as affected the town in 1955. However, growth has also taken place in the eastern side. Almost all of the new developments in north and east of the planned town are haphazardly built.
The development in the town from 1947 to 1958 remained slow, due to lack of transportation and communication facilities. Only a boat bridge on the river Indus in winter season and steamer service for summer season linked Dera Ghazi Khan with the rest of the Punjab. Taunsa Barrage on river Indus was completed in 1953 and the pace of development gained momentum. During the last 5 years, 72 industrial units were established. Ghazi Textile mills is another attempt to establish a heavy industrial complex in order to raise the economic base of the town.
These are some of Saraiki and Urdu writers of Dera Ghazi Khan
Dera Ghazi Khan is located at 30’03″ N and 70’38″ E. The overall climate of the city is dry with scanty rain fall. The winter is not very cold and the climate is hot during the remaining part of the year, but it is very hot in summer. The temperature during summer is usually about 115 °F (46 °C). While during winter season the mercury goes down as far as 40 °F (4 °C). The direction of the winds being North-South through out the year. Due to barren mountain of Koh-Suleman and sandy soil of the area, windstorm are very common in Summer season especially in July-August Period. The Summer season of the district usually touches the highest point of temperature is Pakistan.
Fort Munro, located on edge of Punjab Province, in Dist. D.G. Khan holds relatively cooler weather. In Winter, scattered snowfall is also reported in this area.
As well as being district capital – Dera Ghazi Khan is also the capital of Dera Ghazi Khan Tehsil, an administrative subdivision of the district. The city of Dera Ghazi Khan is itself administratively subdivided into seven Union Councils.. Khosa and, leghari and Qaisrani tribes are politically active in this region. Sardar Dost Mohammad Khosa is ex-chief Minister and current Provincial Minister. His father Sardar Zulfiqar Ali Khan Khosa is Senior Adviser to chief Minister and Ex-Governor of Punjab. Sardar Farooq Ahmed Khan Leghari is MNA from city and Ex-President of Pakistan.
City’s court and judiciary system need some improvement. Roads along with whole infrastructure of the city is in miserable condition due to negligence of the administration. This situation can be improved by better management and a relatively increased budgetary expenditures for the under-developed area of D.G.Khan.
Tomb of Ghazi Khan
The tomb of Ghazi Khan was built in the beginning of 15th century. This seems like the tomb of Shah Rukn-e-Alam in Multan. This is present in the Mulla Qaid Shah Graveyard. Its main gate is from eastern side and two small doors are in side of north and south. In it there are 11 graves, which are of the family of Ghazi Khan. Every side of the tomb is 13 feet (4.0 m) and 3 inches (76 mm) from inner side and which are conical minarets from out side. Its circular distance from the earth is 17 feet (5.2 m) and half. The half diameter of the conical minarets remains 34 inches (860 mm) on the highet of 19 feet (5.8 m). There are 28 ladders from northern side in the internal side. The Graveyard came into being due to the tomb of Ghazi Khan. This is the oldest building of the city Dera Ghazi Khan.
In front of central jail there is a residential colony named Canal Colony. The church yard is situated in the northern side of the colony. This is the unique church yard which is situated in the walls on its four sides. This church yard could not spread because of minority of the Christian in the local area. This was came into being in the year 1910.
Shah Bagh Mosque
After the destruction of the old Dera Ghazi Khan when the people of Dera Ghazi Khan shifted in the new city, this was the first Mosque where they performed their first Jumma Namaz. It is in the Block No. 7. In the city people performed their first Jumma Namaz behind the Mutawali of the Mosque named Syed Bagh Ali Shah. So it named after the Imam of that time.
This is the biggest Masjid of the city. Which was constructed in year 1916. There is a large pool in the Masjid which is used for making ablution. It has a big hall whose length is 100 feet (30 m) and width is 45 feet (14 m), in which 3,000 persons can say their prayer at one time. Its courtyard is also wide in which 10,000 men can say their prayer. The minarets of the Masjid are 85 feet (26 m) high in which there are 100 ladders.
Fort Munro is a hill station in Dera Ghazi Khan which lies on the Quetta Road at 85 km from Dera Ghazi Khan city in the Sulaiman Mountains Range. Its altitude is 1800 meters (6,470 feet) above sea level and attracts many people for short stays during the summer.
Taunsa Barrage is situated in the northern side of the city D.G. Khan at the distance of 60 km. It is worth seeing place. It is also a good picnic point. Many school trips and families use to go for recreation.
Its area is 81 canals and 3 marlas. Divisional Public School and Wild Life Park was also the part of DC Garden. Although it is administrative and residential area but it has natural greenery same like past. D.G. Khan administration has made the D.G. Khan officers club, where the officers use to play games like squash, badminton, and tennis. It has the beautiful building in this area. Govt. employees, advocates, politicians, journalists, and the local people are also the member of this club.
This is called the second garden of the city. East Indian Company made the company bagh in every district. This is known as company bagh. Its area is 162 canals and 12 Marlas. In 1948 a friends club was made in this area. Company bagh is used to play Football, Hockey, Volley Ball, Badminton, Table Tennis and for other games.
This is the one of the beautiful parks of the city. This is also known as Behari Park. It is only one park of the city where the entrance is not with out ticket. Exhibition has arranged in one time in the year since 1999. the time of this exhibition is February to March.
The River Bank of River Indus
The western bank of the river Indus is a peaceful picnic point for the peoples of D.G. Khan. From here the view of the river is looks like most beautiful. It is also known as the name of GHAZI GHAT. Ghazi Ghat welcomes the people of upper Punjab before entering in the city D.G. Khan.
D. G. Khan Zoo is recently re-developed like Lahore Zoo but not as big as the later one is. It is a good place for recreation. It has many types of animals and birds. It is known as wild life park Dera Ghazi Khan.
The following shopping Markets/Centres are situated in City D.G. Khan:
The prominent employers in Dera Ghazi Khan are the D.G. Khan Cement Company, Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission and the Al-Ghazi Tractor Company. It is considered that these companies, along with various other flour mills, companies in the cotton, chemical, textileindustries, as well as rice, sugar, and ghee mills, form the backbone of the Pakistan’s economy. However, private sector investment is increasing rapidly from previous few years and a large number of Private Banks, National Corporations are offering their services in the City.
Dera Ghazi has a literacy rate of 40 percent which is relatively low as compared to the national level.
The City has a variety of Schools both by the Public Sector and Private Sector. Government High School No. 1 being the most prominent and old School of the city, holds several academic as well as extra-curricular awards. Three high (matriculation) school for girls and 4 for boys provide enough facilitation to the youth in context of education. The city also include branches of famous private School-Chains nationwide like; Bloomfield Hall School (BHS), The City School (TCS), The Educators, AIMS etc.
D.G.Khan have 7 Govt. colleges, 1 Degree college for boys, 2 Degree colleges for women. 1 commerce college for boys and girls and one Thechnical college. The medical college in the city is under construction. Several Private Sector Colleges are also performing in the city to get a skilled and literate youth.
Virtual University of Pakistan has established its campus here since 2004 which is providing both campus based and distance learning education primarily based on IT tools & technology. There are sub-campuses of BZ University Multan and University of Education, and UAF College of Agriculture (constituent college of University of Agriculture Faisalabad). Other prominent educational organization is Allama Iqbal Open University Centre.
Bahauddin Zakariya University Multan, Sub Campus D.G. Khan
BZU, Multan’s Sub Campus in D.G.Khan is the most prestigious institute of the area, provinding education to the people in Business Administration, Computer Science, Economics, English and Sociology. The campus is ofering BBA, MBA, MBA Executive, MBA-IT, MBA Evening, BBA Evening, and Master of Science (MSc.) and Master of Arts (M.A) in various fields which includes English, Sociology, Economics, Physics, Electronics, Mathematics, Political Science and Computer Science.
In D.G Khan, there is a civil hospital called the Divisional Headquarters Hospital, along with many private hospitals and labs. The number of beds is being doubled from 250 to 500 in DHQ. Along with the DHQ there are several Private Hospital working for the walfare of the People of D.G. Khan. The overall conditions of public health are miserable in the city and need improvement.
Dera Ghazi Khan is a rich agricultural land with cotton, wheat, sugarcane, rice, tobacco being the major crops grown. Dera Ghazi Khan is also well known for its dates. The district is now connected by railroad with other parts of the country including Multan, Lahore, Karachi and Quetta. The railway was built by the British before the partition of India.
“How Pakistan Made Nuclear Fuel” by Munir Ahmad Khan, former chairperson of the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission: Islamabad The Nation 7 February 1998, page 7 [Pakistan: Article on How Pakistan Made Nuclear Fuel : FBIS-NES-98-042 : 11 Feb 1998].