Question: How will various covering materials affect the number of leaves of Lima bean plants over time?
Hypothesis: If we plant Lima bean seeds under 3 different coverings of plastic wrap, aluminium foil, and none (control), then the seeds with the plastic wrap will grow the most leaves.
Independent variable: Time
Dependent variable: number of leaves
Series: covering material
3 plastic cups (with 5 small holes in bottom)
Organic Choice Potting Mix (Miracle Growth)
15 Lima Beans seeds
Water (30 mL for each set-up daily)
Dennis' balcony :-)
1 cup with potting mix, one Lima bean, no covering.
Experiment 1 - Plastic wrap:
1 cup with potting mix, one Lima bean, covered with plastic wrap
Experiment 2 - Aluminium foil:
1 cup with potting mix, one Lima bean, covered with aluminium foil.
1. Add approximately 45 grams of potting mix to each plastic cup.
2. Plant five Lima beans in each cup, approximately 1 inch below the surface of the soil.
3. Add 30 mL of water to each cup.
4. Cover Experiment 1 with plastic wrap. Cover Experiment 2 with Aluminium foil. Leave the control experiment uncovered.
5. Drive to Dennis' apartment and place them on the balcony.
6. Water beans with 30 mL of water every other day by removing the cover, adding the water, and carefully coving the cup again.
7. Take photos every other day.
Day 3 of experiment.
Day 6 of experiment.
Day 9 of experiment.
Day 12 of experiment.
Day 15 of experiment.
Day 18 of experiment.
Day 20 of experiment. Day 20 of experiment.