A. 2016 Burns

Jerry Baugh Burn 2/24/16

Jerry and Shirley Baugh have recently started trying to restore native grasses to their farm near Rosanky in Bastrop County. With a heavy load of coastal bermuda grass on the property, they have removed all the livestock and plan to plant native grass seeds.  Their firs major step is to burn the grass in preparation for seeding.



The first burn in the process is 50 acres broken into two separate burn units.

 

The fuel was dormant bermuda grass.
 

Good firebreaks make safe fires.
 

Good opportunity for the neighbors to drive by and see how well the burn went.
 




Brown Burn 1/24/16

Mark and Cheryl Brown are continuing work on their native grass restoration efforts near Ammansville in Fayette County. 


The goal was to burn both Unit 1on the west and Unit 2 on the east, for a total of about 29 ac.

 

Pre-burn briefing in Mark's shop led by James Robinson, burn boss.
 

The test fire showed we had adequate wind, but the fuel load was low, the RH was marginal (high) and the fire did not progress rapidly.
 

Eventually we were able to get Unit 1 to burn completely.
 

By the time we got to Unit 2, the temperature had dropped slightly, the RH had increased slightly, and we could not get the the fire to carry though the fuel. We returned 2/4/16 when conditions were better, but we were still unable to get the fire to keep going. Maybe next year.




Koehler Burn 1/29/16



B.R. and Charlene Koehler have worked for several years to restore their land near Sealy to a more natural condition. They have removed invasive brush and established native grasses and forbs. Now they need to use fire to help maintain the native species and keep out the woodies.


There are two separate fields to burn. Field 3 (on the east) is 15 ac. Field 4 on the west is 10 ac.  They are separated by a field that belongs to someone else. The wind needs to be generally from the south to avoid putting smoke on Sealy.

 

Gathering for the pre-burn briefing.
 

Going over the ignition sequence and assigning jobs.
 

Lots of fuel ready to burn.
 

With good wind and low RH, Field 3 burned well.
 

Field 4 also had good fuel, but not so good firebreaks. We had to use a wetline technique, which was slow. We finally ran out of time and had to terminate the burn early.
 

We returned Feb 5 to finish Field 4 after working on the firebreaks.


All went well in finishing Field 4 with the improved firebreaks and good weather.