Home‎ > ‎Glossary‎ > ‎

Glossary-C



 








Showing 2 items
WordExplantionNotes
Sort 
 
Sort 
 
Sort 
 
WordExplantionNotes
Cape Evans Six miles from Cape Royds, on the west coast of Ross Island. Discovered in 1902 by Scott, who named it The Skuary. Coming back in 1911, Scott renamed it on Jan. 2 that year for E R G R Evans, and used it as his base. 77 38'S, 166 24'E  Antarctica, An Encyclopedia Vol 11 by Johnh Stewart, 1990 
Cape Adare A prominent cape of black basalt which is in visual contrast to the rest of the snow-covered coast, forming the N tip of Adare Peninsula. The cape marks the NE extremity of Victoria Land and the W side of the entrance to the Ross Sea. Discovered in Jan. 1841 by Capt. James Ross, RN, who named it for his friend Viscount Adare, M.P. for Glamorganshire. 71 17 S 170 14 E New Zealand Gazetteer of Official Geographic Names (9 September 2010) New Zealand Geographic Board Nga Pou Taunaha o Aotearoa 
Showing 2 items
Comments