TRAVEL TOWN MUSEUM FOUNDATION (Griffith Park, LA)
P.O. Box 39846 - Griffith Station
Los Angeles, CA 90039
Nancy Gneier, Executive Director 323-668-0104
Julie and Volunteer Managers 323-668-0104 ext. 12
Travel Town Gift Shop (Open Daily) 323-662-4253 ext. 11
Gift Shop Manager 323-668-0104 ext. 12
Operations Office & Birthday Party Reservations 323-662-5874
(1) Directions to Travel Town. (2) An aerial view of Travel Town.
Photographs & Videos
Photos from my field trip...
Force, Work, Energy, Energy Conversion, Power, Kinematics, Dynamics, Thermodynamics, Simple Machines, Ideal Mechanical Advantage, the History of Transportation.
Grade Eight, Focus on Physical Sciences:
1. a-f: motion
2. a, b, d, e: forces
5. c: Heat flow in reactions
Grades Nine-Twelve, Physics:
1. a-c: motion and force
3. a-b: heat & thermodynamics
Grades Nine-Twelve, Chemistry:
7. b: chemical thermodynamics, exothermic & endothermic
Description of the Field Trip
(1) Print out a copy of the Study Guide.
(2) Bring a tape measure, calculator, and pad of paper on which to record your observations (qualitative data) and measurements (quantitative data).
(3) Wear sturdy shoes for climbing over rails and up into the cabs of some of the locomotives; no flip flops! Also, bring water to drink and a hat if it's a hot day.
(4) If it is Saturday, the hot dog man may be there around lunch-time. The Toy Store has many interesting souvenirs. And a ticket to ride the train costs $2.50. My point? Admission may be free, but bring some cash with you if you want to do purchase any of these.
(5) Plan to spend about two hours on your field trip. The activities on the Study Guide may be completed in any order.
(6) Complete all the calculations on your Study Guide, and turn it in to me the next time you come to class. Learn something!
Print out your own copy of the Study Guide to accompany your trip to Travel Town.
See the Study Guide for any questions you have to answer.
References and Links
(1) Travel Town Museum Foundation (American Southwestern Railway Assoc., Inc.)
(2) Travel Town Museum (LA Department of Recreation & Parks website)
(3) Travel Town Museum (Wikipedia article)
(4) Travel Town Railroad & Museum (youtube video)