Home‎ > ‎11-Boomerang Glacier climb‎ > ‎


Campbell, Levick, and Dickason had returned earlier from their climb and now altogether they discussed the days outcome.  Priestly reported  to Campbell:

  ...that I  considered the Boomerang Glacier quite passable for sledges, but that with the present snowy conditions, it would take a week to traverse it as far as I could see and I could not see from the highest point we  reached whether it joined the Melbourne Glacier well above the ice-falls or not.

Campbell reported on his climb:                                           

On reaching the top we found to our disgust another ridge blocking our view to the NW and separated from us by an ice col along which it was impossible to go. However, the view from where we were was very fine in every other direction, in spite of our  being only about 3,000 ft. up. Looking down on the Mt. Melbourne neck, we had first proposed crossing. I saw to my surprise the flat ice on top of the neck was heavily crevassed, which might be due to the glacier being of comparatively recent origin, and not having had time to wear its bed smooth.

Still in the hope of finding a route to Wood Bay, they decided that tomorrow they would move down the Browning Pass then head north following the main glacier towards, what they were to name, the Priestley Glacier.  To quote from Campbell’s diary:

 Even if unsuccessful we should be breaking new ground, and Priestley could put in some good collecting from the different moraines, while I surveyed.

Tomorrow, the plan was for Campbell, Priestley, and Dickason to go down the northern side of Browning Pass carrying out new geological and surveying work. While Levick, Abbott and Browning head down the southern side collecting from the different rock exposures and photographing some areas noted on the upward journey.  They were to all meet at the northern side of the entrance to the Browning Pass.

All tired, but satisfied the days work, they crawled into their sleeping bags and had a well-deserved  sleep.

Finally, Priestley wrote about this day as being possibly the hardest day yet on the expedition and being so tired, that this night was the first he did not write up his notes.


Page 6 of 7