Journal‎ > ‎

01/18/2012 - My Team

posted Jan 18, 2012, 3:19 PM by Kelli Daniels
    It was so good to be back at practice this morning.  After the Marathon Trials in Houston last weekend, I had a really hard time getting back into the swing of things.  I wouldn't be surprised if the weather was a contributing factor to my funk for the past few days.  I came from short-sleeves in Texas to winds in the upper 20 mph's and windchills in the teens in Indiana.  I felt super-tired and run down.  I was uninterested in training or running, and I felt burnt out.  The idea of taking a week or two off with no running at all was extremely appealing.  All I wanted to do was lay around and go to bed early and sleep in late.  So, unfortunately, I missed my workouts on Monday and Tuesday.  But, fortunately, I would not let myself miss practice with my Back on My Feet team this morning.

    I got up and out and it was such a relief to get to practice.  I was so happy to see everyone.  It felt like ages since I had seen Rob and Shane and Katie and Karen.  It was also comforting to know that we were going to get some miles in together, and I wouldn't have to do it all by myself.  We split up into our groups for the fartlek and headed out on the roads.  A few miles into the workout, my group came to a light at a busy intersection that was changing.  We were in the middle of a hard interval, so we were running really fast (the 8-9 minute pace group is really gung-ho about their hard intervals).  The front runners in our group shot out across the intersection in front of the cars, but by the time I reached the intersection, I didn't feel comfortable going.  So I waited.  By the time the cars cleared, the front runners were gone.  I couldn't even see them as they had disappeared around a bend and into the darkness ahead.  The four or so of us who hadn't made it through the intersection turned left to continue our workout and ran smack into the 9-10 minute mile pace group.  After the dissolution of our fast pace group, I was happy to join the much more relaxed and non-death-defying group for the remainder of the workout.  I finished up with Rob and Joan, among others, and headed back to the Progress House after a nice workout that was refreshingly challenging, but not too difficult.

    At the closing circle, Dave announced that an email had been sent out a few weeks ago to our team about me running the Boston Marathon.  I didn't know that an email had been sent to the whole team.  I'm a little embarrassed about having so much attention directed toward me, but I really appreciate the team's help and support in getting me to Boston (both in terms of training and fundraising).  I really couldn't do this without the team.  If it hadn't been for practice this morning, I'm not sure I would have been able to get myself out of bed and get a workout done at all.  The power of a team you care about and respect and feel accountable to is surprisingly strong.  Today I was very grateful for that.