SCSC08 - Strings and Cosmology
Student Conference 2008
October 30 and 31
SCSC08 is the first of what is hoped to become an annual theoretical physics student conference which will gather graduate students from French and British Universities and which will be held alternatively in Paris and London.
The aims are to:
- Bring together graduate students from British and French universities working in the area of string theory and theoretical cosmology,
- Encourage future collaborations and discussion,
- Hold a series of review talks on current issues in string theory and theoretical cosmology,
- Give graduate students an opportunity to prepare and deliver a pedagogical 30 minute review talk on research level topics.
Here are the slides:
Marc Lilley, GreCo-IAP
David Andriot, LPTHE
Raphael Benichou, LPTENS
TALKS AND REGISTRATION
Registration is now closed.
The list of speakers is available in PDF format by clicking here.
The list of all participants is available in PDF format by clicking here.
The schedule is available in PDF format by clicking here.
The list of those participating to the conference dinner is here.
Thursday October 30 from 12h30 to 19h,
Friday October 31 from 8h30 to 19h.
11, rue Pierre et Marie Curie - 75005 Paris
Registration to the dinner is now closed.
The address is:
Le Petit Cardinal, 29 rue Monge, 75005 Paris
metro Cardinal Lemoine
We will meet at
8pm sharp on Thursday the 30th.
Please email us ASAP if you require
a special meal (e.g. vegetarian, vegan, etc.)
FORMAT AND DETAILS
- 1 day and a 1/2 conference starting at mid-day on Thursday October 30, ending in the evening of Friday October 31.
- Will be held at the Institut Henri Poincaré in the heart of the "quartier Latin".
- The intent is to ask selected speakers to give 30 minute introductory review talks on a current issue in string theory or theoretical cosmology preferably related to their area of research.
- A conference dinner will be held on the Thursday evening (the cost of this dinner will not be covered by any of the event's sponsors).
- The hope is to gather a total of 30 to 40 participants,
- The number of speakers is restricted to about 20.
- Lunches and coffee breaks will be funded by the Institut d'Astrophysique de Paris (IAP).
- Hotel costs for one night for non-local participants will be covered by the Federation de Recherches en Interactions Fondamentales (FRIF).
- The French embassy in London, the British embassy in Paris, the network Strings In Greater Paris will fund travel costs for non-local participants. Expense claim forms will be handed out at the conference.
- The funding provided for travel will cover up to 150 Euros. Therefore, a participation by each participant's research department may be required should that amount be short of the cost of travel.
- The conference starts at 12h30 sharp on Thursday October 30. The exact location is Institut Henri Poincaré, Amphithéatre Darboux, 11 rue Pierre et Marie Curie, 75005 Paris, the subway line is RER B, station Luxembourg.
- Subway maps and information can be found here. Information on how to find the Institut Henri Poincaré can be found here.
- The conference ends on the Friday at 7pm.
- The Eurostar that participants based in the UK need to take in order to be on time leaves London at 8h32 am. You are urged to take this train in order to take full advantage of the conference.
- You will be able to store your luggage in the Institute on Thursday afternoon.
- Transportation, up to a total amount of 150 Euros will be reimbursed by filing an expense claim form together with the travel tickets.
- A hotel booking has been made for a total of 30 people and has been paid for at Hôtel Cujas Pantheon -18 rue Cujas - 75005 Paris - Tel: 01 43 54 58 10. Please note that there will be single and shared rooms and the simplest is that they be allocated on a first come first serve basis. If you wish to extend your stay over the week-end, please do so by making your own arrangements.
- For those who wish to make their own hotel bookings for the week-end, some options can be found here.
- Lunches and coffee breaks will be provided at no cost on Thursday and Friday.
- We have scheduled a conference dinner on the Thursday night, which will be at your own cost.