Secondary Science Licenses

There are different pathways to a science license, which depend on your major and your minor (or the equivalent if you are a post-bac or graduate student).  For an Early Adolescent to Adolescent (EA/A) license in one of the science disciplines below, you must have a major or major equivalent in an approved secondary education licensure program (e.g., one of the sciences below, or mathematics, social studies, English, or World Languages).  To attach or add an EA/A science license onto an approved secondary license in another discipline, you must have the equivalent of a science minor.

Biology, #605, via the equivalent of either the Biology - Cell Physiology BSE, or the Biology - Ecology/Field BSE,
or Biology Minor with a Secondary Major.

Chemistry, #610, via the equivalent of the Chemistry Education BSE,
or Chemistry Minor with a Secondary Major.

Earth and Space Science, #635, via an individualized major and licensure courses,
or Geology Minor plus Astronomy 112 or 114 with a Secondary Major.

Environmental Studies, #615, via the minor equivalent, but only as an add-on to a Secondary Major license.

Physics, #625, via the equivalent of the Physics BSE,
or Physics Education Minor with a Secondary Major.

Broadfield Science, #601, is only offered as an add-on to a Secondary Science Major license.  See the Science Education Program coordinator for the required courses, as these depend on the science major and minor combinations. 

Physical Science, #637, requires the equivalent of minors in both Physics AND Chemistry.  Typically, students who pursue this license earn a major in either Chemistry or Physics, and a minor in the other.

*Note that while UWW does offer a physical science minor, it is NOT sufficient for licensure at the secondary level.